GTS 4.0 Question

daviddurham

First apologies for those on PH that might already have seen my question.

Hopefully should have an allocation soon after 18+ months. After all the changes to standard equipment and configurator options, it’s time to review my original order spec. The multifunction wheel in race-tex is now standard (though the multifunction does not show in the graphic). However if you spec full leather interior it changes to the GT Sports wheel (again multifunction not shown).

Does anyone know/managed to find out,  (if lucky enough to be currently settling on a spec) if the multifunction is retained on the GT Wheel with leather?

In the wheel section the GT Wheel does not show multifunction on the option ticked, only other option shown is to pick the multifunction carbon wheel which a) not keen on and b) just does not fit with no other carbon.

David, my understanding on the steering wheel is that the multi function wheel defaults to the carbon now. However some have said that the full leather mfw is still available. It may just need your OPC to tweak your spec. Worth just chatting to your friendly sales person, I am sure they will be very proactive and helpful....one can only dream😅

Do I remember you being concerned about residuals?

Just seen Porsche Solihull put their demo up for £102k...don't think you have to worry👍

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JurassicBGTS said:Do I remember you being concerned about residuals?

Just seen Porsche Solihull put their demo up for £102k...don't think you have to worry👍

Hi, thanks very much for your reply much appreciated.

We did chat via PM when you got your amazing car allocated re wait times, though not on residuals as this will be a long term car.  My 981 I had for 7yrs.  The current 992 will have to go unfortunately after less than 18moths. I have been waiting since end October 21 and that was taking an order for a poor guy whose circumstances had changed and had to pull out.  My conversations with my OPC in last few weeks indicated I would be unlikely to get an allocation until end of this year for Q1 24 delivery.

I just got an email to say I now have an allocation and need to lock down my spec within next 6 weeks - so the back and forth on the configurator and weeks of indecision begin not complaining though as it’s also very exciting!!!

Just on the wheel spec looks like the standard fit is the ‘Multifunction GT sports steering wheel and gear selector in Race-Tex’  which just changes to GT sports steering wheel when you select leather interior.

Think your right though it’s feels like a question for my sales guy.

I trust your enjoying your new ride, having seen your pictures now also debating Arctic Grey 🤔

I absolutely love the Arctic Grey colour, but must have the full gloss black packs and am absolutely blown away with the engine even just using light throttle and 3-4000 rpm.

I will send you loads of photos if you like, if you pm me your email address.

Edited by JurassicBGTS
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JurassicBGTS said:

I absolutely love the Arctic Grey colour, but must have the full gloss black packs and am absolutely blown away with the engine even just using light throttle and 3-4000 rpm.

I will send you loads of photos if you like, if you pm me your email address.

Will do thanks for your help.

Do you have Bose - and what’s your opinion - I was just reading a forum where the guy was really disappointed in it?

The Bose system was initially very disappointing, but having played around with all the settings it's quite good but not exceptional. I personally don't listen to the music system that much, but my wife always wants it on. If it were me I wouldn't bother with Bose, but I haven't heard the standard system in the 718. I had the basic system in my first Macan and the Bose in my Macan GTS, I struggled to tell the difference, but my wife tells me I am tone deaf😅

The deep tone of the engine for me is far more addictive....probably heresy on here, but it sounds so much like my old 911 and more mature than my old 981😱

I had a 981 S previously with standard audio which was very weak and without the sports exhaust. Currently in a 992 S coupe with chrono and sports exhaust and Bose which incidentally love to bits - The sound is very good to my aging ears, but can also experience the benefits in a coupe more of the time. In the boxster the Burmester feels like huge overkill at over £3k

I do get the comments from everyone I know about it being a big backward step in every respect going from the 992 to the BGTS. I just want a convertible and probably the size of the boxster is better and more manageable for what I need so hope I don’t regret it! 

I’d get the Bose 100% the base system is terrible IMO, the Bose isn’t stand out by any means but it’s better than the base by a long shot.

The base system in the Macan isn’t too bad to be fair as above, but remember they are very different cars with different purposes and the base system isn’t the same!

if actually go as far as to say the base Macan system is better than the Bose in the 718 but one is an SUV with loads of space, a solid roof, and plenty of speakers and sound deadening the 718 doesn’t have that on its side!

It’s a must have option IMO and I do think people would expect it in a GTS in the secondary market! 

• Thanks 1

David, one option I would definitely tick is the leather steering column.

I have seen this on some other cars and I think it looks super vs the standard plastic item. Speccing it new it's also a bargain at £250 as if you try and buy it through Tequipment they want £1400, even on Ebay they are £750.

Try to view one at your OPC.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, I had seen someone else on a thread somewhere saying exactly that.  It’s not an option I had even considered.  I am now too and fro with leather vs GTS interior.  Though that’s just the start, I think I am going to have a good, but indecisive few weeks.

I am going to another local OPC to look at an arctic grey boxster (not GTS I don’t think)  they have in at the moment to see colour in the flesh.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Daviddurham, did you have any luck with the steering wheel question?  I have a Cayman GTS allocation that I need to confirm in the next couple of weeks and have just come across this.  My sales guy had not come across it before when I spoke to him today and he has said he will speak to Porsche tomorrow.  As you describe, there is a mismatch between what is stated in the standard spec (Multifunction GT Sport Wheel) with what is initially shown on the configurator (Standard GT sport wheel).  Likewise it is impossible to have a leather steering wheel of either type that is multifunction.  Seems mad!  If this is the case I have to choose between the least bad option of carbon or standard steering wheel, not a great start to my new car.

daviddurham did you have any luck with the steering wheel question?  I have a Cayman GTS allocation that I have to confirm in the next few weeks and have just noticed this.  I spoke to my sales guy today and he had not come across this and said he will speak to Porsche tomorrow.  Like you have said, the standard spec states that the car has a GT multifunction steering wheel yet the picture has a normal steering wheel.  There is no way to spec anything other than a GT multifunction wheel in carbon or a normal GT sports steering wheel, both no cost options.  There is therefore no way to spec a leather multifunction wheel of either type which seems mad!  If this isn't a glitch I will have to choose the least bad option which isn't good start to an expensive new car!

11 hours ago, Flame470 said:

daviddurham did you have any luck with the steering wheel question?  I have a Cayman GTS allocation that I have to confirm in the next few weeks and have just noticed this.  I spoke to my sales guy today and he had not come across this and said he will speak to Porsche tomorrow.  Like you have said, the standard spec states that the car has a GT multifunction steering wheel yet the picture has a normal steering wheel.  There is no way to spec anything other than a GT multifunction wheel in carbon or a normal GT sports steering wheel, both no cost options.  There is therefore no way to spec a leather multifunction wheel of either type which seems mad!  If this isn't a glitch I will have to choose the least bad option which isn't good start to an expensive new car!

Need to tag him like so @daviddurham

Hi @Flame470 as far as I have been able to ascertain when I went into my OPC, the standard fit wheel is the ‘Multifunction GT sports steering wheel and gear selector in Race-Tex’.  
On the configurator (same in the OPC) it does not show as being multifunction though. My SE said he would report that to Porsche.

Despite reading forums and listening to advice about treating and cleaning from my SE and a local detailer, I know it is going to bother me keeping it in good condition.

So the options are GT Sports Steering Wheel in leather (multifunction currently unavailable) or the Heated Multifunction Wheel in Carbon.   
I have currently configured the carbon wheel as have the GTS interior in my spec.  I believe it causes mixed feelings but is the best option for me currently.  I am keeping an eye on availability of the Leather Multifunction wheel up to my lock date first week in July

• Thanks 1

My cancelled order came with the carbon MFW.

I don't find it the abomination that some do. In fact I really like the feel of it in this hot weather and when I first collected the car I was using the heated function and it seems more effective on the carbon fibre than my Macan's leather MFW.

At Simply Porsche I only saw 2 other BGTS 4.0s and they both had carbon, one owner had specced it and loves it. A Cayman had the race tex, IMHO think carbon looks better, but I obviously have no taste😉

• Like 1

Thanks all, interestingly both the US and German configurators have an option for a leather MFW.  My SE hasn’t got back to me yet but he did offer to swap it out at the dealer and said he would contribute to the price, that in itself will be odd as the carbon wheel is a £700 option on other cayman models.  If I don’t get the right answer I will start phoning around other dealers and try and unravel this, I am convinced that this isn’t planned and it wouldn’t surprise me if some people get a wheel they were not expecting. (ie one without heating and buttons).  

@daviddurham The Boxster GTS I test drove in February (Acid Green!)  had the carbon wheel and one of the first things I said was "not going to have this".  I guess over the next hour or so I got used to it and just thought the car was awesome.  I think I have 4 weeks or so before I have to decide, I'll keep you updated.

Thanks, if I hear anything will do the same.  I have just over 3 weeks to my freeze point. I am trying not to make any more changes. The wheel being the only remaining area of potential change if the leather MF becomes available. Oh, and whether to spec the 18way seats, though I think I have spent enough with nearly £14k of options already! 

Is it me or are there issues with the configurator at the moment?  Thought I would have another play with my spec as freeze point approaches - just seems to keep hanging and get error codes. 
I am suspecting there may be more changes being made to available options or price!!!  

@daviddurham noticed that they changed the look of the configurator about a week ago although the content seems the same.  I had the same issues with the error codes on and off for the last few weeks, don't know if it is just when it is busy?!  Initial feedback about the leather steering wheel from Porsche UK (through my sales guy) have been positive, hoping to get a config code this week, will let you know...