Early Boxsters one of eight best sub £10K investment cars for 2022

Boxob

According to Goodwood Road and Racing:

Porsche Boxster (986)

Porsche’s turn of the millennium styling language fell out of favour for a while but, 25 years on, an early 986 Boxster with the orange indicators and the ‘fried egg’ headlights looks ever more appealing, and there are plenty around at temptingly low prices. True, those early 2.5s had a modest 204PS (150kW) and if you want meaningful performance you’re better off holding out for the later 260PS (191kW) 3.2-litre S. But with opportunities to go quickly increasingly limited there’s growing appreciation that performance should be measured in quality as much as quantity. While they can be cheap to buy upkeep can prove costly so history is everything on a used Porsche. But if there’s one thing we’ve learned it’s that the early, purest examples of any particular model often end up being among the most sought after.

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/road/news/2021/11/the-eight-best-sub10k-investment-cars-to-buy-in-2022/

• Like 1

Above is one of the reasons I bought my 99 986 in launch colours. To me it still looks fresh despite it being 22 years old. The body stying is IMO sublime. As usual with most classic cars the unmolested versions which are well looked after tend to retain their money and are the ones which are usually sought after. 

It's an interesting thought. Do you see any signs of prices rising at the moment or is the market still a bit stationary?

I paid £4k for mine four years ago have no idea what it's worth today with 109k miles and  decent condition (but not showroom.)

In general, newer second hand cars do seem to be markedly up at the moment, and £4k would only just about buy a 10 year old Jazz at the moment ( there I go again :))

I have two of eight. Both keepers. 

I thought the Z3 would be there, not the Z4. I think they got that wrong, the Z3s looks were a miss in the 90s, but now they look great. They must motor on with that 3.0.

Edited by Daboy3000

But my point is GT cars aside they are the recent cars that are commanding strong money and nobody really cares about launch colours. Marmite colours will always be off putting but while I think it's nice to buy one in launch colours I don't think it commands much extra in terms of price. Not enough to seek one out as an investment anyway. 

19 minutes ago, edc said:

But my point is GT cars aside they are the recent cars that are commanding strong money and nobody really cares about launch colours. Marmite colours will always be off putting but while I think it's nice to buy one in launch colours I don't think it commands much extra in terms of price. Not enough to seek one out as an investment anyway. 

I don’t disagree, and as you say it’s nice to have and if we feel like that now, it could command a premium later on, certainly makes them saleable… maybe.

Who knows, most Porsches seem to be on the up is all I know.

11 hours ago, the baron said:

I’ve always thought the 2.5 in launch colours is the one to have but I might be a little bias 🤔

Ditto The Baron. I didn’t buy mine because it might one day be an investment, I bought it because I liked the colour combination of Arctic Silver and Red which just happened to be the launch colours. I have always liked classic (and modern) cars with red interiors.

• Like 1

I’ve always thought there are too many boxsters produced to ever really become an “investment”

996’s seem to be going upwards thou, anyone know the production sales figures on them in comparison to a 986? If they are similar there maybe a glimmer of hope 🤞

3 minutes ago, BBB said:

Tired from work and totally read that as 175,262,996 cars. I was wondering where all the millions of boxsters went as I hardly ever see any.

Puts the kybosh on the Beetle being the largest production volume car!!! 

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

175,262 996 derivatives vs 164,874 986 derivatives.

Figures from Porsche.

Considerably fewer 986 2.5 Boxsters still on the road. Only 28 1996 models, 865 1997 models and 2237 1998 models. Even fewer in launch colours. 

53 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Considerably fewer 986 2.5 Boxsters still on the road. Only 28 1996 models, 865 1997 models and 2237 1998 models. Even fewer in launch colours. 

Was just going to quote those numbers , interesting stats from “how many left” website

20 hours ago, the baron said:

I’ve always thought the 2.5 in launch colours is the one to have but I might be a little bias 🤔

I'm sure you're right, it's the pure form which seems to be desirable. From what I'm seeing the earliest 986s seem to be holding value better than the later ones. At the very least, they don't appear to be cheaper than the younger ones. It used to be said that the 'S' would hold value better, but I'm not seeing that either. The early base model seems to be having a popularity surge. 

I've only seen a couple of them in the last few months in the UK. There are some cheap pickings out there, but the ones I've seen when looking for a friend have been shabby (by my standards) and would take either a good deal of expense or a lot of enthusiast expertise to sort out, in running and performance terms rather than tackling the cosmetics. 

I'm so glad I kept mine, it gets more attention these days which is interesting. I went to a big Porsche club gathering at Goodwood a few weeks ago and mine was one of only two 986s there. 

7 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

I went to a big Porsche club gathering at Goodwood a few weeks ago and mine was one of only two 986s there. 

I went to a 1990s car Sunday breakfast club earlier this month. Not one Boxster on display. There were a couple in the carpark including mine.

1 hour ago, Boxob said:

Assuming that means a 1996 registration date as there is no such thing as a 1996  model year 986.

Sorry, site pedant...

Edited by ½cwt

I also went to a Porsche meet at the weekend and hid in the car park. On walking around and talking to the car owners I still feel there is some Porsche snobbery in regards to the 986, I’ve only ever been to 3 events and found this at them all, so this could be why. I would love to go to a 986 only event thou.