Won't lock - Double Beep

joeluth

Out of nowhere I've got a double beep when I remote lock the car.

I can hear the car try to lock itself but then immediately unlock, followed by the double beep.

Same goes for a manual attempt at locking the door with the key.

However if I leave the car unlocked then after a while it locks itself! 

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers all,

Joel

Yes, thanks I did, it's a 2000 model without the glovebox,  and i'm pretty sure it's not the centre console because I fixed that in the past.

I recall the doors would still lock with a faulty centre console switch,  where as currently the doors are immediately unlocking themselves.

1 hour ago, rowbos said:

Have you checked the usual suspects... glove box and armrest latched?

These would give a single beep.  2 beeps is locking system related so follow @Boxob's route to investigate.

@TROOPER88 any insight?

Mine did this when i first got it, but it did lock straight away. I changed my interior motion sensor, mine is a 1999 but 2000 model and i was warned that they did 2 different sorts at that time. i got a second hand one from Douglas Valley and I think it was Steve that rang me and explained this and how to tell which version you have. Hope you get it sorted.

11 hours ago, joeluth said:

Yes, thanks I did, it's a 2000 model without the glovebox,  and i'm pretty sure it's not the centre console because I fixed that in the past.

I recall the doors would still lock with a faulty centre console switch,  where as currently the doors are immediately unlocking themselves.

If it is registered December 2000, it will be a 2001 model year car.  To double check, the interior light and motion sensor changed from a light that just rocked to switch into 3 positions (Off, door operation and no) to a light with a press switch and included background down lighting.  I changed my 2000 to a 2001 version with no issues other than having to change the plug in connector (cut one off splice on new one and the three wires do not go into the same holes on the plug, two cross over but the loom colours tell you this...) but if yours is a 2001 car this shouldn't be a problem, direct swap.

Up to 2000 version:

Porsche Boxster Interior Roof Light Map Light & Microwave Sensor Mk1 Style. | eBay

2001 onwards:

Porsche Boxster Interior Light & Microwave Sensor MKII MK2 With Single Microswit | eBay

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

If it is registered December 2000, it will be a 2001 model year car.  To double check, the interior light and motion sensor changed from a light that just rocked to switch into 3 positions (Off, door operation and no) to a light with a press switch and included background down lighting.  I changed my 2000 to a 2001 version with no issues other than having to change the plug in connector (cut one off splice on new one and the three wires do not go into the same holes on the plug, two cross over but the loom colours tell you this...) but if yours is a 2001 car this shouldn't be a problem, direct swap.

Up to 2000 version:

Porsche Boxster Interior Roof Light Map Light & Microwave Sensor Mk1 Style. | eBay

2001 onwards:

Porsche Boxster Interior Light & Microwave Sensor MKII MK2 With Single Microswit | eBay

mine was registered march 2000 and has the former, just fyi

If it locks and immediately unlocks, it is most likely a door microswitch.  An interior monitoring sensor fault will give you a double-beep, but will not stop the doors from locking.

Try the emergency locking procedure.  Turn the key in the door to the lock position and back to centre 3 times in quick succession.  The door should stay locked.  (Three key remote button presses can also do it).

8 hours ago, mike597 said:

mine was registered march 2000 and has the former, just fyi

Thank you for the suggestions and links, yes it's a December 2000 car, so it seems it's a 2001 model.

The light/sensor looks like this.

s-l500.jpg

1 hour ago, Richard Hamilton said:

If it locks and immediately unlocks, it is most likely a door microswitch.  An interior monitoring sensor fault will give you a double-beep, but will not stop the doors from locking.

Try the emergency locking procedure.  Turn the key in the door to the lock position and back to centre 3 times in quick succession.  The door should stay locked.  (Three key remote button presses can also do it).

Thank you Richard, I think you've nailed it there,  yes the doors do immediately unlock.

Your emergency door lock procedure worked! the car beeped once and stayed locked.

I also I tried three remote button presses and it stayed locked with zero beeps! 

I had also been getting an occasional issue where the drivers side glass didn't drop, perhaps that's also related to the door microswitch.

Thanks!

Joel

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Up to 2000 version:

2001 onwards:

Thank you for that, good info,  I have the 2001 model then.

20 hours ago, joeluth said:

Thank you Richard, I think you've nailed it there,  yes the doors do immediately unlock.

Your emergency door lock procedure worked! the car beeped once and stayed locked.

I also I tried three remote button presses and it stayed locked with zero beeps! 

I had also been getting an occasional issue where the drivers side glass didn't drop, perhaps that's also related to the door microswitch.

Thanks!

Joel

I just bought a VW microswitch from China for about £4 on ebay.  Going to try this weekend as my window goes back up as soon as I let go of the handle.  I was also getting double beeps etc.

4 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

I just bought a VW microswitch from China for about £4 on ebay.  Going to try this weekend as my window goes back up as soon as I let go of the handle.  I was also getting double beeps etc.

Could you give us a link to the switch you purchesed? I'm looking for a microswitch as well.

11 hours ago, pacificjuha said:

Could you give us a link to the switch you purchesed? I'm looking for a microswitch as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265539587554 - This is the drivers doors side

I have no idea if it's the correct one, but at that price I thought it was worth a gamble.   Delivery was over a week but much quicker than they estimated.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daboy3000 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265539587554 - This is the drivers doors side

I have no idea if it's the correct one, but at that price I thought it was worth a gamble.   Delivery was over a week but much quicker than they estimated.

Interesting, I just paid 10 times that for a genuine one! complete with both ends - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152613851711

I saw the cheaper VW ones but they didn't look the same to me, should arrive tomorrow so I'm going to strip the door back tonight ready to replace.

I will report back on progress.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joeluth said:

Interesting, I just paid 10 times that for a genuine one! complete with both ends - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152613851711

I saw the cheaper VW ones but they didn't look the same to me, should arrive tomorrow so I'm going to strip the door back tonight ready to replace.

I will report back on progress.

I'm sure that will be much quicker to replace and will work.  Whereas I have no idea if mine will work, I don't even know if its that thats causing my issue, I will also report back.

3 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

I'm sure that will be much quicker to replace and will work.  Whereas I have no idea if mine will work, I don't even know if its that thats causing my issue, I will also report back.

Just taking the door apart now, it would appear that switch you have is for the inside door handle, it looks like it, and the one I have is for the outside handle. 

52 minutes ago, joeluth said:

Just taking the door apart now, it would appear that switch you have is for the inside door handle, it looks like it, and the one I have is for the outside handle. 

Doh!

I never thought to check if the same problem occurred when pulling the inside handle.

Edited by Daboy3000

2 hours ago, joeluth said:

Sadly replacing the exterior switch in the drivers side door handle has not fixed it.  It's still unlocking itself.   I guess I'd better have a look at the passenger side next. 

I am not sure which part you are replacing tbh but as I advised above, your problem is with your door lock module. 

Replace these as a complete unit with a genuine Porsche part.