Central locking issue

danb

37 minutes ago, danb said:

Cheers, that does sound likely then.  When you say the stereo cage, do you mean the metal chassis of the cd unit or the cage that the cd unit is inserted/removed from?

The physical metal stereo cage

Your other issue is the actual key head, you'll need new one/s

Soooo....

Pulled the radio (what a pain - it's properly tight)

Inspected the side and it had the correct insulating plastic that contacts the alarm switch.

Tested the switch and could see it on the live icarsoft display change from open to closed.

Left the radio disconnected and removed and also found what looks like an unatteched 3.5mm stereo jack and a SMA aerial connector that was also unattached... Remnants of a phone system I guess.

Anyway I was running out of time and needed to get on with something else so left it and closed the doors.

Tried the remote and it worked!

So went back and moved some of the cables back and then went to lock it again and nothing....

Got fed up and decided to put in in the garage, so lowered the roof and backed it in, put the roof up and went to lock it but the windows were still partly lowered from the roof coming down - it didn't lock remotely... Put the windows up and it locked remotely fine...

Will see what tomorrow brings!

Got round to taking another look at this today.

Remote central locking was still working when I unlocked it, so I thought I would put the radio back in and try it.

Radio back in and central locking no longer works.  Take it out again and it still doesn't work.  Still the same single beep when manually locking it too and the central locking light on the interior switch remains on...

I'm with Danb. I fitted a continental HU and always have the single horn beep after locking on my 996 and 986. But the cars locked fine.

Recently and intermittently on the 986, windows wouldnt drop on drivers door handle lift, and I had the red LED on central locking switch. So I've ordered a new door lock unit.

8 hours ago, Guy Wilkinson said:

I'm with Danb. I fitted a continental HU and always have the single horn beep after locking on my 996 and 986. But the cars locked fine.

That will be the little insulating pad that is likely missing.  I believe the way it works is that this should be an open circuit in normal operation, as it's insulated with a plastic pad on the cdr22, but if someone tries to remove it then it will make contact with the metal of the radio and complete the circuit, setting off the alarm.  So if you add some tape/an insulator on the left hand side of the radio it should prevent the beep....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, danb said:

Can someone with a working 986 remote confirm a few things for me:

If you use the remote when the windows are down does it lock? Any beeps?

Note it may be model year specific so ideally you need to know what a 2000 model does. I doubt it would beep as I think you can lock the car with the hood and windows down.

For reference, it will lock remotely without beeping with the hood down (MY2000)

I believe that I know the cause now....

I was thinking, that what is the one thing that I hadn't been thinking about but had also been interacting with? The ignition!  The single beep makes sense if the alarm thinks the key is still present (I think this may be what the signal 15 refers to in the ecu).  So I gave the key a few jiggles in the ignition and it seems to lock remotely now.

Given that and the propensity for the ignition switch to fail I have ordered a replacement (at grand cost of £8)

Fingers crossed that does the trick!

Edited by danb

I recently replaced mine and it solved quite a few problems. However my drivers window is now not dropping on pulling the handle and a red light shows on the key symbol switch.

Good luck with fitting the ignition switch, easy if your under 4 ft or a contortionist, so I’m told. I did mine through the vent and am still pulling scans off!

Dave

• Thanks 1

You don’t have an FM / Bluetooth transmitter / receiver fitted do you?

Since I’ve started using one to stream music from my phone to the Porsche head unit I find the key buttons don’t work when the FM receiver unit is plugged into the cigar lighter. As soon as I unplug it they key buttons start to work…..

6 minutes ago, Downsey said:

You don’t have an FM / Bluetooth transmitter / receiver fitted do you?

Since I’ve started using one to stream music from my phone to the Porsche head unit I find the key buttons don’t work when the FM receiver unit is plugged into the cigar lighter. As soon as I unplug it they key buttons start to work…..

No, but that is an interesting one.

I wonder if the FM or BT signal overlaps the frequency band the remote uses perhaps.

Do you see the red light flash when the BT unit is plugged in and you try the remote? If not then I would think that there is probably an overlap

5 minutes ago, danb said:

No, but that is an interesting one.

I wonder if the FM or BT signal overlaps the frequency band the remote uses perhaps.

Do you see the red light flash when the BT unit is plugged in and you try the remote? If not then I would think that there is probably an overlap

I’ve not looked to be honest, but will see what I can find out. I figured it’s a crossover with frequencies somewhere - most probably on the BT side over the FM side.

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2022 at 8:22 AM, Menoporsche said:

Ignition switch at the back and key barrel are two different weak points. But most problems are from the switch. 
Really hope it sorts it for you. 

Finally got round to swapping out the switch, not too bad a job after working out how to lie myself down....

Unfortunately it didn't fix it, so looking like the barrel is more likely the culprit.

• 3 weeks later...

Help again similar problems.
I have just replaced the drivers side window mechanism (cable snapped) and now the interior door lights stay on and won’t go off, I also get a single beep when trying to lock the car. Window also doesn’t drop on pulling the door handle from inside or out, but strangely on using the key in the door the window goes up but not down.
I also have the airbag light on even though I disconnected the battery long before when I disconnected the wires to the airbag.

Solutions please Dave

25 minutes ago, Pordave said:

Help again similar problems.
I have just replaced the drivers side window mechanism (cable snapped) and now the interior door lights stay on and won’t go off, I also get a single beep when trying to lock the car. Window also doesn’t drop on pulling the door handle from inside or out, but strangely on using the key in the door the window goes up but not down.
I also have the airbag light on even though I disconnected the battery long before when I disconnected the wires to the airbag.

Solutions please Dave

Sounds like a microswitch in the door lock assembly. They are not the cheapest, but received wisdom is to use and original Porsche one either new or second hand if budget is a bit tight.

As for air bag, I guess you don't have a code reader to clear it.  Where are you in the country are you (you can put it in your profile)?  Some one local may be able to help you with this.

1/2cwt 

Thanks for the quick reply as usual.

Can you advise if the micro switch is removable without taking the handle off.

Also can you recommend a cheap code reader for a 1999 Boxster.

And finally can you possibly confirm if a  VW Golf drivers door lock mechanism which I believe is a Mk 5 item that will substitute for a Porsche item.

Cheers Dave CHEAPSKATE in Chesterfield

40 minutes ago, Pordave said:

1/2cwt 

Thanks for the quick reply as usual.

Can you advise if the micro switch is removable without taking the handle off.

Also can you recommend a cheap code reader for a 1999 Boxster.

And finally can you possibly confirm if a  VW Golf drivers door lock mechanism which I believe is a Mk 5 item that will substitute for a Porsche item.

Cheers Dave CHEAPSKATE in Chesterfield

I think there a 4 switches in the lock/handle assembly. Some on did do a strip down of one and posted pictures a month or so ago.

It it tire the Porsche part is a VAG based item but people have more trouble with VAG ones, particularly after market ones, but Porsche ones work first time so really not worth the cheapskate approach on this one I'm afraid.

Porsche code reade, try iCarsoft v1.0POR. about £100.

• 2 months later...

Pretty sure this is now fixed.

Took the plastic surround off the ignition, and got some contact cleaner spray/IPA which I sprayed around the *outside* of the lock barrel, whilst turning the key back and forth.

After then leaving it for 10mins, it seems to have freed up the steering lock - now I get a good strong "clunk" instantly on removing the key, whereas before I would have to tap on the end of the key and it was much quieter and slower to activate (on the 15th try)

Happy days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, danb said:

Pretty sure this is now fixed.

Took the plastic surround off the ignition, and got some contact cleaner spray/IPA which I sprayed around the *outside* of the lock barrel, whilst turning the key back and forth.

After then leaving it for 10mins, it seems to have freed up the steering lock - now I get a good strong "clunk" instantly on removing the key, whereas before I would have to tap on the end of the key and it was much quieter and slower to activate (on the 15th try)

Happy days.

Get an aftermarket (or even VAG original if you wish) spare in stock, it will let you down eventually.  Mine finally failed the afternoon before leaving on a European trip, fortunately local supplier had an aftermarket one under the equivalent VW/Audi part number 4B0 905 489.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Get an aftermarket (or even VAG original if you wish) spare in stock, it will let you down eventually.  Mine finally failed the afternoon before leaving on a European trip, fortunately local supplier had an aftermarket one under the equivalent VW/Audi part number 4B0 905 489.

I did replace the ignition switch a while back hoping that would fix it.

I think in this instance it was the lock tumbler that had become sticky it seems.