Installing a Continental head unit help please

300SL-24

I am looking to fit a continental CDD741UB-OR unit into my 2003 Boxster S.

I currently have a Porsche CDR23 installed with the Bose kit. I have read this is difficult to do because of the cabling in the car being MOST/Bose.

Can anyone shed some light on this before I start the install please?

Many thanks

15 hours ago, 300SL-24 said:

Thanks I have emailed them but the website says it does not have a harness for the cars with MOST

I have just checked Bergvill.s website and they do supply a harness for Boxsters with Bose (Porsche option M490) it’s a bit pricey at €55 but will make it a plug and play fitting.

It is item 12321 on their website 

5 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

I have just checked Bergvill.s website and they do supply a harness for Boxsters with Bose (Porsche option M490) it’s a bit pricey at €55 but will make it a plug and play fitting.

It is item 12321 on their website 

OP has the BOSE amp with the fibre optic connections, the above is just wired amps.

@300SL-24 Its years ago since I did this but I remember I did use one these Xtrons Optical decoder .

It isn’t difficult to do. You just need the right adapters.  Bose audio system has fibre optic input. Replacement head units have analog output.  You need an adapter.  They aren’t cheap. 

You may also need a unit that provides the head unit with switched (ignition on ) power, and tells it when the lights are on to dim the display.  

have a look at incartec.co.uk they have a “what do you have” “what do you want “ “this is what you need” system.  You maybe able to get the various parts cheaper shopping around but they will tell you what to look for. 

you will lose some Bose functionality. No fader, and no control over the subwoofer function but you can only work with what’s available 

• Thanks 1

Hi

I have a 2004 with CDR23 and Bose/Most and want to do the same thing, i found a company called Cartronics that could supply a loom as plug and play for the continental units, back in Feb it was £290.00 plus antenna adapter at £15.00 and then carriage at £12.00 so a lot of money considering the continental head unit i was looking at was only £199.00, I didn't do it in the end due to other costs on the car but maybe in the future.  

• Thanks 1

I guess if you are willing to change the head and the amp and possibly even all the speakers than you can just basically fit the new system complete and bypass all the old connections.  Not sure how this would work with the bass box behind the wind deflector as it is essentially a speaker although I dont know if it is amped internally / active or passive

• Thanks 1

I had a Saab 9-3 with a MOST system. I gave up trying to replace the head because the interfaces cost more than the head units (they do exist but typically c.£250).
Eventually I kept the head unit and wired a BT/MP3 panel into the AUX input.
Example : www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403721276675?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 999mch said:

If you have no amp what stereo do you currently have and does it work? It should be pretty much plug and play if that all works at the moment 

Hi mate,

It's this one, with the reversing camera 

SPH-DA130DAB

All works perfectly, hopefully can just swap out for the continental, or I'd quite like to go back to stock ICE. Myn car came with the minidisc head unit from the factory, sadly now long gone.

24 minutes ago, Freddie said:

My car came with the minidisc head unit from the factory, sadly now long gone.

I never knew that Porsche did a minidisc, if I hadn't just ordered a CDR22!

I found one on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283676769109?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=Cj0KCQjwj7CZBhDHARIsAPPWv3e8cYJR0QWOL3WPdU913MvmkAoQk2acnHQv5pe-NjD4kgn0mdK1dmsaAtCEEALw_wcB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freddie said:

t's this one, with the reversing camera 

SPH-DA130DAB

Ok this is unlikley to be plug and play as the speakers appear to be on an RCA connection but the continental will not be. it will depend on whether the wiring was done with proper harness adaptors or made up bespoke. i would pull out the stereo and take some photos of the connections and all the wiring

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 999mch said:

Ok this is unlikley to be plug and play as the speakers appear to be on an RCA connection but the continental will not be. it will depend on whether the wiring was done with proper harness adaptors or made up bespoke. i would pull out the stereo and take some photos of the connections and all the wiring

Ta bud, I will do, I'm pretty tempted to just go back to stock anyway, so will need the lot - amp, head unit and changer, getting pricey tho🙈

On 9/22/2022 at 8:08 AM, Freddie said:

Hi mate,

It's this one, with the reversing camera 

SPH-DA130DAB

Installed one of these. There’s an adapter cable supplied with the headunit that converts the DIN power and speaker blocks to a single connector at the headunit.

Assuming whoever installed it used this your factory loom and black/brown DIN blocks should be intact.  You will need to provide this adapter cable if you opt to sell the DA130.

The Continental should just plug into the black and brown DiN loom blocks but it would be worth checking that the pin mapping between the loom and Continental unit. 

Edited by map
Typo
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, map said:

Installed one of these. There’s an adapter cable supplied with the headunit that converts the DIN power and speaker blocks to a single connector at the headunit.

Assuming whoever installed it used this your factory loom and black/brown DIN blocks should be intact.  You will need to provide this adapter cable if you opt to sell the DA130.

The Continental should just plug into the black and brown DiN loom blocks but it would be worth checking that the pin mapping between the loom and Continental unit. 

Thanks a million, I will take a look at this tomorrow, this info helps me a lot, thanks so much.