Recommend me a CarPlay head unit please

Roger C

Hi all, the one thing I hate about our 987 is the cr@p stereo.

My daily is a Mk6 Golf GTD and Ive just upgraded the headhunt to a CarPlay unit, I love it, I'm an Apple fan boy so it suits my needs perfectly.

So, how hard is it to upgrade our stock 987 CDR24 to a CarPlay item, and what head units would folk recommend.

Thank you

Rog.

I recently did this, although upgrading from a CDR30. Most difficult part was getting the old unit out! Plenty of room for wires & very easy to run the DAB aerial up the side of the window. Also used an Incartec wiring adaptor & facia which made it a doddle. 

I went for a Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB as I wanted some physical buttons & usually have the phone plugged in to keep the battery charged, so not having wireless CarPlay didn’t bother me.

9PjYQRE.jpg

Edited by 2001pt

3 hours ago, 2001pt said:

I recently did this, although upgrading from a CDR30. Most difficult part was getting the old unit out! Plenty of room for wires & very easy to run the DAB aerial up the side of the window. Also used an Incartec wiring adaptor & facia which made it a doddle. 

I went for a Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB as I wanted some physical buttons & usually have the phone plugged in to keep the battery charged, so not having wireless CarPlay didn’t bother me.

Physical buttons for volume are good, it’s quite difficult to see the volume buttons on my screen with the roof down so you just have to know where it is!

Edited by 944GS

I've recently had a SPH DAB250 fitted. I'm not mad about having touch screen controls for volume as you obviously have to look down to find them. I've got controls on the steering wheel which until yesterday I thought weren't anything like linear enough for the volume, but having discovered a sub menu that alters the sound level for each speaker, that's now much better. The sound quality through the standard amp and Bose speakers isn't as good as the factory carplay setup in my 2018 Ford Connect however........

I went for a Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB because of the physical volume buttons. 

Always forget I have steering wheel controls :doh

This unit has wired car play, but it also charges the phone so a win win for me. 

off to Wales next week, and no issues with phone batteries etc

47 minutes ago, Pinewood said:

I went for a Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB because of the physical volume buttons. 

Do Pioneer pay you commission?

I bought an ex display Pioneer SPH-DA160DAB off eBay. It had a minor mark on the screen which is not noticeable but was disclosed in the listing etc. Was £100 cheaper than new retail. Very happy with the unit. As mentioned the volume is a bit crappy being touch screen type thing but ill get over that. I prefer the plugin type as feel its more robust as in will wont cut out halfway through. Plus I put my phone in the glovebox and it refrains me from even touching my phone. 

1 hour ago, Bleedsoff said:

As mentioned the volume is a bit crappy being touch screen type thing but ill get over that.

There are neat little Bluetooth remotes on eBay that may work with your unit, they just have track forward / back and volume +/-

• Thanks 1