Won't lock - Double Beep

joeluth

22 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Doh!

I never thought to check if the same problem occurred when pulling the inside handle.

I was wrong about that, the switch you have goes inside the door actuator. 

I know because I've just removed mine, it's filthy full of gunk, hoping cleaning it out will save me buying a new actuator module! 

19 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

I am not sure which part you are replacing tbh but as I advised above, your problem is with your door lock module. 

Replace these as a complete unit with a genuine Porsche part. 

Thanks mate, yes I did see you mentioned that, just got distracted with all the microswitch talk.  Currently attempting to clean up the module switch in the hopes that it's just dirty.   new porsche ones are quite expensive. 

15 minutes ago, joeluth said:

Thanks mate, yes I did see you mentioned that, just got distracted with all the microswitch talk.  Currently attempting to clean up the module switch in the hopes that it's just dirty.   new porsche ones are quite expensive. 

Used genuine is the way forward 

A bit of a ramble but I just thought I'd update anyone who is interested in my progress here!  I noticed  there's a couple of guys with similar problems at the moment @Daboy3000 @resarf

firstly  I'm 99.9999% sure @TROOPER88 is correct and I need a new actuator, I just didn't fully understand why.

So I spent a fair bit of time yesterday investigating what was up with my car immediately unlocking itself  followed by a double beep, 
really just to get a better understanding of how it all worked.

I was a bit annoyed with myself because I
 had rushed out and unneccasarily replaced a microswitch in the drivers side external door handle without really thinking it through.

Firstly I inspected all the door handle microswitches, both doors inside and outside.

I noticed was the passenger external handle switch was looking very bad, kinked and frayed, pretty much split as soon as i  touched it, so I took that apart and cleaned it up, re-soldered the wire.

gpmrbeU.jpg

6AdnSJK.jpg

Repaired wires.
  I naturally assumed this was the cause of my woes,  but alas this was just a coinceidence, it was not the cause of the double beep/unlock issue, however  it's fixed the intermittent fault with the window drop on the passenger side!

Since I had replaced the drivers side  handle microswitch already,  it was time to take the  actuator out and look at the lock switch on that.

KwcaHFR.jpg

It seemed ok but was dirty, so I cleaned it up with electrical cleaner, being a genuine unit I was able to take the little microswitch apart, it just unclips, so I got all the grime out of it and looking good, however I suspect the switch has worn down, certainly appears so compared to the internal switches, I also noticed a wear / groove in the latch that the switch interacts with inside the mechanical part of the actuator - so my issues my well be down to worn down components,  but it does appear to be making contact and clicking/working as it should. 

Then it was time to have a look inside the electrical side of the actuator to see how the internal switches were doing. You can see all 4 of them "red" 

C8C8wjC.jpg

They all looked fine, all nice and clean and clicky, as far as I can tell these are to do with keeping the window dropped whilst the door is open, detecting the physical key turn , talking to the alarm unit.

OK so with no obvious problems inside the unit it was time to turn over the circuit board and see if I could see any issues there.

ewztu7E.jpg

Looks ok.. but on much closer inspection I found another issue.   Cracked solder points!

9MTpYBS.jpg

These are the backs of the socket pins, that connect to the physical 9 pin connecter cable inside the door.  I'm going to try to re-solder these.

it's these points circled here- 

k1HL1aX.jpg

So seeing as I have a worn down latch and micro switch and broken solder points it's probably beyond repair,  but it feels better to know why! 

I'll have a go at soldering those points, I may as well having got this far, and maybe replacing the worn microswitch too, it might live to see another day.

Hope this helps anyone else out there, I've got more photos here incase anyone takes there's apart and wonders where all the bits go back - https://imgur.com/a/USu6J31

Have a good weekend all!

Joel

Edited by joeluth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@joeluth good inspection and write up.  As you say good to understand 'why' rather than just replace it to solve the problem given this is apparently becoming a more common issue on these older cars. 

Hopefully this will let others make a quick decision on their way forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Alas I am forced to ressurect this thread because I've swapped one problem for another.

Here goes:

To recap,   I couldn't lock the car, it would immediately unlock and then double beep.

I assumed the issue was with the drivers side.

As advised here, I bought a used genuine replacement, fitted it, pressed the key fob and the car locked, no beeps, just as it should!

great, problem solved I thought!

Then when I unlocked the car it double beeped!

I checked everything and tried again but now it always double beeps on unlock.

I thought well maybe this used part is faulty in a different way,  so I bought an aftermarket one,  exactly the same result, double beep on unlock.

In writing this I've figured it's likely I also have an issue with the passenger side actuator, perhaps self inflicted when I cleaned it up.. 

Not much else I can do other than replace that side too. @TROOPER88 any thoughts on the above? maybe you can you sort me a 9 pin passenger actuator?

Cheers!

Joel

43 minutes ago, joeluth said:

Alas I am forced to ressurect this thread because I've swapped one problem for another.

Here goes:

To recap,   I couldn't lock the car, it would immediately unlock and then double beep.

I assumed the issue was with the drivers side.

As advised here, I bought a used genuine replacement, fitted it, pressed the key fob and the car locked, no beeps, just as it should!

great, problem solved I thought!

Then when I unlocked the car it double beeped!

I checked everything and tried again but now it always double beeps on unlock.

I thought well maybe this used part is faulty in a different way,  so I bought an aftermarket one,  exactly the same result, double beep on unlock.

In writing this I've figured it's likely I also have an issue with the passenger side actuator, perhaps self inflicted when I cleaned it up.. 

Not much else I can do other than replace that side too. @TROOPER88 any thoughts on the above? maybe you can you sort me a 9 pin passenger actuator?

Cheers!

Joel

The car locks and unlocks all good but the double beep is the only issue?

If so, just disconnect the horn that makes the beep (it’s not the main horn) 😃

20 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

The car locks and unlocks all good but the double beep is the only issue?

If so, just disconnect the horn that makes the beep (it’s not the main horn) 😃

Ha, yeah I did that!    I can still hear the relay double clicking though.    Almost as anoyying.

12 minutes ago, iborguk said:

cheers mate, yeah  I read that thread.  it's going on about the car being confused, thinking it's locked and unlocked at the same time.

It's what lead me to believe the used genuine replacement actuator was faulty, which I've now ruled out because the new aftermarket one behaves the same way.. 

fairly convinced at this point that I've just buggered up the passenger side actuator when I took it apart to clean it up.

I'll pull it apart again over the weekend and see if there's anything obviously wrong, if not then I'll replace that one too.

What a faff.. I'd rather be sorting proper issues on the car than chasing double beeps but it's getting personal now.. I will not be defeated!!

Finally solved this one!!!

I'd got something a bit wrong when I re assembled the passenger actuator, I gave it an internal clean up and i'd misaligned a little plastic slot that fits onto one one the little motors, so one of the microswitches wasn't being switched when the car was unlocked.

Hence double beep on unlock.

Popped it back in place, re assembled and fitted and the car now finally unlocks and locks with no beeps.

So safe enough to say both the aftermarket and used drivers side actuators fixed the real issue! 

Feels good! Off for a drive, laterz!! 

• 4 weeks later...

Can I ask what aftermarket actuctor you got it appears my 986 is now doing same thing neither door is locking but drives door locks of key and i get the double beep you can hear it lock then unlock off the remote

22 minutes ago, Chukkieegg said:

Can I ask what aftermarket actuctor you got it appears my 986 is now doing same thing neither door is locking but drives door locks of key and i get the double beep you can hear 

Sure it was this one : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174225058811?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=wJiZ5q5jTRy&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=6YCR027-QBG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I've still got the aftermarket actuator here and it def works, I tried it,   Was just gonna keep it as a spare but if you're near York I'd be happy to let you test fit it and see if it solves your problem there! 

7 minutes ago, joeluth said:

Sure it was this one : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174225058811?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=wJiZ5q5jTRy&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=6YCR027-QBG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I've still got the aftermarket actuator here and it def works, I tried it,   Was just gonna keep it as a spare but if you're near York I'd be happy to let you test fit it and see if it solves your problem there! 

Very kind of you but I am in Stoke on trent I will get one ordered as trying to find a replacement motor likely a 987 but I can't try to trade mine when it don't lock 😂 

26 minutes ago, Chukkieegg said:

Very kind of you but I am in Stoke on trent I will get one ordered as trying to find a replacement motor likely a 987 but I can't try to trade mine when it don't lock 😂 

No worries, good luck! 👍 

• 1 year later...

Hi Joeluth 

Glad you got this sorted. I'm having same issue. How did you determine which lock actuator to change ( eg drivers side ) or was it a guess.

Also with my problem the lock/ unlock switch on dash does not work or even light up. Did you have this ?

Cheers