Removing my gear stick from its shaft...

fizz

I'm looking to change the stock shifter to a 987 one I got from @bally4563. (Cheers mate)

So ive seen a couple of vids where they either have a screw at the neck of the stick which would have been easy but mine doesnt have that sadly. 

Some say twist and lift and others say pull it up with force. Any tips as to which would work best on my 03 S? 

4 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Pull.  But don't smack yourself in the face when it does come free!

One of the youtube vids I watched (brit based in the USA) said he had to put the roof down and stand on the seats for leverage! 

Lift the gaiter off and on the bottom of the knob ( ooh misses!! ) there is a locking bush turn it 90 degrees and then pull making certain that you are not perched within head area !! 

12 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Lift the gaiter off and on the bottom of the knob ( ooh misses!! ) there is a locking bush turn it 90 degrees and then pull making certain that you are not perched within head area !! 

Either direction? 

8 minutes ago, eob said:

I like him. He laughs at his own abilities but at least he has the balls to wrench unlike me.

It's people like him that should inspire you to start some smaller jobs. 👍

Our cars are not worth that much so the risk is minimal when it comes to financial aspect. 

I'm enjoying the smaller jobs and slowing building my tool kit up. Bought a Makita set and I bloody love it! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fizz said:

It's people like him that should inspire you to start some smaller jobs. 👍

Our cars are not worth that much so the risk is minimal when it comes to financial aspect. 

I'm enjoying the smaller jobs and slowing building my tool kit up. Bought a Makita set and I bloody love it! 

I'm a cleaning buff, have always been into detailing my cars. I've just bought a set of axle stands, but that was more for wheels off cleaning.

I do fancy tackling my own oil changes as I intend to drop the oil every 6 months to try and keep the dreaded bore score at bay.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eob said:

I'm a cleaning buff, have always been into detailing my cars. I've just bought a set of axle stands, but that was more for wheels off cleaning.

I do fancy tackling my own oil changes as I intend to drop the oil every 6 months to try and keep the dreaded bore score at bay.

Feel free to test out ya products on my car if ya ever in west Yorkshire. 😅

I wish I had a garage to work in and detail my car properly so don't have to wait till we get a full dry day. 

6 hours ago, eob said:

Not sure oil changes every 6 months will help with bore score.  It is more likely allowing the engine to warm up properly before driving it hard and a low temp thermostat will and will be less onerous on the wallet in the long run than using that much oil .

I do a lot of spannering myself, but I do book it into my indy once a year for oil change and an inspection to make sure I'm keeping on top of things and so an expert sees it regularly.  Oil changes can be messy to do at home and then you have to get rid of the waste oil.

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2023 at 2:12 PM, bally4563 said:

z4hDTiY.jpg

Locking Bush?

46 minutes ago, fizz said:

Ignore me..brute force worked! 

Ah !! It’s different on a 987, and I remembered from 986 days it was just brute force, well done if you have managed to keep your teeth in!!!

2 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Ah !! It’s different on a 987, and I remembered from 986 days it was just brute force, well done if you have managed to keep your teeth in!!!

Roof was open lol... 

What's this brown connector for? Presume an option my car doesn't have? 

j9tZ067.jpg

41 minutes ago, fizz said:

Roof was open lol... 

What's this brown connector for? Presume an option my car doesn't have? 

j9tZ067.jpg

If you removed the console and didn’t disconnect it. It could be the illumination to the ash tray or the switch on the cubby hole. 😬

35 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

If you removed the console and didn’t disconnect it. It could be the illumination to the ash tray or the switch on the cubby hole. 😬

Ashtray was a different connector and I've just alarmed the car and no extra beeps? 

2 minutes ago, fizz said:

Ashtray was a different connector and I've just alarmed the car and no extra beeps? 

Did you disconnect the cubby hole switch? I know I had to take my console out again as the switch had moved and the alarm thought it was open. Or, as you say, a cable for something you don’t have. I cannot remember having a spare cable. But I am a bit of a goldfish. 🤪

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

Did you disconnect the cubby hole switch? I know I had to take my console out again as the switch had moved and the alarm thought it was open. Or, as you say, a cable for something you don’t have. I cannot remember having a spare cable. But I am a bit of a goldfish. 🤪

Nope didn't have to remove any connector to the cubby hole... and the alarm didn't give me a double beep when it was armed. I'll test it next time I'm outside. I'll leave the cubby section open and turn the alarm on and see what happens.  👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fizz said:

Nope didn't have to remove any connector to the cubby hole... and the alarm didn't give me a double beep when it was armed. I'll test it next time I'm outside. I'll leave the cubby section open and turn the alarm on and see what happens.  👍

Maybe it is the whole switch that has been forced closed. I had to dab a bit of superglue on to keep the little micro switch in the console. Not really needed. 🤙🏻

5 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

And your thoughts?

So far so good... feels nice and notchy from 1st to 3rd especially and way better improvement over the 986. I noticed 2nd to 3rd can't be a bit sticky when cold like the old 986 was sticky into 2nd but clears very quickly as it warms up. 

Would be interesting to try another short shift to see how it compares but I'm deffo happy with the purchase and it's staying in. 👍

Cheers again mate.