Buy or Avoid? 02 986 S

Dettagliomd

Just been to see a nice 2002 986s. Car is generally tidy and has a new roof with rear glass, good tyres, good brakes, clean bodywork, replaced suspension all round etc. In terms of price for the car we are at around £3750. Car has just under 160k and has dealer stamps up to 2020 - owner serviced himself (he says) this year.

2 issues. 

Main issue is strong smell of coolant in the car. Aux belt is squeaking every now and then in low gears at low speed only and my suspicion is the water pump needs replacing. I know the cost of the part but not the labour. No coolant on garage floor but owner admitted he’d had to add 1.5l of coolant before I turned up. 

The drivers window does not drop when the door is opened. Believe this is a simple sensor/switch. No idea of part/labour cost. 

can anyone advise on likely costs? I’ll be using a good independent. I’m based in Kent. 

cheers. 

1 minute ago, Dettagliomd said:

Cheers. I appreciate that. But I like this car. Just looking for a steer on costs as I’m sure others have addressed these issues. 

Fair play.

Driver's window could be a Microswitch.

Recent water pump discussion here, will depend on what the Indy uses obvs but ballpark re the part...

• Like 1

Coolant smell could well be that the coolant reservoir is leaking in to the trunk - water would not show at the trunk carpet, but under the trunk subfloor panel against the metal floor. The coolant reservoir is approx 500€ and the work is fairly fiddly to do, so I'd assume costly if not done by your self.

• Like 2

Porsche are not too bad as 986 benefits from historic status. I checked the trunk and it was dry as a bone. Did not check trunk subfloor panel. 

really appreciate all the answers and information. Think. I’ll push the price a little and take it on the chin. It’s a really nice car. 

Just now, Dettagliomd said:

Porsche are not too bad as 986 benefits from historic status. I checked the trunk and it was dry as a bone. Did not check trunk subfloor panel. 

really appreciate all the answers and information. Think. I’ll push the price a little and take it on the chin. It’s a really nice car. 

Sounds to me like you’ve mentally bought it. Good luck , hope it’s what you want it to be :)

• Like 1

Cars are usually cheap for a reason and any 20 year-old car you don't know will be a gamble. Assess the owner as carefully as the car!
At £3750 it's priced to sell, could be ok and a cheap car if it's easy to fix, but with 160,000 miles it's already had a good run. 

Not one I'd want to hand over to an Indy straight after buying it to put right expecting it just to need a pump. His bill could easily grow to the point where you will have spent more than buying a 'more saleable' car with a lot less miles on the clock.

Only you know how much you want that particular car. If you really want it, point out everything you see is wrong, how much you think it will cost to put right and offer him what you are willing to pay for it. 

Bet he wants your money more than you want his car.

• Thanks 1

I offered £3250 but think coolant tank needs replacing too. So another £500. on balance I think I’d rather spend the extra £ and get a well sorted one. My instinct is a) the mileage is very high and b) the car has been looked after but not loved. On that basis and with the benefit of everyone’s kind input, I’m out. I have found a nice car for around £10k and that what I’m going to buy. Cheers everybody. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dettagliomd said:

I offered £3250 but think coolant tank needs replacing too. So another £500. on balance I think I’d rather spend the extra £ and get a well sorted one. My instinct is a) the mileage is very high and b) the car has been looked after but not loved. On that basis and with the benefit of everyone’s kind input, I’m out. I have found a nice car for around £10k and that what I’m going to buy. Cheers everybody. 

Probably a good decision, it would be irritating to end up spending £££ on it and it still only being worth £4K because of the mileage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dettagliomd said:

I offered £3250 but think coolant tank needs replacing too. So another £500. on balance I think I’d rather spend the extra £ and get a well sorted one.  

I have found a nice car for around £10k and that what I’m going to buy. 

So glad that we’ve saved you money :) 

• Haha 3