Early Boxsters one of eight best sub £10K investment cars for 2022

Boxob

2 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

I currently have a couple 2.5's and they are fabulous; my favourite.

I sold a P plate Red one on Sunday and today have been working on a P plate in Arctic with Red leather that will soon be up for sale.

Let me go and check the log book.

All 3 are 1997 cars

7 minutes ago, Boxsum said:

I also went to a Porsche meet at the weekend and hid in the car park. On walking around and talking to the car owners I still feel there is some Porsche snobbery in regards to the 986, I’ve only ever been to 3 events and found this at them all, so this could be why. I would love to go to a 986 only event thou.

I saw quite a lot of snobbery towards the 986 a few years ago - all that silly 'hairdresser car' and 'not a proper Porsche' nonsense. But in recent years I haven't encountered it, at least not visibly. My 986 gets more attention than the 987.2 (Cayman) I also drive. I've had people say they prefer my 986 because it has sleeker lines and a more classic purist look. 

You get snobbery everywhere, mostly from the people who have new very expensive Porsches or other marques - they will look down on anything more than two years old. I wouldn't worry about it. I would guess you're most likely to encounter that mindset at PCGB events.

If I wanted to I could sell Bambi and put it towards a 981, but I honestly don't want to sell her - it's not the time to part with something which might become sought after (I appreciate that remains to be seen). 

I suspect a 986 only event would be fairly unlikely, at least in the UK (plenty of them still in the US where their value seems to be increasing faster than over here).

I love the Boxster launch colours of Artic Silver and terracotta red leather interior. 

I'm not surprised they are going up in value.

I bought mine specifically as I'd previously had a RS60 replica that was in the same l20200811_181209.jpg.e8ccf1c28f80e00fbce35c4663403628.jpg colours 

20200614_124709.jpg

Edited by stevemag

4 hours ago, stevemag said:

I love the Boxster launch colours of Artic Silver and terracotta red leather interior. 

I bought mine specifically as I'd previously had a RS60 replica that was in the same l20200811_181209.jpg.e8ccf1c28f80e00fbce35c4663403628.jpg colours 

20200614_124709.jpg

Both stunning. 👍

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 5:01 PM, ½cwt said:

175,262 996 derivatives vs 164,874 986 derivatives.

Figures from Porsche.

On 11/29/2021 at 6:29 PM, Boxob said:

Considerably fewer 986 2.5 Boxsters still on the road. Only 28 1996 models, 865 1997 models and 2237 1998 models. Even fewer in launch colours. 

Are these numbers comparable? I assume the former is worldwide and the latter is UK registrations. 

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Are these numbers comparable? I assume the former is worldwide and the latter is UK registrations. 

The figures I quoted are total production.

40 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Thought so - and I believe howmanyleft is UK registrations.

Are you able to see UK registrations from your source?

I'll see what I can find.

On 11/30/2021 at 12:57 PM, stevemag said:

20200614_124709.jpg

@stevemag there was a replicas thread elsewhere.  What engine was in this one?  VW aircooled?

15 minutes ago, stevemag said:

VW air-cooled 1776çc converted to 1998cc(by next owner !). 120bhp tuned.written off by the next Owner!

I would so not want to be in a serious shunt in that car. Not a diss and not because of Jimmy Dean - same with any car with 50's early 60's safety features.

Also I've never driven one but I suspect that a 2.5 on skinny tyres would be great fun to drive.

Edited by JonSta

56 minutes ago, JonSta said:

I would so not want to be in a serious shunt in that car. Not a diss and not because of Jimmy Dean - same with any car with 50's early 60's safety features.

Also I've never driven one but I suspect that a 2.5 on skinny tyres would be great fun to drive.

Agreed, basically no safety features 

Petrol tank over your feet ready to explode in a crash. Which is what it apparently did in the track incident.

I'm an experienced driver, 1776cc tuned engine was enough for the brakes.  The next owner went to 2ltr. Way to powerful for its 750kg weight and drum brakes. 

The resultant crash was easy to predict 

2 hours ago, JonSta said:

Jimmy died in a 550 Spyder but yes totally agree with what you are saying, I’ve owned a genuine speedster and several 356’s, same issues, petrol tank over legs and straight spear aimed at your chest AKA the steering column which is not collapsible, death traps but great fun in a simpler world.

4 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I'll see what I can find.

The data seems to be pretty messy on new registrations but I have approached a Porsche contact to request some info.

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2021 at 5:10 PM, ½cwt said:

The data seems to be pretty messy on new registrations but I have approached a Porsche contact to request some info.

OK, so according to Porsche GB they do not have this data (I doubt that...) and apparently even if they did they would not release it.  I need a pencil and paper and a good few minutes on howmanyleft.co.uk to work out some figures.

I've been hankering for a nice 986 for years and years. I got tempted by one for sale in the classifieds here but missed it. Does anyone remember it, face-lift Lapis with Savannah?

I finally bought a pre face-lift 3.2 S because I think the earlier simpler bumpers are best. I already had a silver 996 with red trim so I didn't want a silver 986 but I agree they look good. Has anyone seen a silver 986 with a red roof? 

My 986 is guards red with Ambers. It would probably look better with clears but not sure I can be bothered changing them. Also I have the plastic window but again not sure I wanna change to glass as its a different shape roof line and looks less original. 

That's the tricky thing with these old cars now. I'm not sure if original wins or we should make them our own.

16 minutes ago, ATM said:

My 986 is guards red with Ambers. It would probably look better with clears but not sure I can be bothered changing them. Also I have the plastic window but again not sure I wanna change to glass as its a different shape roof line and looks less original. 

That's the tricky thing with these old cars now. I'm not sure if original wins or we should make them our own.

Nobody in their right mind is going to look at a 986 and go 'what an idiot - fancy swapping out those amber bits for clear ones'  or 'who would fit a glass rear window'.

Those are not mods in the sense that they would sully the original. On the other hand if you create something that makes you look like a 1980s Italian boy racer then you have arguably 'made it your own'. 

Personally, I bought a brand new set of original Porsche lights with all clear parts - my set of lights with amber parts is safely boxed and stowed in the garage. They can be swapped over in a couple of minutes if I feel like it. As for the rear screen - I prefer the plastic version as it's a little bigger on visibility. 

What I'm also seeing is the original base model fetching the same money as later 986s, so it seems the purer simpler version is desirable. 

13 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

Nobody in their right mind is going to look at a 986 and go 'what an idiot - fancy swapping out those amber bits for clear ones'  or 'who would fit a glass rear window'.

Those are not mods in the sense that they would sully the original. On the other hand if you create something that makes you look like a 1980s Italian boy racer then you have arguably 'made it your own'. 

Personally, I bought a brand new set of original Porsche lights with all clear parts - my set of lights with amber parts is safely boxed and stowed in the garage. They can be swapped over in a couple of minutes if I feel like it. As for the rear screen - I prefer the plastic version as it's a little bigger on visibility. 

What I'm also seeing is the original base model fetching the same money as later 986s, so it seems the purer simpler version is desirable. 

Careful, I might be Italian. 

13 minutes ago, ATM said:

Careful, I might be Italian. 

😄 Then go for it!

Nothing wrong with making your car unique, even if you go full-on nuclear tacky (I think Porsches lend themselves to a bit of tackiness). Seriously - it's yours so do what makes you happiest. Not everybody has potential resale in mind. I recently opened a thread on this very subject, after somebody (elsewhere) questioned my plans to colour my brake calipers. I think my overall view is that mods are good fun but I'd tend to focus on the ones which are either subtle or easy to reverse if you grow tired of them and want to revert to original.

Edited by Photogirl