Wind Deflector fitting

JML Cumbria

I did this retro fit to my previous 981. Very simple to do - pretty sure I found a guide online, but it is a case of using trim tools to prize apart the plastic rollover covers then remove the blanking strip, install the new plastic wind deflector guide using the screws that will already be in the holes under the blanking strip. Once the new guide is in place simply pop the rollover covers back together and slot in the wind deflector. This really should have been standard kit!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Madlil said:

I did this retro fit to my previous 981. Very simple to do - pretty sure I found a guide online, but it is a case of using trim tools to prize apart the plastic rollover covers then remove the blanking strip, install the new plastic wind deflector guide using the screws that will already be in the holes under the blanking strip. Once the new guide is in place simply pop the rollover covers back together and slot in the wind deflector. This really should have been standard kit!

So the voice of retrofit experience. Thanks for sharing.

Probably about time somebody shares that the wind deflector is pretty average anyway 🤣.. I'm comparing that to the  S2000 I used to own.

You'll get the parts you need at the parts desk, I would think for far less than £250. You'll pick up a deflector on eBay or try the clear one I posted on here the other week.

Edited by daz05

Well, that turned out to be almost embarrassingly easy

For anyone else who might come across this thread with the same problem here’s a summary 

Apart from the wind deflector itself of which there are many options on eBay, there are only two parts needed - a track that clips and bolts between the rollover bars and to insert into that a guide for the deflector itself. 

Although every Porsche main dealer I spoke to (4 in all) told me they wouldn’t retro fit the deflector the guy at South Lakes Porsche said he would order the parts for me but I would have to find someone to fit them. They would have come to about £190, not including the deflector itself. They are also available from the States at https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/pk981wsinsert.html as someone kindly posted above - by the time you’ve paid postage and import duty it would work out about the same

BUT I managed to find the parts from a breaker (for much less than that and including the deflector, the rollover bars and the rollover bar covers). This actually was a bonus as well as money saving as in dismantling the parts I needed I could see exactly how it went. 

Best guide as posted above is here https://www.pff.de/thread/2747766-anleitung-demontage-der-verkleidung-ueberrollbuegel/ - pictures 1 2 and 3 show all you need to know. The video, while interesting, is far too involved for this job and doesn’t really address the deflector  

Good investment was the trim tool set (thanks Patt) The blanking strip on my deflectorless car just popped out, and below that were 4 T20 bolts already in place - holding the roll bar covers. Took those out, slipped the track in… just needed to pop the clip on one side of the roll bar cover to get both ends in. Clipped the roll bar cover back,  Put the T20 bolts back in, now holding both the roll bar trim and the deflector track, the deflector guide just pushed into the tracks dead easy… and Robert is your Mother’s Brother. 

As I said, almost embarrassingly easy - most difficult job was locating the parts. I can’t imagine why Porsche say it can’t be retrofitted - there is nothing to compromise the integrity of the car, you don’t have to touch the rollover bars…

A big thank you to everyone who chipped in on this for your advice and encouragement- I really appreciate it. 

Anyone want a 981 rollover bar assembly, complete with black covers and a blanking strip for the deflector?😜

Edited by JML Cumbria
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JML Cumbria said:

Well, that turned out to be almost embarrassingly easy

For anyone else who might come across this thread with the same problem here’s a summary 

Apart from the wind deflector itself of which there are many after here are only two parts needed - a track that clips and bolts between the rollover bars and to insert into that a guide for the deflector itself. 

Although every Porsche main dealer I spoke to (4 in all) told me they wouldn’t retro fit the deflector the guy at South Lakes Porsche said he would order the parts for me but I would have to find someone to fit them. They would have come to about £190, not including the deflector itself. They are also available from the States at https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/pk981wsinsert.html as someone kindly posted above - by the time you’ve paid postage and import duty it would work out about the same

BUT I managed to find the parts from a breaker (for much less than that and including the deflector, the rollover bars and the rollover bar covers). This actually was a bonus as well as money saving as in dismantling the parts I needed I could see exactly how it went. 

Best guide as posted above is here https://www.pff.de/thread/2747766-anleitung-demontage-der-verkleidung-ueberrollbuegel/ - pictures 1 2 and 3 show all you need to know. The video, while interesting, is far too involved for this job and doesn’t really address the deflector  

Good investment was the trim tool set (thanks Patt) The blanking strip on my deflectorless car just popped out, and below that were 4 T20 bolts already in place - holding the roll bar covers. Took those out, slipped the track in… just needed to pop the clip on one side of the roll bar cover to get both ends in. Clipped the roll bar cover back,  Put the T20 bolts back in, now holding both the roll bar trim and the deflector track, the deflector guide just pushed into the tracks dead easy… and Robert is your Mother’s Brother. 

As I said, almost embarrassingly easy - most difficult job was locating the parts. I can’t imagine why Porsche say it can’t be retrofitted - there is nothing to compromise the integrity of the car, you don’t have to touch the rollover bars…

A big thank you to everyone who chipped in on this for your advice and encouragement- I really appreciate it. 

Anyone want a 981 rollover bar assembly, complete with black covers and a blanking strip for the deflector?😜

Result!

• Thanks 2

As everyone, I’d love to know why those guys refused to fit, or even cooperate. Either they’re badly informed, assuming the mounting points aren’t there, or there is some weird liability risk. Can you get back to one or two of them and show what you did, see their reaction?

Did you get a print of your car’s original spec? Did it have a wind deflector at purchase?

if not, I would like to think the techies assumed there were no mounting holes, they might be interested to learn the holes were there. 

No idea why they wouldn’t fit - but it was unanimous!

There was no wind deflector at purchase - as someone here said, bad advice to the original purchaser… they were able to afford upgraded sound system, but saved on the deflector??? But the fixing points for the deflector mounting are there anyway - the bolts are necessary to hold the roll over bar covers in place whether the deflector is fitted or not. It’s a mystery. 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, MadeInGarforth said:

Oooo! Wind deflectors... I make those..! 
Three basic classes: Standard, Sunday & Ultimate
You can read all about them here: Porsche Wind Deflectors – Made.In.Garforth (madeingarforth.com)

Yup - ordered, and hope to have early next week - I’ll post a review when I’ve got it fitted!

Received and fitted. I’ve got the standard version, it fits perfectly, crystal clear and no flexing at speed. I’m delighted with it, certainly much better rear  vision than the official mesh. I got good advice from MadeinGarforth too.

Well, there’s full circle, from no fittings for a deflector to satisfied customer! Thanks to you all for the trouble you took to give advice 

Cheers, John

• Like 1

Just got one of the 10mm thick ones, fits easier than the OEM mesh, looks good.

Found the mesh made headlights in the rear view worse, so will be interesting to see if it helps the next time I drive at night.

Cheers

Kevin 

• 9 months later...

Despite others having no luck getting OPC's to retro fit a wind deflector, Porsche Newcastle ordered the parts and fitted the bracket, trim and deflector for me today. Excellent service as usual from them. The total cost excluding the deflector itself which I bought from Made in Garforth was £282 which included 45 minutes of labour. They also gave me 10% off parts and labour as a member of PCGB and did a complimentary health check and valet. I'm absolutely delighted with the finished product (see photo below) and can't wait to try it with the roof down when it finally stops raining!

Deflector.jpg