Roof groaning

Freddie

Hi all,

I have noticed that when lowering the roof (after it's been closed a while) the mechanism is pretty groany, sounds a bit laboured, it goes all the way up and down but it doesn't sound right so am doing some preemptive maintenance. I have greased the two rails/tracks, and the balljoint bits, working my way along.

I thought I'd ask in case anyone had the same issue so can point me in a particular direction. I am up for pulling things apart but also leaving things well alone and ballsing it up unnecessarily! 

Many thanks!

9 minutes ago, Freddie said:

Hi all,

I have noticed that when lowering the roof (after it's been closed a while) the mechanism is pretty groany, sounds a bit laboured, it goes all the way up and down but it doesn't sound right so am doing some preemptive maintenance. I have greased the two rails/tracks, and the balljoint bits, working my way along.

I thought I'd ask in case anyone had the same issue so can point me in a particular direction. I am up for pulling things apart but also leaving things well alone and ballsing it up unnecessarily! 

Many thanks!

Maybe post a video link demoing the issue.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Have the runners and joints been lubricated recently?  Use aerosol lithium grease like on door and boot hinges.

Thanks, Yep, I dabbed in some grease a few weeks back, the red stuff that's OK on plastics/rubber, should be OK shouldn't it? I thought this best due to the plastic parts it comes into contact with. I have some spray grease somewhere.

I always thought the groaning like they were dying sound was the standard sound for these hoods. Greasing the runners and joints should make it run a bit smoother. I never worried about it, as mine sounded the same as a few courtesy cars I've had. I think the time to worry is if it makes clonking/banging noises. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 3:59 PM, GmanB said:

I always thought the groaning like they were dying sound was the standard sound for these hoods. Greasing the runners and joints should make it run a bit smoother. I never worried about it, as mine sounded the same as a few courtesy cars I've had. I think the time to worry is if it makes clonking/banging noises. 

My main reason to worry was that I had a 2.5 with a really nice roof until quite recently, it operated fast and smooth, like it had been renewed recently, so it made my 3.2 sound like it was dying, in comparison. I have been recording it in operation everytime I've used it in the past week or so and it's sounded much better, typically! I have lubed ir recently so who knows, maybe it's finally reached the parts other lubes can't reach!