Headlights and tail lights always on?

Chris D

I have Xenons and Sports Chrono (did have PCM, now has aftermarket head unit) if it makes any difference.

When the ign is on / engine running the headlights and tail lights are always on. Light switch set to off makes no difference whatsoever.

Something at fault or is this normal?

Unless somebody has wired up your light to the ignition this isn't normal. You should try and test your light switch too. 

If you had PCM 2.1 then setting Daytime Running Lights was an option for the driver; I have it on mine.  I think in cars which don't have that, the option is available but needs to be coded, probably by PIWIS, don't know.  But I think that's what you're looking for.

Sounds like DRL ( daytime running lights ) - my 987.2 has menu options for that ( thats how I run mine ) - but didn't think the UK 987.1 had that - so possibly the car is "confused" over its country coding (thinking maybe that was a requirement for some sale areas).

Whereabouts are you - maybe someone near to you has a piwis that can check country coding or if anything has been "done" software wise to make that happen. 

LE13. 

I had psm 2.1 (still have it in a box) and the manual for it shows how to turn DRL on and off. 

Seems to be a function that my car is equipped with. Do the rears operate as well as the fronts when DRL is activated? 

I may have to temporarily swap the head units over to configure worst case. DRL isnt a bad thing. Not being able to switch it off so easily now is a bit of a pain. 

The 987.1 didn't have drl IIRC but there are various hacks that can use the sidelight in bumper to be the drl. If the main headlight unit is coming on with the ignition though then there's either a fault or somebody has wired it for that. 

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

Sounds like DRL ( daytime running lights ) - my 987.2 has menu options for that ( thats how I run mine ) - but didn't think the UK 987.1 had that - so possibly the car is "confused" over its country coding (thinking maybe that was a requirement for some sale areas).

I work in Austria a lot (well, I used to when that was allowed...) and most of their cars have the headlights on all the time, as a default setting.  It takes a while to get used to seeing cars driving in bright sunshine with the lights on, but it's normal for those crazy Austrians.  In fact, it looks weird on the rare occasions you see one with the lights off :lol:

As others have said on here, it's probably a country setting that needs to be changed back to the UK default.

16 minutes ago, edc said:

The 987.1 didn't have drl IIRC

You remember incorrectly :) Mine have it and I use it. But they use the dipped beam as DRL, no little strip of LEDs in the front bumper.

1 hour ago, Chris D said:

I may have to temporarily swap the head units over to configure worst case.

Or you could just go to an OPC and give them 30 quid (?) to switch your DRL off via PIWIS. (If they want 300, you have your answer!) Or look in our PIWIS/Durametric thread and see if someone close to you will do it for beer tokens.

So, just to close this out and help future searches.

I put the PCM 2.1 back in termporarily (took about 20 mins as expected). With ign on and the head unit on main, press set. Go into individual memory. Settings as per manual image above. I turned the lights off in the end.