Anyone who doesn't have a Boxster should fek off,,,,,,Errrrr :(

16 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

Any convertible is acceptable rather than a tin top surely? 🤔

15 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Bye!

:weeep: 

1 hour ago, Araf said:

:weeep: 

You're OK Ian, at least you still claim to have a 987.2S even if you brought a tin top AM to a BoXa meet!! 😉

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

You're OK Ian, at least you still claim to have a 987.2S even if you brought a tin top AM to a BoXa meet!! 😉

I'll have to get another.  I can't change the sig line or I lose everything as D8ean cut it down to 15 characters.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 6:10 PM, jonogt6 said:

Tbh I don't just think it's Porsche dealers who can be poor. I had terrible experiences with a few parts depts over the years. Some of them are complete cretins. As the old saying goes...you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

I work for a motor factor and we have to deal with main dealer parts departments on a daily basis, yes the standard of knowledge has dwindled over the years to the level that we subscribe to a website called partslink24 and get the oe part number before we ring the dealer- In effect we are doing there job for them, but the issue lies with a chronic shortage of parts advisors across both dealers and motor factors and its mainly down to wages....a typical factor and a dealer parts department employ's advisors and drivers, Go back say 6 years , a van driver would be on minimum wage 16k a year and a parts advisor on say 22k a year, with the increases in the minimum wage drivers wages are now 21k a year but the advisors wages are only around 23k a year ( some of my local dealers are advertising at 21k !!) , then take into account most van drivers take a van home and have no costs in relation to it, yet advisors have to pay there own travel expenses , it doesnt take much working out to see why advisors are leaving the trade

Edited by dunks

14 hours ago, dunks said:

I work for a motor factor and we have to deal with main dealer parts departments on a daily basis, yes the standard of knowledge has dwindled over the years to the level that we subscribe to a website called partslink24 and get the oe part number before we ring the dealer- In effect we are doing there job for them, but the issue lies with a chronic shortage of parts advisors across both dealers and motor factors and its mainly down to wages....a typical factor and a dealer parts department employ's advisors and drivers, Go back say 6 years , a van driver would be on minimum wage 16k a year and a parts advisor on say 22k a year, with the increases in the minimum wage drivers wages are now 21k a year but the advisors wages are only around 23k a year ( some of my local dealers are advertising at 21k !!) , then take into account most van drivers take a van home and have no costs in relation to it, yet advisors have to pay there own travel expenses , it doesnt take much working out to see why advisors are leaving the trade

I think this is exactly the problem. I am sure the parts guys are very knowledgeable on the current models. I worked at a BMW dealer/ service department years ago while I was studying and the guys there had to write and pass several exams before they could be released on their own in the wild (in a manner of speaking). I am sure the guys at Porsche have to do the same sort of thing but I doubt it would cover every Porsche model ever manufactured.

They're good when you can give them the part number though. I saved £35 off the price of the hardtop kit buying through the Porsche dealer - once I gave them the part numbers they ordered and it was there two days later. All present and correct. I reckon I'll do that from now on. They're ten minutes down the road from me.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

I think this is exactly the problem. I am sure the parts guys are very knowledgeable on the current models. I worked at a BMW dealer/ service department years ago while I was studying and the guys there had to write and pass several exams before they could be released on their own in the wild (in a manner of speaking). I am sure the guys at Porsche have to do the same sort of thing but I doubt it would cover every Porsche model ever manufactured.

They're good when you can give them the part number though. I saved £35 off the price of the hardtop kit buying through the Porsche dealer - once I gave them the part numbers they ordered and it was there two days later. All present and correct. I reckon I'll do that from now on. They're ten minutes down the road from me.

+1

This is why I've become a bit (very??) geeky on the parts catalogues for the 986/987, helps that I've run a parts store too and I enjoy it.  However if you go into a Ford dealer and start asking them about parts for a '99 Fiesta and you may well get a blank response too.  The fact the an OPC is the cheapest source of genuine parts, doing a bit of leg work for them doesn't seem too hard.  Once they are looking in the right place their system gives them the up issues or supersession part numbers. At Silverstone I was quite lucky to find one fot eh parts guys was a 986/996 enthusiast so made it a bit easier, however he's transferred to the sales side.  The current team do seem to be efficient though. 

On 6/10/2022 at 9:52 AM, Boxer boy said:

Nice chappie ,tells me he was a tech for 15 yrs from school but ended up with a skin allergy to the PPE etc .Went to work as coach driver . Lockdown killed that career.New dealership opened same family run multi marque business re employed him as the parts guy .This OPC has a strong customer service culture. Very strong indeed.Front of house is everything, the customer contact etc etc .

Know exactly who you’re talking about. He’s very good.

If you ever see a scruffy, noisy silver 986 when you’re at that OPC say “Hello”.

• Haha 1