Boxster 2.9 won't start.....

....or even crank.

2010 6spd manual. Both keys open doors, frunk and boot. Both keys recognise on dash, and windows,  stereo and roof operational.

It's not the clutch switch as that's new and I'm not getting the dash instruction to depress clutch. Plenty of good fuel too, 

Battery on way out...? Noticed the clock is reading 12:00 and oddly it's 2 hours since I first tried to start her. Drove her all day yesterday and starred on the button.

Unfortunately I don't have any way of checking the battery apart from calling my breakdown company which seems a waste of their time.

Not my DD so no issues there.

Any help, advice or assistance appreciated. 

Si 

I would change it up and see if it starts. If the battery takes a charge and starts then look to the alternator as if that is working properly then after driving yesterday it should have a full charge. If it charge and starts get one of those battery monitor display and you can see the charging voltage as you drive to check if the alternator is working properly. 

Well, new S4 battery fitted and still won't start so after checking the alternator which seems fine, it appears to be a knackered starter motor...oh well, off to my mechanic on Monday....looking through the reams of paperwork I got with her in 2020 I'm sure it's the original starter motor. 

Time will tell I guess.

43 minutes ago, skoosh1970 said:

Well, new S4 battery fitted and still won't start so after checking the alternator which seems fine, it appears to be a knackered starter motor...oh well, off to my mechanic on Monday....looking through the reams of paperwork I got with her in 2020 I'm sure it's the original starter motor. 

Time will tell I guess.

That’s disappointing. Hope a new starter motor sorts it.

Could the starter motor bendix drive be jammed in the ring gear? Put the car in gear, brake off, and rock the car this will move the ring gear and release the bendix drive.  Same effect as hitting the start motor with a broom handle like Ed suggested.

19 hours ago, Boxob said:

Could the starter motor bendix drive be jammed in the ring gear? Put the car in gear, brake off, and rock the car this will move the ring gear and release the bendix drive.  Same effect as hitting the start motor with a broom handle like Ed suggested.

I shall give this a try later today sir.

No joy so recovery booked for tomorrow morning and my trusted mechanic primed to receive her and get her back on the road.  99% sure it's the starter motor and from what I can tell,  the original..  Not bad if it is at 156000 miles.. !!! 

Depending on progress don’t disregard the clutch switch. I had two fail on my 2009 Gen 2 987 Cayman, first under warranty and second about a year later, just outside warranty. 99% of the time there was no “depress the clutch” message and OPC claimed can’t possibly be the switch because it is not generating that message nor showing any faults. After a heated row on the second occasion they changed the switch again and bingo.

Cheers Brian, i had thought about that , i changed the clutch pedal switch a few months ago and did get the dash message.

My mechanic has tested the SM and confirmed it's had it's day so will order one online this weekend once i've decided which one.

Si.

Would you not consider getting your starter motor reconditioned which would be a lot cheaper than buying new plus you still have an oe starter in your car.

I am planning a trip to the South of France next year in my 986 S and I plan to get my SM reconditioned for peace of mind

Not always there is an auto electrical shop near where I stay that will recondition your original starter/alternator if you drop it off at their shop and they will recondition within a couple of days. This will work for me as my Boxster is  garaged for the winter if you’re car is a daily could be more of a problem.