Clutch switch replacement - how to?

Angus76

I’ve had the intermittent depress clutch flash up before starting even when I’ve depressed the clutch pedal.

The clutch switch seems the most likely culprit!

it’s pretty cramped under there - ducting in the way etc.

Any good methods on how to do it appreciated! 

Thanks! 

19 hours ago, Angus76 said:

I’ve had the intermittent depress clutch flash up before starting even when I’ve depressed the clutch pedal.

The clutch switch seems the most likely culprit!

it’s pretty cramped under there - ducting in the way etc.

Any good methods on how to do it appreciated! 

Thanks! 

Several videos if you search YouTube for  '987 clutch switch replacement'. Here's  an example 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

I was stuck 100 miles away from home with this problem so bypassed the switch by joining the two wires together....I never replaced the switch, it's really not needed.

There's a video on that too, albeit on a 986 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Daniel said:

I was stuck 100 miles away from home with this problem so bypassed the switch by joining the two wires together....I never replaced the switch, it's really not needed.

Unless you have cruise control may be? The car will always think the clutch is depresses so will cancel CC. I might be wrong....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Unless you have cruise control may be? The car will always think the clutch is depresses so will cancel CC. I might be wrong....

Hmmm, the cruise worked ok but I suppose you could have the problem of the engine revs increasing if you depressed the clutch without braking or switching of cruise. I ran like that for years and never had any issues.

6 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

Hmmm, the cruise worked ok but I suppose you could have the problem of the engine revs increasing if you depressed the clutch without braking or switching of cruise. I ran like that for years and never had any issues.

On most VAG, Vauxhalls and Fords I've driven with CC fruise is cancelled by clutch or brake application.  Looks like Porsche is different

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

On most VAG, Vauxhalls and Fords I've driven with CC fruise is cancelled by clutch or brake application.  Looks like Porsche is different

I *think* there are 2 switches on the clutch - one at the "top" one at the "bottom" - the bottom one is the "start inhibit" foot flat on the floor - the one at the top is "you breathed on the clutch, time to release cruise" 

13 minutes ago, Paul P said:

I *think* there are 2 switches on the clutch - one at the "top" one at the "bottom" - the bottom one is the "start inhibit" foot flat on the floor - the one at the top is "you breathed on the clutch, time to release cruise" 

Gotcha.  That makes perfect sense now I recall others talking about 2 switches.  OP just needs to bypass the correct switch!