A question (that has been asked many times) to the knowledgeable lot on BoXa.net

Christopher2110

A question (that has been asked many times) to the knowledgeable lot on BoXa.net

My 986S is going up for sale. It’s in good condition, a couple of nicks and scratches, and the wheels need a refurb. Starts on the button and drives very well, it just doesn’t get the use it deserves, especially now I have another exciting car to drive. 

Arctic silver 

MY03

Approx. 160,000 miles

Part service history 

Bad points - 

Central locking only works with key. 

1 key. 

Air con not getting cold

Rev counter needle doesn’t display revs (cannot work out the cause of this - annoyingly)

Other points - 

Exhaust back box bypass 

1 touch on the go roof operation 

Heated seats (DIY fit not OEM)

Double Din touch screen 

Rear speaker, dash speakers and door speakers upgraded 

OEM Short shifter 

18” Carrera wheels

DRL hack

Twin fog conversion 

Front coffin arms refreshed and then tracking sorted 

The question is how much should the starting price be?! A tough one, and as well all know it’s only worth what someone wants to pay for it! 

You can try 8k. Facelift with tasty mods is good, May is good, sadly mileage and the bizarre Rev counter will knock it down. 
Warning: I usually have no clue what I’m talking about. 

43 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

You can try 8k. 

I think £8K is a bit strong to be honest, given the amount of work it will need to sort out the central locking, air con, and the rev counter issue.  Also, the high-ish mileage will put off some buyers, even though it's well documented that these cars can take it without too many problems.  On the plus side, we are coming into the summer months, so obviously a great time to sell any convertible car.

But then again, what do I know - I drive a Cayman (my standard get-out clause to justify any opinions I give on here :lol:)

Get an advert posted on here with plenty of photos when you're ready, and maybe advertise on ebay or Autotrader as well - Good luck with the sale mate :thumbsup_anim:

I feel that one key is almost standard for cars this age. We know here that £500 will sort your aircon, at least condensers, not sure about corroded front-rear pipes. It's just the rev counter thing. Haven't heard of it, so we don't know if it's a £50 or £1000 fix (er, new cluster plus coding), and you can't expect to hide it from anyone! The rest of it sounds like a desirable spec though.

Normally I'd say lower than 8k but some stuff has been going for crazy money recently, so I thought to start at that and work downwards. Gotta be worth starting at 7.5k, with all those bits already done to it.

Go to Groupon and get a cheap ATS Euromaster a/c test and refill.  At least for about £40 you will know if it is a leak or just low pressure.  At least you can tell a buyer either way.  If ti is a condenser, a DIY fix is an afternoon's work and under £200 if you go for mid range after market parts.

Where are you on tyres, brakes, clutch, rest of the suspension etc. i.e. the big spend items.  This will encourage or put off people.  If they come on here though they will be advised to budget £1.5-2k on fixes over the first year or so.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Go to Groupon and get a cheap ATS Euromaster a/c test and refill.  At least for about £40 you will know if it is a leak or just low pressure.  At least you can tell a buyer either way.  If ti is a condenser, a DIY fix is an afternoon's work and under £200 if you go for mid range after market parts.

Where are you on tyres, brakes, clutch, rest of the suspension etc. i.e. the big spend items.  This will encourage or put off people.  If they come on here though they will be advised to budget £1.5-2k on fixes over the first year or so.

Good thinking RE the a/c test!
Plenty of tread on all the tyres although fronts are due for a change shortly due to the age, front brakes/ pads done a couple of thousand or even less and rears around 5k and clutch has plenty of life left in it. 

All great points and exactly the kind of points I wanted, helps me build a better ‘for sale’ ad! 😃👍🏼