Transmission Mounts

deanmr2

Hi Guys, I am planning on changing the transmission mounts on my 986S I have bought the 2 hydraulic mounts without the brackets, that attach the mounts to the sub frame and gearbox. I have the Bentley manual for the Boxster and it says that it is just a matter of removing 2 bolts/nuts then another 2 bolts to remove the bracket and mount from the car but it says not to remove the torx nut that holds the hydraulic mount to the bracket as it will destroy the mount. This is not a problem with removing the old mounts but will it also destroy the new mounts when fixing them to the brackets ? I really don’t understand how removing the torx nuts will destroy the hydraulic mount can anyone explain this and how will I avoid damaging the new mounts ?

Check Pelican's view on this:

Porsche Boxster Transmission Mount Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

Remove the bracket and mount from the chassis/transmission, swap the hydraulic mount on the bracket and put it back.  I don't see a Torx nut anywhere.

Edited by ½cwt

19 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Check Pelican's view on this:

Porsche Boxster Transmission Mount Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

Remove the bracket and mount from the chassis/transmission, swap the hydraulic mount on the bracket and put it back.  I don't see a Torx nut anywhere.

Thanks 1/2cwt it is the nut that holds the hydraulic mount on to the bracket that the Bentley manual is calling a torx nut. Reading through the Pelican Parts script it seems that you should take the mount and bracket assembly off the car before removing the torx nut to prevent damage to the hydraulic mount so I will try this tomorrow 

6 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

Thanks 1/2cwt it is the nut that holds the hydraulic mount on to the bracket that the Bentley manual is calling a torx nut. Reading through the Pelican Parts script it seems that you should take the mount and bracket assembly off the car before removing the torx nut to prevent damage to the hydraulic mount so I will try this tomorrow 

That would make sense if Bentley's advice is against trying to remove the mount with the bracket still fixed in place.  Taking a closer look at teh picture on teh D911 website it does look as though this nut is a female Torx, E12 or E14 by the look of it if you zoom in on it:

Porsche Boxster Gearbox Mount 98637509404 98637509302 - 98637509 | Design 911.

10 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

Hi Guys, I am planning on changing the transmission mounts on my 986S I have bought the 2 hydraulic mounts without the brackets, that attach the mounts to the sub frame and gearbox. I have the Bentley manual for the Boxster and it says that it is just a matter of removing 2 bolts/nuts then another 2 bolts to remove the bracket and mount from the car but it says not to remove the torx nut that holds the hydraulic mount to the bracket as it will destroy the mount. This is not a problem with removing the old mounts but will it also destroy the new mounts when fixing them to the brackets ? I really don’t understand how removing the torx nuts will destroy the hydraulic mount can anyone explain this and how will I avoid damaging the new mounts ?

I think it means that if you try and remove the torx nut while on the car it will potentially twist the bracket and the internal rubber parts of the mount. Once off the car no such problems, as the bracket can be held securely in a vice for removal. 

7 hours ago, edc said:

I don't know the answer to your question but did you not consider a mild upgrade? 

I read that if you fit stiffer engine or transmission mounts you can get more vibration through the car and that they are really best used if you track your car so as mine is a road car only I have stuck to standard parts 

50 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

I think it means that if you try and remove the torx nut while on the car it will potentially twist the bracket and the internal rubber parts of the mount. Once off the car no such problems, as the bracket can be held securely in a vice for removal. 

Yes I think that could be the answer so will use my vice to remove the torx nut

11 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

I you take a look at my PADM thread for the 981 I believe the mounting system in the same, just minus the electronics and expensive mount. Remove bracket and mount together, the mount has a square section that sits in the bracket so tightening it up should cause no issues, loosening it might if the square is not kept seated in the bracket. Easy to do with the bracket in a vice, impossible to do on the car (well the 981 anyway) The torx nut you mention will take some effort to undo also.

Edited by CMA

22 minutes ago, CMA said:

I you take a look at my PADM thread for the 981 I believe the mounting system in the same, just minus the electronics and expensive mount. Remove bracket and mount together, the mount has a square section that sits in the bracket so tightening it up should cause no issues, loosening it might if the square is not kept seated in the bracket. Easy to do with the bracket in a vice, impossible to do on the car (well the 981 anyway) The torx nut you mention will take some effort to undo also.

Thanks for your reply and for your nice write up, looking at my new mounts I see the square you are talking about and can see how it could come unseated if you were to loosen the torx nut in situ so I will remove bracket and mount together and separate them in the vice 

6 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

I read that if you fit stiffer engine or transmission mounts you can get more vibration through the car and that they are really best used if you track your car so as mine is a road car only I have stuck to standard parts 

For some reason i thought you were on an upgrade/uprate path to make a more focussed road car. I have some poly mounts and my car is a road car but not a daily. It tightens things up nicely and I don't find them intrusive at all. 

1 hour ago, JonSta said:

Which ones do you have? Did you do the front one too?

Mine were made as part of the initial run/experiment by @jimk04 You will see the same thing now by Function First but Jim was doing them first. More details in my 550 running report. I had a new standard 987 engine mount at the same time

https://www.BoXa.net/topic/59044-edcs-550-anniversary/page/19/

3 hours ago, edc said:

For some reason i thought you were on an upgrade/uprate path to make a more focussed road car. I have some poly mounts and my car is a road car but not a daily. It tightens things up nicely and I don't find them intrusive at all. 

I bought the engine and transmission mounts from my local OPC so hopefully they are good quality and I shouldn’t have have been worry about them again 

I forgot to say that my car has a tiptronic gearbox and that makes it a bit more awkward to replace the mounts. I had to remove the exhaust cat pipe to get the brackets and mounts out of the car, the tip brackets are a bit beafier to take the extra weight of the auto box and are fixed to the transmission by 3 bolts instead of the 2 bolts on manual cars with the extra bolt being higher up and a pig to get out. The joys of DIY’ing 😂😂

4 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

I forgot to say that my car has a tiptronic gearbox and that makes it a bit more awkward to replace the mounts. I had to remove the exhaust cat pipe to get the brackets and mounts out of the car, the tip brackets are a bit beafier to take the extra weight of the auto box and are fixed to the transmission by 3 bolts instead of the 2 bolts on manual cars with the extra bolt being higher up and a pig to get out. The joys of DIY’ing 😂😂

As Churchill said 'When you are going through Hell, keep going.'

• 1 year later...
On 1/6/2022 at 5:07 PM, edc said:

Mine were made as part of the initial run/experiment by @jimk04 You will see the same thing now by Function First but Jim was doing them first. More details in my 550 running report. I had a new standard 987 engine mount at the same time

https://www.BoXa.net/topic/59044-edcs-550-anniversary/page/19/

Sorry to dig up an old thread but are these poly trans mounts ‘in production’ so to speak?

On 9/2/2023 at 7:42 AM, ricof said:

Sorry to dig up an old thread but are these poly trans mounts ‘in production’ so to speak?

I don't think so. @jimk04 is rarely on the forum these days. That said I have my original old pair of mounts. These dint need to look nice and it should be a pretty simple DIY.