Missing drain hole....

Daboy3000

....Well, the hole is there, just not the plug and pipe.

Car flooded again! First real rain since I lost my pop up garage.  I always thought the rain was getting in through the gaps in the roof but an inspection under the bonnet found a blocked one and a missing nearside one.

Does anyone know the best way to get to it?  Is it behind the wheel arch cover?

Front or rear ?

the fronts don’t have pipes. They are just rubber plugs with a “valve” like opening (other descriptions beginning with v are available).  Think a “one way door so big spiders can’t climb up “

not unusual for the fronts to be missing or poked into the never land of body work   

If front and if there’s no water pooling around these holes then there’s no blockage and nothing to fix (other than wanting to sort out the missing part - I get that ) that’s not the problem  

Hi Paul

Yes it's the front nearside. I had heard later cars don't have a pipe and just a plug that diverts the water?  Mine is completely missing, unlike the other side.  I poured water into the hole but it didn't come out the bottom like all the other drain holes.

12 minutes ago, Cybot7 said:

You can get a saxophone cleaning tool( got mine off Amazon) that should clean out any blocked pipes. 

Thanks, I'll get one ordered.

Just more concerned about refitting the missing one.  These diagrams are of no help, my drain holes are either side of the battery tray.  Does anyone have a parts diagram for them?

boxsterwaterdrains_zps1862f606_li_539547

UaVMLi4hg0yTeuif76Sv3oQKCikD-4tGfmEAU9KA

Edited by Daboy3000

I think I just need to take the wheel off and look.  According to this http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/66146-need-everyones-help-pushed-front-drain-hole-grommet-through-hole.html   I think I am missing 5 and 3, maybe they are just stuck lower down.

Someone mention that no water can get from the front into the cabin, if this is true then I am already in the wrong place for my ingrese issue.

503c533ec43ba693cf9ef0ebe72dce91.png

2 minutes ago, BBB said:

Which side of the car is getting wet? I recall someone posting that it was coming in through the cabin filter into their passenger side.

Both, but found the drivers side to be blocked and was full of water. Passenger side is much worse inside.

It's got to be the missing drain.  Cabin filter was dry as a bone.

Edited by Daboy3000

1 hour ago, Daboy3000 said:

Thanks, I'll get one ordered.

Just more concerned about refitting the missing one.  These diagrams are of no help, my drain holes are either side of the battery tray.  Does anyone have a parts diagram for them?

boxsterwaterdrains_zps1862f606_li_539547

UaVMLi4hg0yTeuif76Sv3oQKCikD-4tGfmEAU9KA

Get the trombone cleaner. Not the saxophone one. Apologies 

2 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

I've watched a few videos now that show 4 drain holes upfront.  They don't all have gromets/drainplugs.

Further investigation is required, I will update on friday

I watched one today. An elderly scotsman tipping water into each orifice from a watering can. If any of his drains aren't working, this technique is the short route to a flooded interior. Someone should tell him about the trombone cleaner.

20 minutes ago, McDonald said:

I watched one today. An elderly scotsman tipping water into each orifice from a watering can. If any of his drains aren't working, this technique is the short route to a flooded interior. Someone should tell him about the trombone cleaner.

I watched the same one.  I'm guessing he already cleared them out.

I did the same thing with mine, the last one I tried did not show water dripping from underneath so no doubt added to my already soggy carpet.

• Like 1

All the drain holes at the front should have drain tubes attached.  But when attempting to clear these tubes it is very easy to be too enthusiastic, dislodge the top grommets and push the tubes into the fuel tank compartment below.  This not a great disaster (though undesirable) as water will simply drain over the plastic fuel tank and emerge underneath.  The drain holes do not connect with the cabin (only with the fuel tank region) but if they get blocked then the scuttle area around the battery can flood and water find its way into the cabin through the cabin filter and cable penetration seals.

One of the tubes on my 1997 986 had been pushed through by a PO, but I found that by inserting a piece of wire into the lower end of the tube (which emerges in the front wheel arch area) I was able to manoeuvre the upper end of the tube to just beneath the drain hole, then grip the upper end of the tube with long-nosed pliers inserted through the hole from the top, and finally pull the grommet upwards into its proper position.  Fiddly but do-able.  The message is: only use something like a trombone cleaner to clear the drains, and then use it very gently, bearing in mind that there is a 90 degree bend in the tube a few centimetres below the drain hole.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Apologies if this is completely irrelevant. Nearly 20 years ago I bought a brand new 986 then had a 3rd party GPS tracker fitted. When the guy had finished I found 2 pieces of a hollow plastic pipe that had been pulled apart inside the car, underneath the dashboard, to the right of where the passenger’s right foot would go, behind the carpet, running from somewhere above to somewhere below. I just put the tubing together again, assuming it was a drain. I never had any dampness inside the car in the 6 years/80k miles I had it, and I was glad I noticed it when it happened. Might be related to your issue, might not!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrianJ said:

Apologies if this is completely irrelevant. Nearly 20 years ago I bought a brand new 986 then had a 3rd party GPS tracker fitted. When the guy had finished I found 2 pieces of a hollow plastic pipe that had been pulled apart inside the car, underneath the dashboard, to the right of where the passenger’s right foot would go, behind the carpet, running from somewhere above to somewhere below. I just put the tubing together again, assuming it was a drain. I never had any dampness inside the car in the 6 years/80k miles I had it, and I was glad I noticed it when it happened. Might be related to your issue, might not!

hmmm. I removed the tracker as one of my first jobs, I wonder....

47 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

hmmm. I removed the tracker as one of my first jobs, I wonder....

There are rubber bungs or nylon grommets for cable access. 

• Like 1