981 PCM 3.1 Nav and Phone not available

Tony Daniel

Do all 981 PCM 3.1 come with Nav or was it an option? I have just bought one and pressing either Nav or phone button I get a message that they are 'not available'.

So I have looked at a few options to add carplay but none seem 100 percent. Then I contacted a PCM repair company to see if you can add the Nav module and was told all PCM's come with Nav.

Confused...was Nav an option or is it built in and I have a faulty PCM which I can get repaired under the warranty.

@Richard Hamiltoncan you shed any light on this?

Mine is the same, the buttons are there but no Nav or Phone modules are installed.  I like to call my car "Driver Focussed" which sounds better than "Poverty Spec" :lol:

I'm not convinced it's worth adding either of those options retrospectively to be honest.  I use a simple Motorola Bluetooth hands-free gadget clipped onto the sun visor for the rare occasions I need to take a phone call on the move, and although I've got a Garmin sat nav I prefer to use Waze on my phone for navigation.  I rarely even have the radio switched on, I'd rather listen to the glorious engine sound instead.

6 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

Ok so mine might not be faulty. But I still wonder is the Nav just not enabled or is it a separate item? 

My guess is that there is no module fitted, but I think there is a way of finding out on here what spec your car had when it was new.  I can't remember how it's done, but no doubt someone will be along soon to let you know.  From what I have read on t'internet, the factory fitted navigation system is nowt special on these cars anyway, so I really wouldn't worry about not having it.

That's the trouble with buying from BoXanetters.  Can't trust any of 'em I tell ya....

Knowing Porsche, they were separate modules and the original buyer didn't spec them. No idea about retrofit ability/cost.  But even though it's a lot newer, I'd agree with Davey that if you (sold it to recoup some money and) fitted with an aftermarket, you'd get much better functionality.  It's irritating to lose the nice third binnacle though.

30 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

That's the trouble with buying from BoXanetters.  Can't trust any of 'em I tell ya....

The cars fine, I'd buy it again tomorrow... just the usual cr*p Porsche head unit. I think I've replaced them in every Porsche I've had.

PCM module with Sat Nav was an option even on the 981 GTS as was telephone prep.

Edited by Ringer250

Sorry I'm late to the party Tony.  You can't retrofit the navigation module like you could with PCM2.1.  They are different head units for nav and non-nav systems, so to retrofit nav you have to replace the whole head unit and fit the associated gubbins.  I assume that the Carplay adapters wouldn't work either, as I suspect they rely on the PCM's GPS antenna, etc.  You are probably best replacing the whole thing with a Carplay system.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, daz05 said:

You could always just add one of the carplay options to your existing pcm.  

Which one though, I get mixed reports on all of them. I need one that works without steering wheel controls and wireless Android not iphone.

Also need to check on warranty implications, I'm Ok about no warranty on the headunit afterwards but does it void it for the whole car?

On 11/19/2021 at 6:34 AM, Tony Daniel said:

Which one though, I get mixed reports on all of them. I need one that works without steering wheel controls and wireless Android not iphone.

Also need to check on warranty implications, I'm Ok about no warranty on the headunit afterwards but does it void it for the whole car?

I have Joyeauto and it's very good, if I was buying again I would go for Isudar since it's a simpler install. 

You would be brave to try for a warranty replacement on a pcm with it fitted but for anything else that isn't directly linked ask yourself why a busy OPC would care or decide to check what's inside your pcm for any other fault. You can pull the fuse to be safe so carplay/AA is disabled.

Steering wheel controls, fitted or not is largely irrelevant. Here's my video on the Joyeauto.

• Like 1

I'm Ok about no warranty on the headunit afterwards but does it void it for the whole car?

It's usually void for warranty claims due to / related to the non-warranty work. Otherwise it's effectively a restrictive practice.

I've just installed the Isudar one, no external interface box, and no additional power supply required so a simpler installation, it can also use the integrated mic and possibly the USB (got to check this one though). I've got sport design steering wheel so no steering wheel controls and all working fine so far.

Wireless Android auto works on my Samsung S20FE 👍🏻

• Like 1

Thanks to the post by@Withyand @JustchrisI have now ordered the Isudar unit. £222.35 with the discount code isudar8888

Install might have to wait as the fan in my car keeps sticking and is going back to Porsche for warranty work next month.

Justchris does your phone automatically connect to the bluetooth of the Isudar unit? Mine doesn't connect to the PCM unit unless I manually tell it too and am hoping the Isudar unit cures this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

Thanks to the post by@Withyand @JustchrisI have now ordered the Isudar unit. £222.35 with the discount code isudar8888

Install might have to wait as the fan in my car keeps sticking and is going back to Porsche for warranty work next month.

Justchris does your phone automatically connect to the bluetooth of the Isudar unit? Mine doesn't connect to the PCM unit unless I manually tell it too and am hoping the Isudar unit cures this.

Don't mention it Tony 😂😂😂

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, toby_b said:

I just picked up my first Cayman and fell into the same issue. I have the button for a phone but it does nothing!

Did the Isudar add Bluetooth functionality? I have Nav but no phone.

You need to alter 'My Ride' to the Cayman😃.

The Isudar board gives you CarPlay & Android Auto. So you get certain Apps like Waze from your phone to the PCM. Google assistant works handsfree. I can now make calls and send/read texts handsfree as well.

The new V2 Isudar board seems to be having a lot of issues at the moment and support has been poor. You have 15 days to send it back for any chance of refund, so if you buy one get it in and tested as soon as possible.

Pulling apart a PCM unit is a bit daunting for some people, and you really need to make sure every connection is correct.

1 hour ago, toby_b said:

I just picked up my first Cayman and fell into the same issue. I have the button for a phone but it does nothing!

Did the Isudar add Bluetooth functionality? I have Nav but no phone.

I have the button, and prior to installing the Isudar board i had a fully working bluetooth connection to my PCM for phone and Aux Bluetooth, however now whenever I select Phone it tells me bluetooth is off, I select switch bluetooth on, and get a message saying switching on, but it never does!

Kimi from Isudar replied saying it could possibly be fixed by an update and me asking for a photo of my version number which i sent over a week ago, and i've had no reply since.

I've asked on this forum and elsewhere but most people seem to prefer using the Android / Apple phone functionality, however saying hey google only works some of the time, and  I'm still having volume issues with the phone, the setting in Isudar settings is at 40 for in-call volume, all others are at 36 so in theory the phone should be louder than anything else, but as soon as a call connects i have to turn up the volume to be able to here anything, and then it's deafening when it returns to the music!

Seriously considering removing the board to see if my bluetooth comes back!

• 2 years later...

I just discovered this old thread - which I missed at the time - when I was thinking about the issue you raised on the other more recent PCM/HDD thread (https://www.BoXa.net/topic/91463-2013-981-pcm31-hard-drive-failure/?do=findComment&comment=1408242). I know I'm a bit late for the original query above, but as you're obviously still interested in this issue, and it intrigued me as well, I've done a bit of digging. For what it's worth, and in case it's of any use to anyone looking into this same issue in future, I've set out my thoughts below (rather than on the other thread, though I'll link to this post there as well).

Although I mentioned on that other thread that the phone connection was always an option, even on PCM systems, I had thought that PCM always included the Navigation, so I was surprised to read in the above comments that several other forum members said they also had the PCM without Navigation combination. And yet I've looked in the 11/2011, 03/2014 and 03/2015 UK-spec 981 brochures (and the separate 03/2014 worldwide brochure specifically for the GTS), and they all talk only about 'PCM with Navigation Module'. So there seems to also have been an option of 'PCM without Navigation Module', even though it's not mentioned in the brochures anywhere. I don't believe Porsche ever did printed UK consumer price lists, where this option would presumably have appeared, but I am 100% positive (because I spent a fair bit of time on there) that as of 2015 the Porsche 981 configurator did not allow you to specify PCM without Navi.

I have however discovered that in the 981 option codes listed on Stuttcars (https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-boxster-2016-options-codes/) there are separate option codes for:
- "PCM 3 Porsche Communication Management touchscreen incl. radio, CD" (665), and
- "Navigation module for PCM" (672)
This would be consistent with the two different versions being available - with and without Navi, though the sales brochure and configurator used the option code of P23 for the 'PCM with Navi' (and P25 for CDR Plus).

But I'm struggling to understand what - other than the USB input - a PCM without the Navigation module would have given you over the base system - the CDR already has the Aux input, the CDR+ even has the USB input as well (and also the Digital radio that isn't even standard on the PCM!). So it's not clear to me why a buyer would have opted for a non-Navi PCM at all?

Speculating further, I've now noticed that what you have in your car (Aux & USB in glovebox, plus DAB, but no Nav or Jukebox) in fact sounds just like the brochure description of "CDR Plus audio system" - see for example page 94 (appears as p48/69 in the PDF) of the sales brochure here: https://www.stuttcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Porsche_int-Boxster_2015.pdf . The 'CDR Plus' option wasn't available in the early 2012 cars, but became available in MY2013, I think at the same time the Version 4 hardware of PCM came out. And the CDR Plus system has the CD/DVD drive also used in the PCM, rather than the CD-only unit in the CDR31. So I'm wondering if what they describe in the sales literature as 'CDR Plus' they actually implement by installing a PCM unit with the normal PCM front panel (rather than a CDR31), but without the Navi and HDD modules - and if that is what you have in your car. Does that make sense? The only thing I can see that doesn't fit is that you said in the other thread that you didn't think your unit even had a connector for a HDD module - but perhaps they just don't put the connector/lead on the PCM 665 unit unless they know there's also going to be a 672 Navi module as well.

The same Stuttcars option list mentioned above has a code for CDR31 (696 - the same code appeared on the configurator), but I can't find a code in the Stuttcars list for 'CDR Plus' - which fits my theory; it's not a separate option at all, but simply the same as 665. So I'm inclined to think that:
- 696 is the 'sales' code for the base CDR system, and also the code the factory uses to fit a CDR31 unit;
- P25 is the 'sales' code for the CDR Plus system - which the factory would interpret as 665 (PCM without Navi) only*
- P23 is the 'sales' code for the PCM incl Navi - which the factory would interpret as requiring 665 AND 672

* Note: The CDR Plus option (P25) was always described in the brochure and configurator as including the Sound Package Plus (seven speakers/185W) system which was an optional extra if you had the base CDR31, and also included the digital radio tuner. The SPP had its own option code of 490, and Digital Radio was 691. So in fact, P25 CDR Plus would = 665+490+691, whereas P23 would = 665+672 but not 490 or 691 (unless they were specified separately).

If ever you get hold of a build sheet/spec list of option codes for your car, it would be interesting to know if they tie up with my thoughts above.

• Like 2

On the original 'My Porsche' App I had the build list of my car but it was updated and now tells you nothing. But I think you are right then I have a CDR+ system in my car. 

It is basically the same as a PCM 3.1 but lacks the hard drive. The front panel and rear connections are exactly the same as a PCM 3.1 and it has a higher output then the CDR.

Well researched @Jon61👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1