Centre console delete kit

RedBarediver

Hi all,

I have been looking for a centre console delete kit in my colour but alas, Porsche do not make them anymore. I have a graphite grey interior and I have searched high and low, and far and wide but no luck.

I am now thinking of making my own eventually (these things percolate in the back of my mind usually for a few weeks or months before I get stuck in) and was wondering if anyone can provide me the dimensions of an actual official centre console delete kit. I know I can just get a black one, go to an upholsterer and get the right colour carpet for a few pounds but it can't be that difficult to make it yourself, or can it?

I was thinking if I have the dimensions I can just build one out of plywood and cover it with the correct colour carpet. Has anyone done this, and if you have what did you use?

Edited by RedBarediver

Probably easier if you say where you are and see if there are any BoXa members near you with the delete kit fitted. You could then take your own measurements.

6 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Probably easier if you say where you are and see if there are any BoXa members near you with the delete kit fitted. You could then take your own measurements.

Good point. I'm close to Lewes on the south coast. If anyone is about next weekend I think the Plough at Plumpton hosts an old timer type car meet on what looks like the first Sunday of every month. Last time I went past there I stopped and saw a few very nice Porsches. the one that stood out was a lovely 993 (?) RS (Rennsport). I don't know how formal an affair it is but to be honest it looked pretty laid back to me. If the Boxster wasn't so dirty I would have stayed longer as they do a good lunch and have a decent selection of beer on tap.

57 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

Good point. I'm close to Lewes on the south coast. If anyone is about next weekend I think the Plough at Plumpton hosts an old timer type car meet on what looks like the first Sunday of every month. Last time I went past there I stopped and saw a few very nice Porsches. the one that stood out was a lovely 993 (?) RS (Rennsport). I don't know how formal an affair it is but to be honest it looked pretty laid back to me. If the Boxster wasn't so dirty I would have stayed longer as they do a good lunch and have a decent selection of beer on tap.

Pop it into your profile so it shows on all your posts. 😉 

2 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

I didn't realise how close you are to me.  If you do get one made, I would love to see it.

I think i'll to pop over to the Plough this Sunday, see what's happening.

UPDATE: 10th July is the next cars and coffee, just called them.

Edited by Daboy3000
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

I didn't realise how close you are to me.  If you do get one made, I would love to see it.

I think i'll to pop over to the Plough this Sunday, see what's happening.

UPDATE: 10th July is the next cars and coffee, just called them.

Cool, we should just show up with a bunch of Boxsters :) 

Like I said, this sort of thing takes some time to percolate with me usually. I am of the ilk that measures a few times before I cut anything. I'll do some research and see what the dimensions are first, then check what materials are best to use (don't want any more harmonic resonance than what I'm already getting from the eBay Dronemaster exhaust..), and then I'll crack on with it. If I do get it to work eventually you're more than welcome to check it out and replicate it 9or improve on the design).

20 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

It's pre-90s,  I will probably have the whole family with me, so I'll go in my electric car, that'll p*ss off the old boys lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RedBarediver said:

Like I said, this sort of thing takes some time to percolate with me usually. I am of the ilk that measures a few times before I cut anything. I'll do some research and see what the dimensions are first, then check what materials are best to use (don't want any more harmonic resonance than what I'm already getting from the eBay Dronemaster exhaust..), and then I'll crack on with it. If I do get it to work eventually you're more than welcome to check it out and replicate it 9or improve on the design).

Could I suggest getting either engine bay cover carpet from a breaker as source material for the carpet?

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

There are quite a few members that have gone down the console delete route so I’m sure someone will be able to help you with dimensions.

if it was me though and you were prepared to buy one in the first place, I’d buy one and just replace the carpet to match yours, unless you have time on your hands and fancy a challenge go for it and build one.

Edited by the baron

1 hour ago, the baron said:

There are quite a few members that have gone down the console delete route so I’m sure someone will be able to help you with dimensions.

if it was me though and you were prepared to buy one in the first place, I’d buy one and just replace the carpet to match yours, unless you have time on your hands and fancy a challenge go for it and build one.

Yes, I'm thinking of getting the black one and just replacing the carpet. Less hassle than fannying around trying to build one..

• Like 1

I fitted one to my now long gone 986, from memory you could fabricate something for the where the console goes up against the bulkhead, but you will need the small plastic plate that will blank off the gap left in front of the gear lever. An alternative would be to doing something more radical with the console between the seats, I was on that route when I sold the car, a custom gear shift surround with an old school rubber gater around the gear lever.

• Like 1

Yes, the little bit of plastic is needed or it would look weird. I also got the little plastic cover for the hardtop fitting so now it looks neat and tidy. I am leaning towards just getting a black delete kit and sourcing the correct colour carpet. I could just staple the carpet over the black and if I ever want to revert back to original I can sell the delete kit as either black or graphite grey :) Not that I think I would ever go back once I have the extra legroom but you never know...

6 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

Yes, the little bit of plastic is needed or it would look weird. I also got the little plastic cover for the hardtop fitting so now it looks neat and tidy. I am leaning towards just getting a black delete kit and sourcing the correct colour carpet. I could just staple the carpet over the black and if I ever want to revert back to original I can sell the delete kit as either black or graphite grey :) Not that I think I would ever go back once I have the extra legroom but you never know...

I loved the extra space and the retro look, I sold the car with the delete kit and the parts to put it back to stock.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did you get a ‘delete kit’ made or is this still a future project? Just wondering as I have an unused kit for my car (metropole blue) and could take measurements etc. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 11:27 PM, TomGW said:

Did you get a ‘delete kit’ made or is this still a future project? Just wondering as I have an unused kit for my car (metropole blue) and could take measurements etc. 

Still a future project of mine. I decided that should I go ahead with it I'll just buy a black one and get the right carpet etc from an upholsterer. This I can then just install over the black carpet. I am still in two minds about this though as it loses a lot of storage space in an already small cabin. I don't tend to do longer trips than two hours or so at the most (at the moment) and the lack of legroom doesn't bug me that much yet.

That being said I think it would be great to have measurements - not just for my convenience, but also for anyone else who is thinking of the same thing.