Joyeauto sudden loss of power

Bayernlarge

Hi all,

I bought and installed a Joyeauto kit for my 987.2 over 18 months ago and it's been great. Until today that is.

I was driving along, using Google Maps and listening to Spotify when it just cut out.

It was (maybe) ay higher volume than usual, and I'd just had the car washed. But it was working fine.

It looks like it is not receiving power. Usually it has a light come on on the box (blue flashing I think) but now nothing. I tried plugging the plug that goes in the fuse box into some other unused sockets, but no joy. It isn't showing up in the Bluetooth menu on my phone, not will it work when plugged into the car via the car's USB (rather than wirelessly connecting).

I've sent a message to Joyeauto, but don't hold out much hope of getting any useful help.

Anyone here got any ideas? @Withy @daz05 I know you've had quite a bit of experience with these units as your write-ups and videos helped no end when I was installing.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Tim

Thanks @daz05

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what do you mean by check the actual fuse?

Do you mean the double spade connector that plugs into the fuse box? The one with the wire coming from it that powers the Joyeauto box.

Does that have a breaker that could have gone?

If so, how would I replace that? It would need the cable attaching to a new piece. 

Thanks again.

Hmm, that sounds a bit odd.  What Daz said though - need to see if the fuse slot you are using actually is providing power to the joyeauto unit. Using unused slots probably won't help if they are "blanks" but another slot in the fusebox which you know is working would be my next course of action.  Are any other items in the car not powering up?

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=933166 there is a pic of the fuses in a 987.2

Otherwise remove the PCM and check that connections haven't dislodged somehow

• Thanks 1

Update:

I looked at the fused power plug for the Joyeauto and it looks fine (see photo)

I also tried plugging it into other sockets in the fuse box that I know are live (because the things they usually control are working).

Still no power / blue flashing light on the Joyeauto box. Pity, as that would have been a pretty easy fix.

I sent the photo to Joyeauto and they sent it back with the red lines/arrow and this instruction: 'cut the fuse, and connect the cable with acc port directly'

I'm reluctant to cut the fuse as it looks fine to me. I also don't know what they mean by 'connect the cable with acc port directly'

Does this mean attach a single spade connector and plug it into a socket in the fuse box? Those sockets receive the double spade fuse connectors, but is there a live / 'hot' side that I should plug into?

If I do this, and it works, I guess that proves the fuse has blown (even though it clearly doest look like it has). If that's the case, should I try to attach a new double spade fused plug? Or attach an inline fuse? If so what fuse rating?

I'm very sceptical about any of this solving the problem as the fuse looks fine and I'm plugging it into sockets I know work.

I should probably take the PCM out and check the connections behind it before snipping off the fused plug. It's just a pain to do and will need some dedicated time. I'll be surprised if that's where the fault lies. I suspect it's the Joyeauto box that has blown.

Any thoughts or advice before I take the dash apart again?

Thanks, Tim

r7rahKx.png

2 hours ago, BBB said:

If you have a multimeter, check the resistance across the two pins of that fuse, it should read zero. Fuses can look intact but be broken. 

Good idea @BBB I have a multimeter, so I’ll give that a go. 
I want to try everything before taking the PCM out again because it’s a pain. 

They are saying you could tap into a 12v feed that works off the ignition (accessory position). I wouldn't do that because you have tested the fuse and it's ok

The fact your box is flashing blue suggests it is receiving power so now I'm thinking you have a problem elsewhere but are you sure the fuse is ok? I'm no spark but I thought you have some resistance on the multimeter similar to when touching points together ?

39 minutes ago, daz05 said:

They are saying you could tap into a 12v feed that works off the ignition (accessory position). I wouldn't do that because you have tested the fuse and it's ok

The fact your box is flashing blue suggests it is receiving power so now I'm thinking you have a problem elsewhere but are you sure the fuse is ok? I'm no spark but I thought you have some resistance on the multimeter similar to when touching points together ?

@daz05 Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I do not have a blue flashing light on the Joyeauto box, so it is not receiving power.

I was also unsure of what the multimeter should be reading, so double-checked using the continuity setting and got a clear beep (like you do when you touch the probes together). So I know for sure that the fuse is fine.

I realise they are saying to tap into a 12v feed that works off the ignition in the accessory position - I just don't know how to do that. In any case, there's no point, because I know the fuse is good and I've tested it in slots which I know are receiving power.

I'll take the PCM out of the dash to check the connections at the back (and inside I suppose) when I get a chance. If they are all good, then I guess something electronic has gone - either in the Joyeauto box, or on the PCBs that came with it.

Edited by Bayernlarge

Sounds like PCM needs to come out and check connections.  Was looking here to see if I could remember how the power is fed from fuse box to harness to the unit, but it's not too clear https://www.joyeauto.com/porsche-pcm3-1-cayenne-panamera-macan-boxster-911-wifi-wireless-apple-carplay-solution/ and my memory doesn't serve me well.  Could just be that something is dislodged - the mess of cables where the harness block gets added too can be very tight.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to removing my PCM 3.0 today to check the connections at the back. Unfortunately, no amount of wiggling, disconnecting and reconnecting resulted in power to the Joyeauto box.

Joyeauto customer service have said I need a new board. They wouldn't send one for free as I've had it for just under 2 years and the warranty is only 1 year. I guess if I'd bought it in Europe I could have cited the EU 2-year minimum warranty, but that's what you get for buying from AliExpress I suppose...

They quoted $20 plus $25 shipping, but I just bought one for about £10 including UK tax and shipping. Ali must have had a promo on.

I'm not terribly hopeful that this will fix the issue, but for about a tenner, it's worth a try. Just got to wait the 30-odd days quoted for shipping now.

I'll post another update when I've received and tried it, as it might be useful for others on here.

• 1 month later...

So after a long hiatus - here's an update.

I got a replacement board from Joyeauto for $20 and free (slow) shipping. Eventually, it arrived and I removed the PCM, inserted the new board, plugged it all in again and...

Nothing. Still no power to the box (no blue flashing light)

While I had it all apart I used a multimeter to check the spade connector that goes into the fuse box (again) and also to check continuity all the way from the spade connector to the plug that goes into the box. This showed that the connection from a tested and working socket in the fuse box, all the way to the Joyeauto box was fine.

So I got back in touch with Joyeauto, which is a bit painful. Due to the time difference, it's one message every 24 hours and theirs are in rather broken English, often necessitating further clarifications and delays. In fairness, their English is a heck of a lot better than my Mandarin (non-existent).

After politely, but firmly pushing back against all their suggestions (try a different fuse socket, cut the spade connector off and wire it in directly, etc, etc) plus explaining all the troubleshooting I'd performed, they agreed to send me a new box. I just needed to send them my non-working one back first, which was fair enough.

It cost me under a tenner to send to China using Evri - who I hate, but they were less than a third of the price of the other big couriers. It was a bit nerve-wracking as Joyeauto told me to only declare the box as worth $20 - so they didn't need to pay import duty, presumably. That meant if it got lost I'd end up with nothing.

After another few weeks, today the package arrived. Not just the box either - a whole new kit including cables and board.

I'd left the board in the PCM and the cables in place, so all I needed to do was plug the new box in and...

It works. Happy days. Just got to hope this one lasts longer than the last one.

Sorry that was a rather long write-up, but I thought I'd finish the story in case anyone else experiences a sudden, complete loss of power to the box after more than the 1-year warranty. If you do, don't give up on Joyeauto - I might have been lucky to get a replacement, but a bit of persistence and patience paid off.