Dash tweeter upgrade (981 & 991)

Tony Daniel

A simple upgrade to the speaker system on the 981 is to replace the useless tweeters in the dash. I followed an old post on RENNLIST detailing changing them on a 991 and picked up a pair of Dayton Audio ND20FB-4 (£46 a pair on Amazon). The 981 grills is slightly different to the 991's and the spring clip that holds them in is a bit of a pig to get off on the first attempt.

IMG20230107150516

Above shows the original tweeter on the right and the new Dayton ND-20FB next to it. It fits like a glove in the speaker grill 

IMG20230107151609

I took the back of the old speaker with the OEM cable socket and capacitor. It just peels off after de-soldering the connections, then re-solder it to the new tweeter

IMG20230107152510

The Dayton speakers fit exactly into the original speaker housing, and after doing one it took me 10mins to do the other side.

The difference in the sound now is very noticeable and has me thinking what to do with the door speakers. I think they consist of a 200mm sub and 100mm mid range in each door. 

Edited by Tony Daniel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

After the success of the dash speakers I have decided to go ahead and replace the 2 in each door as well so this lot turned up today.

IMG20230202113330

Audison 4" Mid range and Audison 8" Sub woofers. Both of these are 4 Ohms which are a direct replacement to the ones in my car with the Sound package plus fitted. I believe its a little more difficult with Bose as usual because the subs are only 1 ohm.

Fitment required speaker adapters and connecters for the Porsche wiring loom, both of these were sourced from a company based in Yorkshire called SCR

IMG20230206124935

• Like 1

5 hours ago, daz05 said:

Yes but is it any good?

The Porsche Ask speakers used for the sound package plus system are pretty poor, but maybe used for there lightness.

Replacing the dash speakers really made a big difference, the mids not so much, the subs give a much much deeper bass.

IMG20230202180439

Sound proofing to the door is a must, the whole thing reverberated before and this caused the door handle to rattle, so I used around 45cmx60cm of Dynamat extreme on each door skin. I would have liked to have got more up around the door handle but didn't fancy taking all the air curtain off to get the inner panel off fully.

IMG20230202163518

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, daz05 said:

@Tony Danieldid the first one, tested....hmmm not much sound coming from here probably not going to make much difference.

How wrong was I, my music sounds so much better ! I think upgrading the centre speaker will be even better, any suggestions?

Usually people disconnect the centre channel speaker, but so far I have not touched it or even looked at it, I think it's a 4" speaker like the door mids but not sure what depth. Adding sound proofing to the doors would be a good step.

3 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

Usually people disconnect the centre channel speaker, but so far I have not touched it or even looked at it, I think it's a 4" speaker like the door mids but not sure what depth. Adding sound proofing to the doors would be a good step.

I can see why, I think it over powers everything so with the other speakers upgraded I guess it makes sense to disconnect it. I suppose I would rather it was upgraded and keep everything else as is. Either way pleased with this little mod.

I did the doors a long time ago mostly to stop the bass vibration.

Edited by daz05
  • Like 1

One Limitation to sound upgrading here is the ability to tune the frequencies to get the most out of the now increased range.up to Bose have fairly basic tone controls, this is where I chime in about about my new best friend. Mr12v wireless CarPlay upgrade. It’s got 15 way DSP equalisation which in the right hands can make a savage difference. I’d advise anyone whose gone to the trouble of spending and fitting new speakers to consider getting this CarPlay and also more importantly getting some one knowledgeable  to tune it properly.

1642240039844_480x480.jpg?v=1648284717

within the 15 band you can shift the scales as well. Proper stuff albeit dacs etc are not high end/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've found some plug and play mids and tried them out tonight, really good bigger impact than the tweeters for me, I think the centre speaker is too overwhelming for the tweeters so you don't get the full effect in my car. Considering disconnecting the centre speaker.

Anyway, Eton does BMW upgrade kits and Porsche is essentially using the same or very similar kit so these slot right into the doors.  I had to trim a piece of the connector plug ever so slightly but honestly no big deal so all fully reversible.

The Eton UG B100 are the ones I used. 👌

On 1/8/2023 at 8:45 PM, daz05 said:

Cars with sound package plus and above have it, centre of dash under grill.

So my car has Bose.  Can I still upgrade all these goodies in mine - door speakers etc - what about the amp/s?

Nope - Bose runs a completely different current flow (Ohms) You would need to replace all speakers, amp, and head unit.

Standard car is 4 ohm, Bose is 2.5 ohms generally. (household hi-fi is 8ohm. 

Dropping the ohms is an easy and cheap way to gain more sound for less power consumed.

Hope that helps