using trombone cleaner on drains

alank

Reading back through some postings about using Trombone cleaners. I previously asked whether the cleaner came out the bottom after feeding it in, and apparantly not. If this is the case, how do you know if you are not just compacting any crud that is in drain, then making it worse??. I know their are 4 drains to check.   cheers

I see you have a 981 however on the front drains on a 986 it is possible for the end of a cleaning rod to be deflected under one of the undertrays as it emerges from the drain so you can not see the end of the cleaning rod. Then there comes a point when you cant push the rod down further. It gave me a bit of a puzzle  one afternoon.

On 4/30/2022 at 11:14 AM, Pinewood said:

the soak test is to pour some water down said drain hole

Yes, like this - just pour a bit of water and it should come out like this.. (I always think it's a bit distributed looking here, but at least it's coming out!)

5 minutes ago, Withy said:

Yes, like this - just pour a bit of water and it should come out like this.. (I always think it's a bit distributed looking here, but at least it's coming out!)

If you want to be really sure re the drains then as a suggestion use a measured amount of water and check the same amount comes out...(e.g. us a measuring jug to pour in and a plastic container under the drain to catch it)

Edited by iborguk