981 buying advice.

Larz2000

It’s difficult to know what fair value is at the mo’ , prices have been all over the place since Buttercup.  I’ve certainly seen non S models in the 25-29 range in the past (non CAT).   The above is a decently specced  S from a dealer. You would expect a base private sale to be starting mid 20s? 

1 hour ago, Patt said:

that's £8k over his target budget. 

Some peeps either need to buy a budget spec + high miles car or aim their sights and a more realistic car.

It's all very well to suggest that buyers should compromise on the spec ... before @iborguk moved that car to the thread where he'd intended to post it, it was also missing a rather important element of the desired spec for this thread's OP - the roof :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Jon61 said:

It's all very well to suggest that buyers should compromise on the spec ... before @iborguk moved that car to the thread where he'd intended to post it, it was also missing a rather important element of the desired spec for this thread's OP - the roof :laugh:

Yes ;)

I have to echo the comments about snow. My 986 was absolutely hopeless the one time I had to drive on it, genuinely scary (Michelin PS). I now have a 987 PDK and it equally hopeless pulling away on a loose surface so I would agree with the earlier comments that if you definitely intend to drive on snow, buy a manual and put winter tyres on.

my 981 is PDK - nothing to it.  Although in real snow (ie over 1") I would recommend switching off the traction control else the computers will literally slow you to a stop.

3 minutes ago, Patt said:

my 981 is PDK - nothing to it.  Although in real snow (ie over 1") I would recommend switching off the traction control else the computers will literally slow you to a stop.

I must try that on gravel and grass, mines a PITA

4 minutes ago, Patt said:

I was driving down M20 last winter and I was down to 40mph before I realised I'd pressed the PSE button , rather than the traction control 🙄

I know snow has sound deadening properties but really? 🙄

• Haha 1

Hi gentlemen, thank you so much for all the info. I've driven a Boxster 987.1 2.7 5 speed. My father in law lets me drive his on the Nurburgring as he lives close. So its been an aspirational car for some years now.

I'm entirely happy with 2.7 and genuinely don't need 3.4. My road to work consists of a very twisty, undulating, gorgeoes 12 miles, then an often mundane cruise for another 18 miles. Currently driving a 2.0 mx5 which is as quick as I need on the roads I travel...although there are some nice corners I'd love to see how much more quickly they could be taken. 

I rarely get the roof down and maintaining a cloth roof in a damp Scottish climate isn't my idea of fun.

Heated seats are the number one choice of option I look for. Manual is desired (old habits die hard), but, I'm warming to the notion of PDK....only because I can have some direct control in changing up and down gears. And it sounds like traction control off can help in winter - as well as winter tyres

I didn't realise there was 2(?) options for headlights, and with 10 year old cars, I do appreciate I'm likely to be in the dark (literally) with lower spec lamps.

So yes, thanks again for all the helpful advice. I really do appreciate it.👍

13 hours ago, Larz2000 said:

Hi gentlemen, thank you so much for all the info. I've driven a Boxster 987.1 2.7 5 speed. My father in law lets me drive his on the Nurburgring as he lives close. So its been an aspirational car for some years now.

I'm entirely happy with 2.7 and genuinely don't need 3.4. My road to work consists of a very twisty, undulating, gorgeoes 12 miles, then an often mundane cruise for another 18 miles. Currently driving a 2.0 mx5 which is as quick as I need on the roads I travel...although there are some nice corners I'd love to see how much more quickly they could be taken. 

I rarely get the roof down and maintaining a cloth roof in a damp Scottish climate isn't my idea of fun.

Heated seats are the number one choice of option I look for. Manual is desired (old habits die hard), but, I'm warming to the notion of PDK....only because I can have some direct control in changing up and down gears. And it sounds like traction control off can help in winter - as well as winter tyres

I didn't realise there was 2(?) options for headlights, and with 10 year old cars, I do appreciate I'm likely to be in the dark (literally) with lower spec lamps.

You won’t be missing out with the 2.7.  Having been on a couple of “spirited” runs with others, including S models and even up to the 4.0 I definitely wasn’t holding anyone up and no-one pulling away from me as I’d been expecting. Real world country lanes and conditions are a great leveller.

And in many ways it can be more rewarding revving it out but that’s only what I’ve read from others, I’ve only driven a 718 as an S and the 986S so can’t comment on the 3.4 directly.

The PDK also is a good box, I hadn’t had a flappy paddle before this car so wanted to give it a try.  Had tried an ‘auto’ in a Vantage but that was a robotised manual, doesn’t function at all as an auto. For me the 981 is a dual purpose car, it’s not the most razor sharp sportscar but it’s more than most people who aren’t Road Gods need + it’s a practical cross-continent cruiser. The PDK amplifies that as the 90% off the time you’re not “on it” you can just have it in auto, remove that part of brain from the game and cruise, or shuffle in traffic.

With that said, my next one would likely be a 3.4, and possibly a manual. Just because more=more and I don’t buy the same thing twice.  Well, apart from four Elises and three Minis - but they were different in ways other than the colour 😉

14 hours ago, Larz2000 said:

They are all plenty fast enough, I'd suggest go drive a few and see what you like re options.

Ignore the video headline , just shows some options and prep…skip the annoying bit with the techno beat !

Edited by iborguk