Panel filter

Chukkieegg

OK so not really looking to mod my 987 2.7 much maybee an exhaust down the road but would you fit a performance panel airfilter just to help it breathe slightly better and if so what one would you go for? 

5 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

They are, I’ve currently got k&n in my 981 for that reason 😂

I think you could use k&n if they are cheaper, mine looked very similar to the bmc

I was thinking pipercross 

Yes you could go that way, I haven’t used a Pipercross since the 90’s in my 106 Rallye😂 I don’t know if there is any difference between foam or the cotton filters sound or performance wise. I think Patt used Pipercross in his 986.

2 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Yes you could go that way, I haven’t used a Pipercross since the 90’s in my 106 Rallye😂 I don’t know if there is any difference between foam or the cotton filters sound or performance wise. I think Patt used Pipercross in his 986.

I still have my S1 106 Rallyé w/ pipercross filter, lol. My neighbours must think I'm nuts, 106 is safely tucked in the garage and the porsche gets left on the driveway :P

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Simon998 said:

I still have my S1 106 Rallyé w/ pipercross filter, lol. My neighbours must think I'm nuts, 106 is safely tucked in the garage and the porsche gets left on the driveway :P

😂 Haven’t seen one in years, mine was a white S2 with the Pipercross cone filter and either a Scorpion ss exhaust. It was a cracking little car at the time, I think it was 18mths old and £7k. I could of only dream of owning a Boxster back then, fast forward 20 odd years and now there is a tasty 981S tucked in the garage 😎

As an alternative view, I’ll put a flame suit on and say, how about ‘NO’.

To achieve greater flow - filtration is sacrificed: more air = bigger holes to let bigger lumps through. 

All my opinion (and what do I know) but if a ‘performance’ filter was so easy why would Porsche or any other manufacturer chose to hobble their cars by not using one. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, horror said:

As an alternative view, I’ll put a flame suit on and say, how about ‘NO’.

To achieve greater flow - filtration is sacrificed: more air = bigger holes to let bigger lumps through. 

All my opinion (and what do I know) but if a ‘performance’ filter was so easy why would Porsche or any other manufacturer chose to hobble their cars by not using one. 

Cost???

I do agree about the more air requires bigger holes or surface area of holes (or at least more efficient holes).

Suspect (I'd hope) it's more driven by engineering design decisions than cost and personally I'll defer to them but that's obvs just my view, YMMV, other views are available...

Edited by iborguk

Interesting remember seeing a YouTubee vid a few months ago 2australians with a 987 and a dyno using a standard airbox with a panel filter got 2bhp over stock filter but when they swapped to larger throttle body and forced air induction kit lost about 4bhp so think the airbox cobfig from porsche is good think I just want a little bit more induction noise which you should get with a panel filter over a paper one

3 hours ago, iborguk said:

Suspect (I'd hope) it's more driven by engineering design decisions than cost and personally I'll defer to them but that's obvs just my view, YMMV, other views are available...

They could probably fit a better performing panel for air flow vs filtration but could it do the service interval, cope with multiple environments world wide and also meet the build budget?

• Thanks 1