Inner roof 'clickly in strip' has a crack...

Medic-one

I'm sure 'clicky in strip' isn't the technical term for it, but for the first time since buying the car 10 months ago I wanted to have a look at the bits that need disconnecting to get to the engine, so I opened the roof about 10 cm and then just had a look at where the roof comes up. 

First thing I spotted, all the way down in the right side corner (looking towards the front of the car) was a small umbrella (the ones that hold in and fit in small bag) that had been missing for a long time.  I think it must have put it either behind the seat or in the boot, but no idea how it ended up down the side of the roof mechanism...

I then also noticed one of the roof bits that you have to click out to get remove the roof was already unclicked (probably due to the umbrella?) and actually had a small crack in it :

20220406-184019.jpg 

20220406-184059.jpg

Is that strip easy to replace, or will a bit of black tape over the crack be a simpler solution ? 

2 minutes ago, Medic-one said:

First thing I spotted, all the way down in the right side corner (looking towards the front of the car) was a small umbrella (the ones that hold in and fit in small bag) that had been missing for a long time.  I think it must have put it either behind the seat or in the boot, but no idea how it ended up down the side of the roof mechanism...

Found a decent sized hammer in mine.  I assume it was from when it went in for some work, but no idea whose (it's been to a few different places) and since when - as I hadn't looked there for 10 years...

Hammer now in the tools drawer.

I have a feeling thats attached directly to the roof - so non trivial to replace I would imagine - in situ repair ( perhaps epoxy ) is probably most effective 

Also - While you are in there - check your drains.

3 minutes ago, Medic-one said:

Any links (ideally with pictures) to what/where I'm checking exactly by any chance...  

The drains are the most common topic of conversation on this forum. The standard recommendation is to buy a trombone cleaner, Amazon do them for about a tenner. There are around half a dozen drains fore & aft. Clogging can cause electrics to get wet & fail, often costing around £400 to fix. If you type 'Drains' into the search function on BoXa.net you'll find the locations of the drains all mapped out.

• Thanks 1

The apron fixed to the bottom of the hood that this plastic strip is attached to actually helps run off from the roof to get to the drains when teh hood is up, so as long as it holds in place in the clip a dab of epoxy is OK.  You should make sure that the ends of the apron are both over the foam hoppers for the drains at either side when you reconnect it after accessing the engine bay to ensure no water gets in to the bulkhead area when the roof is up.

Mine has an almost identical split in the same location. I just try to ensure I clip it just to one side of the split, but I’m not sure that does anything apart from self deception that it may help.

One extra thought on the subject; you can get little drain covers cheaply from OPC, that push into the tops of the drains and keep major debris out. Well worth it.