Drone box - which is best / least worst?

Tycho

18 minutes ago, ATM said:

My standard exhaust is quite loud so maybe I have a hole or leak upstream and this is why my boom box was ridiculously loud.

Standard exhaust isn't that loud unless internally modified a la Carnewal. Even changing the manifolds and cats for the cheap aftermarket ones doesn't make for a dramatically louder exhaust. 

The Top Gear option with the heatsheilds is horrible. I bought one brand new a few years ago and it drones so bad it made the car vibrate. I quietened it down with motor bike baffles and tried to convince myself it was OK, but in the end I threw the towel in and went back to OEM.

I almost ended up hating my car with it fitted...Best thing I ever did was get rid. I now love my car again🙂

1 hour ago, Tycho said:

Well, I went for the Gravity Performance exhaust & it should be delivered to my indie shortly.  I will post an update when I get the car back.

Good luck

We all know the 2.5 doesn't produce much noise anyway.

On 1/22/2023 at 12:49 PM, steve99 said:

I have an original 986 3.2 S rear silencer I need to get rid of. It's on eBay at the moment but I'd rather someone on here have it. Pretty good condition. Not sure if it would fit (yours is a 2.5 2.7?)? PM me if of interest. Located in Hampshire. 

Is it still an MOT pass example?

On 1/22/2023 at 12:49 PM, steve99 said:

I have an original 986 3.2 S rear silencer I need to get rid of. It's on eBay at the moment but I'd rather someone on here have it. Pretty good condition. Not sure if it would fit (yours is a 2.5 2.7?)? PM me if of interest. Located in Hampshire. 

Edited by charlieboy2608

On 1/24/2023 at 9:22 AM, ATM said:

My standard exhaust is quite loud so maybe I have a hole or leak upstream and this is why my boom box was ridiculously loud.

Just to update this I spent some time fiddling with the - things - which connect the u bends to the rear box.  Both were blowing slightly as I had fitted it badly.  I now believe my boom box was also fitted just as badly so it was probably blowing too.  The standard box now sounds lovely and quiet and so so civilised.  The younger crowd can insert the word boring here.  But I am not going to try the boom box again anytime soon.  Although I could obviously.

So I have a general question about the exhaust.  Not sure this is the best place for that but here goes.

Does the exhaust have any flex points or places where movement is allowed.  I assume it mounts to the engine with the manifolds but then connects up at the back and blots to a bracket under the boot.  So it is bolted to the engine and the car.  If the engine moves around then where does that movement or flex go in the exhaust? 

26 minutes ago, ATM said:

Just to update this I spent some time fiddling with the - things - which connect the u bends to the rear box.  

NO

I explained this wrong and cant edit - how annoying.

Just to update this I spent some time fiddling with the - things - which connect the u bends to the CATS.  

On a standard S exhaust there is the main bar hangar to the gearbox. This has rubber bushes in it. Then there are tab hangars on the cat pipes and these from memory also have run we bushes. 

7 minutes ago, edc said:

On a standard S exhaust there is the main bar hangar to the gearbox. This has rubber bushes in it. Then there are tab hangars on the cat pipes and these from memory also have run we bushes. 

Tab hangers on the cats connect to the back box, so all the movement is in the hanger for the back box or the rod hanger off the back box onto the bottom of the gear box.  This rod fits to the red arrow points labelled C in this guide.

Porsche Boxster Muffler Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Tab hangers on the cats connect to the back box, so all the movement is in the hanger for the back box or the rod hanger off the back box onto the bottom of the gear box.  This rod fits to the red arrow points labelled C in this guide.

Porsche Boxster Muffler Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

I see so you believe that this handles the flex?

Pic3.jpg

The yellow arrows have the bushes and therefore the flex, and there are two stud towards the bottom of the box that connect to the rod support I'm referring to.  You can see it clearly at 1:27 in this YT vid.  It makes the box a semi-stressed component from what I can tell.  The cat hangers are the D shaped loops of wire. 

4 hours ago, ATM said:

Does the exhaust have any flex points or places where movement is allowed.  I assume it mounts to the engine with the manifolds but then connects up at the back and blots to a bracket under the boot.  So it is bolted to the engine and the car.  If the engine moves around then where does that movement or flex go in the exhaust? 

Manifolds bolt to engine. 
Silencer bolts to rear of gearbox. 
Gearbox is bolted to engine. 

The whole exhaust system is mounted on the gearbox/engine assembly so the exhaust, engine & gearbox move as a single unit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, map said:

The whole exhaust system is mounted on the gearbox/engine assembly so the exhaust, engine & gearbox move as a single unit. 

Now that makes sense.  The whole thing can move around as one.  So the damper mentioned above is just to remove some vibrations.

16 minutes ago, map said:

So the bar across the top of the exhaust box is not fixed to the shell, only to the casting on the rear of the gearbox?  I guess the bushes are to reduce exhaust vibrations going into the gearbox.

7 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

So the bar across the top of the exhaust box is not fixed to the shell, only to the casting on the rear of the gearbox

Exactly

Maybe not to gearbox itself but some bracket - who cares

So it can and will all move around as one unit - bumper stays put obviously

I was super worried about my saggy engine and gearbox mounts thinking this situation would be doubly worse if the exhaust was bolted to the car - you see

I'm psyching myself up for the day my box starts blowing.  Can't help thinking I'm going to pay someone to do all the corroded studs and nuts and get manifolds done to at the same time.  Whatever it ain't going to be cheap when it needs doing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I'm psyching myself up for the day my box starts blowing.  Can't help thinking I'm going to pay someone to do all the corroded studs and nuts and get manifolds done to at the same time.  Whatever it ain't going to be cheap when it needs doing.

The box alone is not a difficult job.  Although the standard box is heavy and refitting it is tricky as you have to lift it up to the car while having your hands free to attach bolts.  So I was using my stomach to lift the box up so my hands were free to twiddle nuts.  It was not fun.  The drone box I removed weighs a lot less and that would be easier to lift into position.  It is smaller too so you have much better access to the nuts above.

41 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I'm advised by Precision Porsche that I can get the whole thing replaced for £2,300. I'll be doing that this summer.