Heating no longer hot?

Medic-one

Went for an early morning blast with some friends to a local car show, and had the heater on with the vents pointing towards my hands, when suddenly the air stopped being hot, and was just luke warm. 

Tried it again at the end of the morning on the way home, and it's no longer blowing out hot air like it used to, apart from when you turn it up all the way to HIGH, then it is hot, but any temp below that, which previously was still rather hot, is now just luke warm.  

Am I right in saying this could be a waterpump issue ? and if so is that something a garage would be able to check easily ?

On 5/8/2022 at 6:22 PM, Medic-one said:

Went for an early morning blast with some friends to a local car show, and had the heater on with the vents pointing towards my hands, when suddenly the air stopped being hot, and was just luke warm. 

Tried it again at the end of the morning on the way home, and it's no longer blowing out hot air like it used to, apart from when you turn it up all the way to HIGH, then it is hot, but any temp below that, which previously was still rather hot, is now just luke warm.  

Am I right in saying this could be a waterpump issue ? and if so is that something a garage would be able to check easily ?

I think if it was a water pump issue it would be HOT all the time surety 

Have you checked your coolant level? If it's low it could struggle to blow any hot air through. Your coolant guage may indicate warmer than normal if its low on coolant too. I had a thermostat housing fail on me once in a previous car (not porsche) and the heater air gradually blew cooler and the guage moved closer to red. 

On 5/9/2022 at 5:29 PM, Philc said:

I’d recommend getting an elm327 bluetooth obd adapter for less than a fiver from ebay, and the free torque app, you can get live coolant temp readings, might help diagnosis with your coolant issues.

Good idea, just ordered one 👍

8 minutes ago, Guy Wilkinson said:

Deffo the cabin temp sensor. Just replaced mine with identical symptoms

Trouble is the cabin temp sensor on the 987 is part of a hvac control unit.  

there’s no replacement sensor ( nor the little fan that pulls the air over it ) 

I agree that’s a symptom but you would want proper diagnostics before committing to a replacement for that unit ….. 

Considering the car had recently had other cooling system challenges then I think there might be more going on.  

3 hours ago, gillbe said:

After the run with no heat from blower, are the rubber pipes to the radiators in front wheel wells hot?  They should be, that at least would narrow the problem area down

I've not checked that, but it's going in for some investigations on Monday so hopefully will know more then.