Brake discs and pads

bandit_287

My car is tied into the OPC warranty so I have to use OEM parts but I’m wondering if it would be possible to use the OEM manufactured discs and pads but purchase them from a third party? I’m not sure who Porsche licence to make their 981 OEM discs and pads, maybe Sebro? Would the OEM Porsche disc have noticeable markings on them that they could distinguish from the third party supplied disc. I’m not in desperate need right now as the service and warranty renewal is not until October however the car will have about 35k on it my then and I’m sure they are going to say the brakes need replacing. If I’m going to have to use Porsche OEM discs I may buy them from the OPC in advance of the warranty renewal and have them fitted elsewhere to save their crazy labour cost. 

Certainly on the 987 there are visible differences with the disks (depending on what manufacturer you use). 

For what its worth - my OPC got within 50 quid of a respected local indy for supply and fit of genuine front disk/pads/shims/wear sensors/bolts/clips. I simply told them what I had been quoted and they came back with a revised price.

I think the safest ( from a preservation of the warrnty standpoint) is buy the bits from OPC and fit them yourself ( or get them fitted if thats your chosen route) 

36 minutes ago, Paul P said:

I think the safest ( from a preservation of the warrnty standpoint) is buy the bits from OPC and fit them yourself ( or get them fitted if thats your chosen route) 

Yeh I think that’s what I’ll do. Anybody know the current price of OPC brake discs and pads for the 981?

You need the pad sensors too FYI..

If it's under OPC warranty surely they also have access to what's been done?

it's a simple job to replace discs & pads..

Keep an eye on Euro Car Parts as I got a full set of Brembo pads for not much money at all a while ago & plan to replace the discs too at some point.

Design 911 worth a look for parts too.

If the pad sensors haven’t been tripped then they can be re-used but they’re pretty cheap so yes it’s best practice to change them too. As long as the car is as Porsche intended it doesn’t matter who’s fitted the parts to keep the warranty integrity. Unfortunately i’ll have to buy the parts from the OPC not ECP as they’ll probably notice the non OEM parts during the service in October and reject the warranty renewal. 

21 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

If the pad sensors haven’t been tripped then they can be re-used but they’re pretty cheap so yes it’s best practice to change them too. As long as the car is as Porsche intended it doesn’t matter who’s fitted the parts to keep the warranty integrity. Unfortunately i’ll have to buy the parts from the OPC not ECP as they’ll probably notice the non OEM parts during the service in October and reject the warranty renewal. 

You may be lucky and not damage them, personally I'd just buy new ones for the few £'s they cost.

On 2/2/2023 at 3:10 PM, bandit_287 said:

I didn't manage to save any of the wear sensors on my last pad change they all were very well bonded in. I replaced pads, discs and sensors all bought from ECP and then had a full service at an OPC followed by warranty renewal. The money I saved paid for 2 years Porsche assist👍.

• Like 1

There seems to be a big disparity on wear sensor prices, most places seem to sell a single sensor per caliper, I think OEM is one sensor per pad. Wonder if Porsche would notice (or care), especially given they don't warranty pads and discs anyway?

23 hours ago, daz05 said:

Very easy you can push them out with the old pads inside.

1 hour ago, andygo said:

There seems to be a big disparity on wear sensor prices, most places seem to sell a single sensor per caliper, I think OEM is one sensor per pad. Wonder if Porsche would notice (or care), especially given they don't warranty pads and discs anyway?

Parts cat shows one single sensor per corner.  The 9x6 and 9x7 have a double sensor that connects to each pad at each corner.  

Thats odd, the old front pads had 1 sensor per pad. Thats good though as you can get single sensor units a lot cheaper from Eurocarparts.

Its a moot point for me as I have canned the sensors off anyway.  :)

On 2/4/2023 at 8:41 AM, daz05 said:

For the rear it is possible to manually wind back the electronic handbrake by taking it apart like any VW but the simplest way is to get the Carista obd and app on your phone it can do it for about £15.

Just a quick question, does this actually need doing, just watched one of the Jeff Richardson videos, and he just pulls off the disc, and puts back on when demonstrating disc removal. Only time i imagine a problem if their is wear in the inside of drum , causing pads to snag on edge. ??

On 2/4/2023 at 1:31 PM, andygo said:

Thats odd, the old front pads had 1 sensor per pad. Thats good though as you can get single sensor units a lot cheaper from Eurocarparts.

Its a moot point for me as I have canned the sensors off anyway.  :)

I was on a track day a few years ago @ Castle Combe and my pad sensor warning came on.  Good job too as I was out of pad material to the point of being really risky, so canned the rest of the day.

If it were me I'd definitely keep the sensors & new ones at that.

Just now, GTSMarky said:

I was on a track day a few years ago @ Castle Combe and my pad sensor warning came on.  Good job too as I was out of pad material to the point of being really risky, so canned the rest of the day.

If it were me I'd definitely keep the sensors & new ones at that.

Bad planning on my behalf as I planned to change the pads after that track day knowing they were low, just didn't look at them well enough in advance so a lesson learnt.

9 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

Bad planning on my behalf as I planned to change the pads after that track day knowing they were low, just didn't look at them well enough in advance so a lesson learnt.

I dont think I have ever got down to the wear sensors as I always tend to keep an eye on my pads and if Im doing a track day always pop new pads in regardless. Most of the time the pads I tend to use dont have cutouts for wear sensors anyway.

(Apologies for the holier than thou tone, not meant to be!)

Just recently changed my discs & pads all round,went to 4 garages for a price

1st local VW/Porsche - £1600

2nd local garage in Somerton - £1400

3rd garage - never got back to me 

4th garage - National Tyres in Street - £610 fitted reused sensor cables,Pagid discs & pads all round 😀

• Like 1