4.0 GTS exhaust options

Ballie

Hi everyone I just joined and this is my first post. I just bought a 718 Boxster GTS 4.0 and was wondering what options there are for aftermarket exhausts or part exhausts.

I can see behind the rear wheels both sides there is a pipe that seems to come from a CAT and then has another filter on it which I assume is a PPF filter and this has a sensor in it. I see akrapovic make this pipe without the filter on. Would replacing the stock ones with after market bring on a EML? Does anyone know?

Hi there and congratulations on your new car 👌

They are quite new and I don’t think there are many on the forum yet due to the delays.

I saw a Cargraphic system for sale in a magazine which had freer flowing PPF filters, no idea how much it would be 😩

Im guessing if you remove them you will get a fault light so a sports version is probably the way forward.

Post some pictures of your car when you get chance as we aren’t seeing many of them 👍

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2022 at 5:36 PM, Ballie said:

Hi everyone I just joined and this is my first post. I just bought a 718 Boxster GTS 4.0 and was wondering what options there are for aftermarket exhausts or part exhausts.

I can see behind the rear wheels both sides there is a pipe that seems to come from a CAT and then has another filter on it which I assume is a PPF filter and this has a sensor in it. I see akrapovic make this pipe without the filter on. Would replacing the stock ones with after market bring on a EML? Does anyone know?

I have just spotted that Litchfield are doing an upgraded exhaust - could be worth looking into

Fantastic looking car, well played that man :thumbsup_still:

My advice would be to leave the exhaust alone.  I'd like to think the original system is optimised to the car already.  But then again, what do I know, look what I drive... :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, iborguk said:

A lovely, well sorted Cayman.

@Ballie Welcome and if you're willing to share, what do you consider lacking re the factory exhaust setup ? Thanks

I feel the stock exhaust is very restrictive, looking at the manifolds as they lead into the CAT, the CAT it's self will also restrict flow but we have to have a CAT I suppose. However the over axle pipes from the CAT to the PPF are very small diameter and restrictive and the PPF it's self is even more so... Personally I would like to fit a set of akrapovic larger diameter over axle pipes and that also deletes the PPF by removing it, but I am guessing this will throw a EML fault as the PPF is monitored. If I can find away around this without maping I will be doing it.

Also the pipes on the manifold are not round which I feel must be restricting flow 

20220712_135153_resized.jpg

1 hour ago, Ballie said:

I feel the stock exhaust is very restrictive, looking at the manifolds as they lead into the CAT, the CAT it's self will also restrict flow but we have to have a CAT I suppose. However the over axle pipes from the CAT to the PPF are very small diameter and restrictive and the PPF it's self is even more so... Personally I would like to fit a set of akrapovic larger diameter over axle pipes and that also deletes the PPF by removing it, but I am guessing this will throw a EML fault as the PPF is monitored. If I can find away around this without maping I will be doing it.

Also the pipes on the manifold are not round which I feel must be restricting flow 

20220712_135153_resized.jpg

OK let me ask a different way, what do you want from changing it , more performance , (just) more noise ?

This does sound nice...

Edited by iborguk

My CGTS 4.0 is coming up to 7K miles and the exhaust note has vastly improved from when it was new. So much so that when I recently took it to my detailers recently he asked me if I had changed the exhaust from when he first had the car 2 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

My CGTS 4.0 is coming up to 7K miles and the exhaust note has vastly improved from when it was new. So much so that when I recently took it to my detailers recently he asked me if I had changed the exhaust from when he first had the car 2 years ago. 

Very interesting when I bought mine it had 465 miles on it and sounded awful in my opinion! Its now done 1500 and does sound better I thought maybe I was just getting used to it but maybe not maybe it is improving. Maybe I need to wait a while before spending out?

My other criticism is the power seems to only come in high up in the range like 5000 plus I hae assumed this was down to exhaust and intake restrictions but I could be wrong. In all honesty this is my first dive into Porsche ownership I have always owned (and still do) Italian branded cars 

I would save your money for now in respect of the exhaust. With regard to power delivery, I stuck pretty rigidly to the running in guidelines and it does feel the engine has benefitted. It puts down the power smoothly right through the rev range and the engine note is fantastic above 4,000 revs.

9 minutes ago, Boyo said:

I would save your money for now in respect of the exhaust. With regard to power delivery, I stuck pretty rigidly to the running in guidelines and it does feel the engine has benefitted. It puts down the power smoothly right through the rev range and the engine note is fantastic above 4,000 revs.

I can't say how it was driven for the first 465 miles but I did another 1000 miles not reving it about 4000

I hadn’t considered the running in period😂

I would hold fire on the exhaust until you have got some mileage on it and see what you think. Also it gives people a chance to try different exhaust combinations at their expense and then you can learn from their expensive mistakes.

I been watching a few guys in the states trying to get a decent sound out the Spyder and they are spending some serious money and yes it does sound louder but not a very nice sound to far😉

The Litchfield does seem like an interesting idea but another issue is the exhaust valves staying closed between something like 2000 - 5000 revs, so maybe that's the first step from someone like cargraphics, the other attraction to that is that it's probably not obvious to a Porsche dealer so warranty less likely to be  affected.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 7:34 PM, BarrySt said:

The Litchfield does seem like an interesting idea but another issue is the exhaust valves staying closed between something like 2000 - 5000 revs, so maybe that's the first step from someone like cargraphics, the other attraction to that is that it's probably not obvious to a Porsche dealer so warranty less likely to be  affected.

That's what I did - had the cargraphics exhaust valve controller fitted so that the flaps stay open between 1800-4500 rpm when PSE is on.  It's definitely an improvement; but it's still muted compared to a 981 with PSE.

Edited by Tilum
  • Like 1