Metallic scraping noise at low revs

True As Steel

I hope someone can help.

My 2001 986 S Tip makes a strange metallic scraping noise at about 1100 rpm. The noise comes from the rear, is audible in all gears and goes away when revs go up or down.

I am aware that when driving a Boxster you shouldn't really let the revs drop below 5000rpm but sometimes it's just necessary 😁

Has anyone come across this issue?

One of the fixings came off my exhaust heatshield - also thought the rattle was something serious then checked under the car - big big relief 😁 - very easy to hit the panic button, but the more I get to the know the car, the less I panic 😁

2 hours ago, letsmile said:

One of the fixings came off my exhaust heatshield - also thought the rattle was something serious then checked under the car - big big relief 😁 - very easy to hit the panic button, but the more I get to the know the car, the less I panic 😁

My wife has got that problem with her car, but what do you expect from a 5 month old landrover ! Having said that her last one needed a new engine at 6 months !

14 hours ago, letsmile said:

Porsche paranoia is a thing 🙂

2 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

Porsche paranoia is a thing 🙂

Yup. 2 weeks into ownership on my 987.1 , cracked coil packs caused some interesting engine behaviour "My Porsche is broken !!!!" Fortunately warrantied but still gave a moment of anxiety !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 999mch said:

My wife has got that problem with her car, but what do you expect from a 5 month old landrover ! Having said that her last one needed a new engine at 6 months !

6 Months, the engine lasted that long🤣. Seriously though I’ve had Land Rovers all my driving lifetime. They do get under your skin though, I still have 3 old ones. My newest one is a 1985 V8 which is a nice toy to have in the garage.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Yup. 2 weeks into ownership on my 987.1 , cracked coil packs caused some interesting engine behaviour "My Porsche is broken !!!!" Fortunately warrantied but still gave a moment of anxiety !

Did they replace coils under warranty or good will as you'd just bought it? 

3 hours ago, Little Silver said:

6 Months, the engine lasted that long🤣. Seriously though I’ve had Land Rovers all my driving lifetime. They do get under your skin though, I still have 3 old ones. My newest one is a 1985 V8 which is a nice toy to have in the garage.

You know the rule, pics are mandatory  ;)