What's the logic

Ninesomething

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Isn’t the sidewall lower? Thus increasing pressure gives a bit more protection over bumps?

A little bit of that and keeping a wider contact patch even across the tyre.

The two options at the front of mine are 235/40/18 on an 8J wheel, or 235/35/19 on an 8.5J wheel. You can see from those figures that the overall tyre width is constant, but the 19s have a lower profile and sit on a slightly wider wheel. I presume that the higher pressure is needed to give extra support to the shorter side wall and the slightly wider section that sits on the wheel itself.

It does seem bizzare as a higher pressure gives a reduced contact patch.  Smaller sidewall should be stiffer, extra pressure should not be needed.  The advantage of wider tyres generally is it allows you to run lower pressures and increase the contact patch.

45 minutes ago, Greenman said:

It does seem bizzare as a higher pressure gives a reduced contact patch.  Smaller sidewall should be stiffer, extra pressure should not be needed.  The advantage of wider tyres generally is it allows you to run lower pressures and increase the contact patch.

This is exactly what I thought. I suppose Porsche know what they're doing.