981S->981 GTS

Withy

5 hours ago, Graham BGTS said:

Any chance of the running report Withy? Be interested to hear how you’re getting in with the BGTS! 

Well, with working at home all the time and Scottish weather I can't say I've done many miles.  However I would say this:

After it went to the Indy to sort out the rattly rear suspension arm, the car is actually awesome to drive.  The whole GTS thing is a real joy to behold.  We've all seen the videos that "GTS trim is more than the sum of its parts" which sounds like utter bullsh1t , but after a few months of ownership I honestly couldn't agree more.  I absolutely loved my 987.1 S, loved my 981 S significantly more, and this BGTS is simply all the car I'll ever want.

I had a good short spirited drive with @Andrew bell in his lovely 991.1S Cab recently and the noise of the PSE with the additional GTS'ness was apparently pretty cool from the outside too.  All of us know that we get that whole juvenile smile when driving and "if you don't look back after you parked it, you bought the wrong car" thing, and my new toy is just all of that and more.

What I've done:

- Changed the Pirelli PZero's to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's - and this is great - new rubber is confidence inspiring and lack of Ackermans effect reduces the annoyance of that judder/noise when parking etc

- Added (then removed due to a fault) Isudar CarPlay add on.  Expect the replacement back soon to resurrect this add-on which is essential to modernise the setup in my opinion

- Worked out the whole PCM Jukebox thing while CarPlay is out - pretty good for old tech (SSD going in when the Isudar  board comes back)

- Zunsport grilles added.  Really don't understand why Porsche don't make this std - a necessary thing I'd say

- MOT/Oil Service and check in with Indy.  Supplying Garage QCC were very good and paid a good portion of what was issues were found (including the rattly suspension, exhaust flanges and a couple of other thing), so I have zero complaints on that front - really excellent agreement for being 600 odd miles away from where I bought it

- Added a red centre stripe on the Sport Design Steering Wheel, simply add on of tape, but looks nice, and for the moment it's staying there as I like the look so far

- If the weather holds up this weekend, it's getting a proper clean.  GT Silver appears a bit dull in pictures, but in the flesh/metal it's proper cool.  Alcantara is my fav thing now, after it's spruced up and feels like new it's really great to lift the interior.  The diffuser/lights at the back and the front bumper slight differences all just add to that :) :) 

I've still not used launch control! - do folks with Sport Chrono just do that once and then never bother again? (@Davidbf1.com I know that your first was with Al @ tpntv. ...)

I've been occasionally tracking the cost of GTS's vs S's and often think "was it really worth the changeover price" and when that though happens it takes about 7 seconds for a hearty "YES" to be the mental reply.  I think if I'd had a very highly spec'd S then the answer might be different, but for the moment this is the best car I've owned by a country mile.

I'd like to have some magic fix to the creases in the roof where is folds, but looks like that is pretty awkward to do.. When you look at a new 718 / 992 Cab the roof is always so smooth and perfect when up, that it makes older cars seem a bit tired - but I guess it just shows that it's been used as designed.

Bottom line - It's utterly awesome!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, daz05 said:

@Withywhat happened to the Isudar board? 

Was doing a firmware upgrade via USB to sort out the volume sync thing and it went pop.  No display on PCM, and generally total failure.  Thankfully PCM is fine, I removed the board and sent off back to China for repair.   PCM is back in and working with no problems (minus CarPlay-ness).  Seems the supplier can't fix It so they are replacing (with the newer version!).  Chinese New Year stalled the shipping, but I should get it next week. Whether or not it was the upgrade or just some power related coincidnece I'll never know, but not a great story for the robustness of the Isudar board.  

I'm taking the opportunity when I replace the board to also do an SSD upgrade on the old HDD based jukebox, so will post my findings when I do it

23 hours ago, Withy said:

Was doing a firmware upgrade via USB to sort out the volume sync thing and it went pop.  No display on PCM, and generally total failure.  Thankfully PCM is fine, I removed the board and sent off back to China for repair.   PCM is back in and working with no problems (minus CarPlay-ness).  Seems the supplier can't fix It so they are replacing (with the newer version!).  Chinese New Year stalled the shipping, but I should get it next week. Whether or not it was the upgrade or just some power related coincidnece I'll never know, but not a great story for the robustness of the Isudar board.  

I'm taking the opportunity when I replace the board to also do an SSD upgrade on the old HDD based jukebox, so will post my findings when I do it

Ah that's bad news and very poor customer service, they should have sent a replacement considering what is required as part of the install. Heard Patt had issues too, such a shame because it's definitely ahead in terms of the design.

I had an issue with the joyeauto, it turned out to be ok I was able to tighten the ribbon housing and fixed the connection but it didn't stop them FedEx'ing another part out to me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Patt said:

I still can't get the upload to work on mine.  And they seem uninterested and yet claim PCB is ok.  The fact they ship it with software loaded that wont work is appalling. 

This is not ok. It just won't take the update?