GTS 4.0 Question

daviddurham

30 minutes ago, Flame470 said:

@daviddurham noticed that they changed the look of the configurator about a week ago although the content seems the same.  I had the same issues with the error codes on and off for the last few weeks, don't know if it is just when it is busy?!  Initial feedback about the leather steering wheel from Porsche UK (through my sales guy) have been positive, hoping to get a config code this week, will let you know...

Thanks @Flame470 that would be great. My sales guy last week was saying still unavailable. I am only 2 weeks from freeze point now.

I am having a debate with myself re the 18way seats now! There are some clear advantages, but in every car where I have had full memory electric seats I set them once and then never touch them again.

I love the Bose in my 718 and we have it in the 992 - these can’t be compared as the 992 is far greater in sound quality as speakers are in the side rear frames too and I hear the base unit is built into the structure of the car (don’t quote me please).

In terms of the Burmeister - have had it in the 718 when first launched and genuinely thought the Bose was better.

Music is very important to me in my car and this is the best yet. Of course I’m sure other brands with 1000watt systems and 16 speakers sound amazing too 

6 minutes ago, Stark9 said:

I love the Bose in my 718 and we have it in the 992 - these can’t be compared as the 992 is far greater in sound quality as speakers are in the side rear frames too and I hear the base unit is built into the structure of the car (don’t quote me please).

In terms of the Burmeister - have had it in the 718 when first launched and genuinely thought the Bose was better.

Music is very important to me in my car and this is the best yet. Of course I’m sure other brands with 1000watt systems and 16 speakers sound amazing too 

Burmeister is pointless in a boxster or 911! I had it in the 911 and it was wasted by the road noise and engine in the 911 I can only assume a Boxster would be the same if not worse! Each to their own as we all like different things.

I’ve specced Burmeister in my next Macan as that such a quiet car you can appreciate the clarity of the system. Currently have Bose in the Macan and it’s good but the Burmeister is better.

On 6/11/2023 at 11:39 AM, Flame470 said:

@daviddurham The Boxster GTS I test drove in February (Acid Green!)  had the carbon wheel and one of the first things I said was "not going to have this".  I guess over the next hour or so I got used to it and just thought the car was awesome.  I think I have 4 weeks or so before I have to decide, I'll keep you updated.

Was that the Cambridge Acid Green?

@Flame470 the configurator seems to be working again and there appear to be no changes.

looking through the Tequipment Accessories for the 4.0 GTS. The leather wheel appears to be orderable. Whether that is really the case I will ask my OPC.

The part No and details for PDK with chrono is below (manual in black has a different part No. 991 044 400 31 A34  )

Part number: 991 044 400 33 A34

For vehicles with PDK and Sport Chrono package.

Black

Available for:
    • 718 Boxster GTS 4.0
    •  
    • 718 Boxster
    • 718 Cayman
    •  
    • 718 Boxster S
    •  More Models...

Price including fitment and painting from *

£ 982.40 incl. 20% VAT 
£ 818.67 excl. 20% VAT

If it’s available I would not be expecting to pay extra for it though by specifying it as a dealer fit part!!

• Thanks 2

Just playing with the configurator as my original deposit may come through later this year according to my OPC. Doubt if I will take up the option, really depends on what I could get for my current car.

Seems like retractable mirrors and dipping mirrors have gone from the configurator or are they now all part of the 14/18 way seat option?

Sorry I meant auto dimming not auto dipping, but see they are also included as standard along with rain sensing wipers. Becoming a bit a a bargain with all these standard features now included😂

Edited by JurassicBGTS

9 hours ago, JurassicBGTS said:

Sorry I meant auto dimming not auto dipping, but see they are also included as standard along with rain sensing wipers. Becoming a bit a a bargain with all these standard features now included😂

😂 I like your sense of humour….   I will consider the £10k increase since I placed my deposit a sound financial investment 🤣

• Like 1

@daviddurham I exchanged emails with my SE yesterday.  He has had a few exchanges with Porsche to get to the bottom of this and he says that Porsche UK are telling him to order the car with option 858 which is the GT Sports Steering Wheel.  He states that this will give me a leather wheel with controls.  There are obviously still unanswered questions (such as how do you order a standard leather wheel with controls or a GT wheel without controls?!) but I think he is just happy that if the car comes without the controls he has a paper trail so he can charge it back to Porsche UK when I get them to change it before I accept the vehicle.

I also sent an email direct to Porsche UK, they replied personally to me last week and say they are looking into it, still waiting for an answer from them...

18 minutes ago, Flame470 said:

@daviddurham I exchanged emails with my SE yesterday.  He has had a few exchanges with Porsche to get to the bottom of this and he says that Porsche UK are telling him to order the car with option 858 which is the GT Sports Steering Wheel.  He states that this will give me a leather wheel with controls.  There are obviously still unanswered questions (such as how do you order a standard leather wheel with controls or a GT wheel without controls?!) but I think he is just happy that if the car comes without the controls he has a paper trail so he can charge it back to Porsche UK when I get them to change it before I accept the vehicle.

I also sent an email direct to Porsche UK, they replied personally to me last week and say they are looking into it, still waiting for an answer from them...

That’s is great news if I can get to same position. My preference by far is for the GT wheel in leather with multifunction controls.

It also appears to be orderable from the teqequipment options list for dealer fit. I also looked on the US, Canadian and German configurator as you can order the GT wheel in leather and add the controls as another option on all of them.

I can look it up but do you have the direct email address for Porsche UK handy you could share.  I will ask the same question. I will get my SE on the case but does not seem as proactive as yours (computer says no). It’s useful to have a email trail to go back to if it’s not as expected.

@daviddurham Here is the link to the webpage, address is contact@porsche.co.uk  I got an automated reply the next day and then a personal reply about a week later.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/dialog/contactandinformation/customerservices/

Initially, after speaking to my SE, I emailed him with what I had found out regarding the wheels and the discrepancy between the pictures on the configurator and the available options.  He understood straight away and emailed Porsche.  Initially the guy from Porsche wrote back to him and said that the MF wheel is standard on the UK car so there was no problem.  My SE then got back to them again because he didn't know what code to use on the order, and this is where we have ended up.

It will help if you email Porsche UK as well so they know there is a problem for more than one person.

If you get any traction, it's important that you get something in writing that they are going to get you a leather MF wheel as it may not be explicitly stated on the order form.

43 minutes ago, Flame470 said:

@daviddurham Here is the link to the webpage, address is contact@porsche.co.uk  I got an automated reply the next day and then a personal reply about a week later.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/dialog/contactandinformation/customerservices/

Initially, after speaking to my SE, I emailed him with what I had found out regarding the wheels and the discrepancy between the pictures on the configurator and the available options.  He understood straight away and emailed Porsche.  Initially the guy from Porsche wrote back to him and said that the MF wheel is standard on the UK car so there was no problem.  My SE then got back to them again because he didn't know what code to use on the order, and this is where we have ended up.

It will help if you email Porsche UK as well so they know there is a problem for more than one person.

If you get any traction, it's important that you get something in writing that they are going to get you a leather MF wheel as it may not be explicitly stated on the order form.

Email sent.

will let you know what I get as reply.  I have expressed my urgency given my freeze date.

• Like 1

Well ….  

Despite me putting quite a bit of detail in my email including the error on the configurator, the reply back from PUK is no help at all!  Simple referred me back to the ‘Service Department’ at my chosen PC for ‘any guidance and resolution’.

How bizarre, slightly different to mine:

"I am sorry to read that you have experienced trouble when looking to spec your Cayman GTS and have enquired with our Vehicle Planning Department to see whether the Leather Multification wheel is available for 2024 models or only 2023. What I can do is provide you with an update as soon as possible". Still waiting for a reply (my freeze date in 10 days)

Anyway, I had a good conversation with my SE today.  He read the response that he had from Porsche stating that as the GT multifunction race-tex wheel is standard on the GTS then once you delete the race-tex from the steering wheel then the multifunction bit remains. He is happy that he has something in writing from them to this effect.

I will keep you updated if I get anything from Porsche UK.

Very different response to my boiler plate one, that does not reference anything in terms of the content of the initiating email.

Thank you for contacting Porsche. 

For any guidance and resolution to the issue that you are experiencing, please contact a member of the Service Department at your local or preferred Porsche Centre.  They have Porsche Trained Technicians on site who will be able to support you and also have the ability to submit requests to further Technically trained teams to thoroughly investigate.

Full details of all our Porsche Centres can be located on our Porsche website - www.porsche.co.uk.”

like many things in life might depend on who you get working/responding on a particular day.

I think I will make an appointment with my SE and try and get to the same position as you have.  Then at least I specify the GT leather wheel there should be some recourse to getting it replaced FoC.

will let you know how things go.

• Like 1

Please ensure you get it in writing ! I have had things not done that were promised just the week before. 

When I was ordering my 4.0, I had to send the "trained technician" away to consult with his superiors.

He had tried to up-sell me the optional racetec sun visors "so they matched the windscreen trim"  I had to tell him they are plastic on a Boxster and only racetec on the Cayman.  He talked down to me long enough that I actually sent him away to get corrected.  

He returned slightly more humbled but only slightly less condescending. 😆

HIs standard response after this was" we can always get this done after delivery" 

I honestly feel your frustrations as there were so many things I wanted that they wouldn't allow.  The "Porsche Exclusive" is utter BS. It is just an options list and there is not personalization except paying stupid amounts of ££ for paint.  

eg. I wanted a white chrono lock face - not available with GTS trim

I want gloss black wing mirror bases, as fitted to the Macan  - "pay extra to paint them after delivery !" (ie nolonger warranty or factory fit for insurance )

Be firm peeps , but be strong.....I still wish I had the 4.0 on order.

I live in Portugal, bought a new Toyota from Portugal.  5 years later, wanted the newer model.  All are built in Japan.  Looking around Europe (can't remember why I started, probably a comment from a non-Portuguese colleague), I saw they could be made with sunroofs. Told Toyota Portugal I wanted mine with a sunroof. "No you can't have that."  Why not, I can get them with sunroof in Spain, Italy, Germany... they are all made in Japan... they went away and looked at it and came back "No you can't order one with a sunroof." Why not? "Because we've done customer research and people don't want them with sunroofs."  I don't know how he could actually say that with a straight face. Hello, I'm a customer with 30k in my bank account and I do want a sunroof. "No, we can't sell you one."

I bought it from Spain. (Where it also came with various other desirable extras - roof bars, LED rear lights, etc - that the Portuguese hadn't included in their model.)

The customer is usually king but not always.  I put it down to "computer says no". I'm guessing it literally wasn't available as an option to tick in the automated Portuguese system and they had no flexibility to get round it.

And it's that complete lack of service that bugs me so much. 

Why are the younger generations happy to have things in such a state?  There is zero interest in working smarter, making things simpler, or simply trying to help someone other than yourself.  If a computer states something - it must be true, right !??!!

<grumpy old man> off

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I live in Portugal, bought a new Toyota from Portugal.  5 years later, wanted the newer model.  All are built in Japan.  Looking around Europe (can't remember why I started, probably a comment from a non-Portuguese colleague), I saw they could be made with sunroofs. Told Toyota Portugal I wanted mine with a sunroof. "No you can't have that."  Why not, I can get them with sunroof in Spain, Italy, Germany... they are all made in Japan... they went away and looked at it and came back "No you can't order one with a sunroof." Why not? "Because we've done customer research and people don't want them with sunroofs."  I don't know how he could actually say that with a straight face. Hello, I'm a customer with 30k in my bank account and I do want a sunroof. "No, we can't sell you one."

I bought it from Spain. (Where it also came with various other desirable extras - roof bars, LED rear lights, etc - that the Portuguese hadn't included in their model.)

The customer is usually king but not always.  I put it down to "computer says no". I'm guessing it literally wasn't available as an option to tick in the automated Portuguese system and they had no flexibility to get round it.

Trouble is when you need a rear light that isn’t available on Portuguese models then there will be none available and they will have to be a special order.  Probably from Japan

Thats one of reasons why some insurance companies here in the uk will bump a premium for an import because of parts supply.  

Wholeheartedly agree customer should be king!  And the whole process of buying a premium product at a premium price, you should be made to feel as such. The process should be pleasurable and exciting and part of the ownership experience, not a battle.

• Like 2