Hazard warning lights and alarm

alank

Whilst watching tv tonight noticed the car alarm go off and Hazard lights flashing. the alarm stopped on its own but Hazards still flashing. Stopped with key. Went for a drive to see it it would fix things. Got home , locked up .all was well for 30 mins, then did it again. Thinking it could be Alarm siren box, as DAZ mentioned in a video. Any help appreciated, thanks

Yep, does sound like the battery in the alarm has gone down. The same happened to my 981. I replaced the battery with a slightly bigger one from RS components, an easy and cheap fix. I did do a write-up somewhere on here.

Opc battery for my 987.2 was about 180 I think. 

<can of worms warning>

cars with stop start like to be told about new batteries. Some call it “coding” some call it “reset” but there is a process to tell the car it’s got a new battery and to treat it as such for estimated state of charge for both stop start and charging characteristics 

Not just Porsche - every car with agm or similar batteries has the same requirement.

many don’t bother and report no issue. I coded one for someone.  Their stop start hadn’t worked.  After coding it did.  

pays your money  takes your choice   

My Porsche (MOLL) for the 987.2 was £250 around 5 years ago.  A stop-start battery will be significantly more so I can see the pricing structure.

Don't Banner Batteries supply Porsche now?  I know Banners are easier to buy from the likes of Tayna (£151 + shipping) and may save later hassle, if there is something electrical which happens to the car and needs diagnosing with Porsche.

took car into have a battery check , and was told my 10 yr old battery is in good condition, and just needs a good charge, perhaps the result of short runs?? apparantly should be 800 cca, and mine is 705cca. the guy said hes seen porsches with 15 year old and more batteries. Still not convinced, but will see.

Incidently, do not get problem when its on my Lidl conditioner, and my alarm does chirp when i leave something open and lock car.  May do the battery in the Alarm as a precaution,  Anyone know what to order, without me opening mine first, cheers

3 hours ago, alank said:

Incidently, do not get problem when its on my Lidl conditioner, and my alarm does chirp when i leave something open and lock car.  May do the battery in the Alarm as a precaution,  Anyone know what to order, without me opening mine first, cheers

i'll try again :).  This is happening because your charger is providing energy to the battery in the alarm, your issue is that the battery INSIDE THE ALARM is busted and won't hold charge, it blanks out a short time after disconnection/engine off and the alarm triggers.  One forum member reported a used unit, same part number ending rev F from a VW worked on his car.  Changing the battery will be short lived unless you seal the unit as moisture will get in and corrode the internals.

• Like 1

can the siren/alarm be temporary disconnected whilst i look into that, without throwing any error codes, etc.  cheers

The reason  i still may suspect the battery is because it read 11.7 volts after the flashing/alarm incident, and i thought these cars can be doing strange things when battery is on its way out.  But i will disconnect siren if it can be

Looking at some internet information and noticed that US cars chirp twice upon locking, as people dont like the cheap sound and replace the siren with a better sounding one. 

Ours only chirp when we leave something open??