Bi-xenon headlight upgrade

Roddy

I have bi-xenon on my 987.2 and they are far from rubbish. Not quite as bright as my 2015 BMW, but not far off.

Something sounds wrong, have you replaced the bulbs as they do deteriorate with time?

If you have no headlight washer nipples, yours are not OEM xenons. And probably rubbish. 
If you have washers and you see the levelling in 3 seconds when you switch them on, they are OEM, and as above, normally not rubbish. 

Roddy please can you change your My Ride to 987.1 because it still says 986 and it's a bit confusing!

If you are used to brand new matrix then yes that might explain why you think the 15 year old 987 xenons aren't great.

But as above, apparently xenon bulbs deteriorate over time, so maybe if yours are original you might gain a bit by renewing them. (I don't know how much you gain, a little or a lot.)

57 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Roddy please can you change your My Ride to 987.1 because it still says 986 and it's a bit confusing!

If you are used to brand new matrix then yes that might explain why you think the 15 year old 987 xenons aren't great.

But as above, apparently xenon bulbs deteriorate over time, so maybe if yours are original you might gain a bit by renewing them. (I don't know how much you gain, a little or a lot.)

My Ride corrected 👍

41 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Doesn't do the lights justice but here is my 987.1. If you think Bi Xenon are bad then try standard lights, they are hideous !

IMG_2048

Your 987.1 looks great. I’ve just swopped my wheels on my Atlas Grey to the same as you have👍

• Like 1

I think Porsche sell the Phillips ones as their "parts" - but I would go with a known brand - from memory they are not cheap......

One other thing to check ( and this happened on my 1st 987) was that previous owner had flicked the switch inside the headlights to the non dazzling for "Europe"  position - basically masking off the nearside flick up that low beam has, and hadn't flocked it back - doesn't change the brightness, but does make them less useful on low beam.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/3/2023 at 4:34 AM, Paul P said:

I think Porsche sell the Phillips ones as their "parts" - but I would go with a known brand - from memory they are not cheap......

One other thing to check ( and this happened on my 1st 987) was that previous owner had flicked the switch inside the headlights to the non dazzling for "Europe"  position - basically masking off the nearside flick up that low beam has, and hadn't flocked it back - doesn't change the brightness, but does make them less useful on low beam.

Could you elaborate on this? Wondering if this is why my low beams on a US 987.1 don't shoot nearly as far as I want them too

22 minutes ago, c1n3ma said:

Could you elaborate on this? Wondering if this is why my low beams on a US 987.1 don't shoot nearly as far as I want them too

In uk spec cars there is a lever in each headlight shell (have to remove them to get to it ) it’s a simple mechanical up down arrangement.  Labeled weirdly (something like L and T).  Both halogen and xenon have them but in different locations.  

effect is to mask the drivers side flip “up” on the inside edge - if you are on the other side of the road (like when we cross the channel into Europe) it prevents dazzle.  I wouldn’t it reduces range more ranges the pattern ) 

i think there is a write up on the Porsche club GB site.  Let me dig out the links 

EDIT - they appear to have updated the site - and in the process lost the most useful info - there's a fe other posts around - ignore all the "PDLS" discussions - it's the same ( lever is in the xenon place for pdls ) .

Its in the handbook for UK spec cars - I don't have an electonic copy - sorry

Edited by Paul P

42 minutes ago, Paul P said:

In uk spec cars there is a lever in each headlight shell (have to remove them to get to it ) it’s a simple mechanical up down arrangement.  Labeled weirdly (something like L and T).  Both halogen and xenon have them but in different locations.  

effect is to mask the drivers side flip “up” on the inside edge - if you are on the other side of the road (like when we cross the channel into Europe) it prevents dazzle.  I wouldn’t it reduces range more ranges the pattern ) 

i think there is a write up on the Porsche club GB site.  Let me dig out the links 

EDIT - they appear to have updated the site - and in the process lost the most useful info - there's a fe other posts around - ignore all the "PDLS" discussions - it's the same ( lever is in the xenon place for pdls ) .

Its in the handbook for UK spec cars - I don't have an electonic copy - sorry

This help ? See post 7

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/threads/adjusting-headlights-for-driving-on-the-right.151427/#post-956201

1 minute ago, iborguk said:

A bit - there was a blow by blow - 987.1 and 987.2 Halogen and Bi-Xenon howto - but since its PCGB thats been moved to make room for more "the captain of the club and the board of the members and the handstand of the flagpole, hats in the clubhouse, recently retired middle management excel spreadsheet formality, look at us nonsense, is this a golf club or what...." content.

Shame - it genuinely was the most useful thing I have ever seen on any of the forums there.