Replacing rear arch clear protectors

funbobby

11 hours ago, BBB said:

All surfactant mixtures contain salt. It’s there to control the formation of micelles and the viscosity. That includes all car wash shampoos. The salt is dissolved in the water which is the bulk of the product, so is present as aqueous ions, not solids. It’s not possible to scratch a car from the salt in car shampoos, and it’s one of the persistent myths of car washing.

However, washing up liquid is a very strong detergent, so strong that it will also remove wax coatings from the top of the paint, so isn’t recommended for that reason, as it leaves a very clean, but unprotected paint surface which can look very dull.

One has to be so careful saying anything on this forum, there is always someone who really knows there sh......

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

You did that on purpose didn't you?

I have no idea what you mean🙄

1 hour ago, rowbos said:

Their is always one eh? 😬

THERE always is 😜

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, EVO Chris said:

I use teepol, it PH neutral and kind to the bodywork, used it with many film applications on my bikes. Teepol :: Teepol Car Shampoo. Never had an issue.

Teepol make products that are far from PH neutral so for anyone reading this make sure you buy their car shampoo, unless you like the "metallic look"

To smooth this one over, use a very small amount, couple of drops of the nearest to neutral pH (7 is neutral, higher is alkali, lower is acid) surfactant (liquid detergent, soap, shampoo) that you can. 

The amount of washing up liquid for floating on vinyl would not damage your paint finish, however if you have some in the house the best option would be the baby shampoo.

@Takahashi would a manufacturer warrant a DIY application anyway?

7 hours ago, Terryg said:

One has to be so careful saying anything on this forum, there is always someone who really knows there sh......

Sorry if it came across as snarky, but with a PhD in Chemistry and industry work with surfactants I thought it could be useful to chip in on misinformation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BBB said:

Sorry if it came across as snarky, but with a PhD in Chemistry and industry work with surfactants I thought it could be useful to chip in on misinformation.

Not at all, always good to read something from someone who knows their stuff. 

• Like 2