Clamshell Adjustment

Bferry70

Morning all,

Having not had the roof down for a few months (a weak excuse, I know, considering the heated seats!), I have seem to have developed a problem with the clamshell alignment. The clamshell no longer wants to completely close when the hood is down, stopping shy of a consistent 1 inch all round. Having read a few posts on this, I have checked that the hood is all correctly attached and I have greased all moving parts but still the clamshell is not completely sitting flush.

Am I right in thinking there is a manual adjustment that can be made, and if so, is it an easy fix?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

On 3/28/2022 at 10:31 AM, Bferry70 said:

Morning all,

Having not had the roof down for a few months (a weak excuse, I know, considering the heated seats!), I have seem to have developed a problem with the clamshell alignment. The clamshell no longer wants to completely close when the hood is down, stopping shy of a consistent 1 inch all round. Having read a few posts on this, I have checked that the hood is all correctly attached and I have greased all moving parts but still the clamshell is not completely sitting flush.

Am I right in thinking there is a manual adjustment that can be made, and if so, is it an easy fix?

As this is a question you might receive a better audience if you re-submit in the "Boxster chat 986" section or "Technical question" area ๐Ÿ™‚

Edited by charlieboy2608

Havingย not had the roof down for a few months (a weak excuse, I know, considering the heated seats!), I have seem to have developed a problem with the clamshell alignment. The clamshell no longer wants to completely close when the hood is down, stopping shy of a consistent 1 inch all round. Having read a few posts on this, I have checked that the hood is all correctly attached and I have greased all moving parts but still the clamshell is not completely sitting flush.

Am I right in thinking there is a manual adjustment that can be made, and if so, is it an easy fix? I think the hood might be stopping the clamshell sitting flush.

10 hours ago, ยฝcwt said:

Sounds like teh drive could have dropped out of sync. @TROOPER88 believe you gave advice on this recently?

When you say drive, do you mean the 2 gear boxes - one on either side of the hood? If that's the case then it sounds like it it can possibly be adjusted?

Has anyone had to do this that could shed some light? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

41 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

I did, is it locking shut or can you still lift the clam shell? And does it close with the roof up?

I haven't tried lifting the clamshell, so can't say for certain. The light goes of on the instrument panel to say the process is complete? When the hood is closed, the clamshell shuts and sits nicely flush.

If your clam closes correctly with the roof closed, there is nothing wrong with the gearboxes, or cables etc

Id strongly advise not to play about with it tbh :)

If the clam is not closing fully with the roof open and itโ€™s open the same amount across the clam, itโ€™s the roof itself thatโ€™s causing your problemย 

I had this on a 987.ย  It was the plastic trim where the roof clips to the rear of the car.ย  If it isn't clipped on properly, the roof doesn't sit low enough and the clamshell sits high.

Good luck. :)

42 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

If your clam closes correctly with the roof closed, there is nothing wrong with the gearboxes, or cables etc

Id strongly advise not to play about with it tbh :)

If the clam is not closing fully with the roof open and itโ€™s open the same amount across the clam, itโ€™s the roof itself thatโ€™s causing your problemย 

๐Ÿ‘

36 minutes ago, Araf said:

I had this on a 987.ย  It was the plastic trim where the roof clips to the rear of the car.ย  If it isn't clipped on properly, the roof doesn't sit low enough and the clamshell sits high.

Good luck. :)

I'll have a good inspection when I get home. Interestingly, it had it's annual service in January and I certainly haven't had the hood down since then.

Thanks for the replies all๐Ÿ‘

16 minutes ago, Bferry70 said:

I'll have a good inspection when I get home. Interestingly, it had it's annual service in January and I certainly haven't had the hood down since then.

Thanks for the replies all๐Ÿ‘

That could be when it happened then.ย  If the plastic roof edging isn't clipped back properly after the roof has been in service mode, it takes up the roof space when in the lowered position on the 987.