Limp mode but no Cel.

Rjg

Yes, is the sensor in there? That connector on your linked part look very much like the same as on the throttle body. 

If you do the throttle body reset by leaving ignition on and not touching throttle you will hear the throttle butterfly flick over the high pitch whine after about 40 seconds. 

46 minutes ago, Rjg said:

Btw the throttle body butterfly is absolutely rigid and I’m not going to try and force it to move bit if 

I’ve got this right that would point to a faulty TPS , yes?

Apologies I missed Paul’s posted video and it seems I need a complete new EGas throttle body. Damn.

48 minutes ago, edc said:

If you do the throttle body reset by leaving ignition on and not touching throttle you will hear the throttle butterfly flick over the high pitch whine after about 40 seconds. 

Have tried that before removing the TB, no change.

Will look at the connector in the morning but I think Paul P’s posted video points towards a new TB.

53 minutes ago, Rjg said:

Apologies I missed Paul’s posted video and it seems I need a complete new EGas throttle body. Damn.

They should only be about £90

If I can find my stuff in my garage I might even have one there when I swapped it out for a 74mm one on my old car. 

if the butterfly is supposed to move when poked ( no 1st hand knowledge of that ) and it's stuck then for sure there's a candidate for replacement, but, ( and of course - your car your call ) I think some diags with porsche smarts would help figure out what's going on without having to throw parts at the problem.

There are some units out there (icarsoft por v1 or v2) units that might be useful for this and anything going forward - or there might be someone near you who could lend a hand or a unit to see if there are any signs of a root cause.

good luck either way - hope you get it sorted soon.

21 hours ago, Rjg said:

D86D51D6-7FF2-4EBE-9B62-D0E36C12A6ED.jpeg

This is an electronic Throttle Body (eTB) - it does not have a separate position sensor as shown in the video you linked to.

The throttle pedal has a potentiometer that drives the stepper motor in the eTB.

Suggest reconnecting it to the wiring harness and just sit it on the engine, no need to reconnect anything else.  Then put the car into the Throttle ReCalibration routine and see if the butterfly moves during that reset process.  You might need someone there to help either watch the eTB or to instigate the routine.  If it doesn't move then maybe source a good used example - if @edc can't put their hands on one there may be a spare in my own stash. Let me know if that's the case and I'll take a look.

The stepper motor controls open and close so I would expect to feel resistance on both directions when trying to manually move it.

From personal experience a failing/failed throttle pedal sensor will not show up on diagnostics - including factory/Durametric - an engine that doesn't respond to throttle pedal inputs as expected is about the only symptom as far as I am aware and that symptom can also be indicative of other unrelated problems.

If the eTB check I suggested above shows it working then it might be worth trying this:

What happens if you start the car?  Doe sit idle evenly?  If so leave the handbrake on, put it in 1st then gently release the clutch - like a hill start.  

Does it just stall?  Or can you feel/hear the engine trying to maintain engine speed against the drag of the clutch?  

To be clear this is about seeing how the engine reacts - it is not about moving the car or trying to actually stall it.  And it certainly shouldn't result in clutch damage.

Throttle body butterfly moves when connected and audible from the car with engine bay exposed.

Carried out the reset procedure and with the accelerator pedal fully depressed rpm now close to 2000.

With handbrake engaged and car in gear engine tries to move car but eventually stalls, though I don’t rule out operator misfunction .

Accelerator pedal sensor arrived this AM but very little info online on how to swap/fit this component.

Any tips gratefully accepted.

I'm having a similar issue with mine.  

I have a very old Durametric which doesn't have all the latest functions, but when plugged in , it shows that the TPS at the pedal is working, but not registering any change at the throttle body.  It shows fault code P1502.  Google it, very common fault, which quite often isn't the TB itself. 

Now here's the thing you need to try.  Borrow your friends reader again, and with the engine running, read codes (will still not show any) but still go ahead and clear the codes.  If it's like mine, it will run perfectly.  This works for me using the durametric, and an off the shelf Autotel reader (which doesn't find any codes).  I'm taking the throttle body off to test at the weekend with a multimeter.  Look for videos on YouTube for this.  If all checks out, the fault lies somewhere else, but at least you haven't paid out for a replacement you didn't need.

An update on my TB issues...

·         On start up, will not rev past 2,000 rpm (and rough idle when warm) 

·         Durametirc Code Reader shows P1502 Throttle Jacking Unit, Spring Test – Above Limit. 

·         With engine running, clear codes and it ran perfectly, but returns every time it was started. 

·         With air box pipe off, when ignition turned on you could see the butterfly move slightly.  Turn engine on, and runs rough.  When the code is cleared, you can see the butterfly close slightly and engine ran smoothly. 

·         Removed throttle body to inspect – slight play in the butterfly.  Tested resistance for TPS1 and 2, both appeared to be ok.  Motor readings seemed sporadic.  Would change from being ok, to too low if motor turned and then read again. (I’m no expert in this field!  Mechanically good, but not electronics!) 

·         Removed black cover on TB and all gear teeth appear to be in tact, but some play on gear shaft. 

·         When fitted back to the vehicle to test, Code P1502 still present, but now,  clearing the code doesn’t fix it.   When holding accelerator down revs would jump up and down between 1,000 rpm and 2,000 rpm.  Would not rev past 2,000 rpm. 

·         No obvious issues with wiring or plug going to TB

The fact that it's got worse since I've been tinkering suggest my issue does lie with the TB.  It's been sent off to AC Tronics for them to refurb hopefully.  

Will update...

On 10/18/2021 at 4:59 PM, Boxstclever said:

Any news Rjg?

Afraid not Boxst , I’m out of action atm due to my Border Collie thinking it would be amusing to crash into the back of my legs causing me to fall into a drainage ditch , resulting in a sprained knee and badly bruised ribs. Ha bloody ha..

1 hour ago, Rjg said:

Afraid not Boxst , I’m out of action atm due to my Border Collie thinking it would be amusing to crash into the back of my legs causing me to fall into a drainage ditch , resulting in a sprained knee and badly bruised ribs. Ha bloody ha..

Better result than a friend of my wife's. dog jerked at the lead when walking by the canal, she fell in and ended up with an external fracture of the tib and fib of her left leg.  Metal cage and all required!

All the best for a speedy recovery (you and the car!)

4 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Better result than a friend of my wife's. dog jerked at the lead when walking by the canal, she fell in and ended up with an external fracture of the tib and fib of her left leg.  Metal cage and all required!

All the best for a speedy recovery (you and the car!)

Thanks 1/2 cwt, I appreciate that. 👌. Rob.

Sorry to hear that Rjg, hope all mends soon.

For your info, mine issue is now sorted, and the fault was with the throttle body.  I removed it and sent it to a company called AC Tronics.  Had to send in via a garage as they don't deal with the public, but it was refurbed and back with me within a week (pretty good considering they send to their head office in Holland).  £315 lighter, but all working well.  They test it and let you know if it's faulty or not before proceeding.  

Glad you are sorted and it was a simple fix. A shame though that you had to pay that much! There must be a throttle body test on a durametric or piwis type tool.