Help. Where is the frunk emergency release cable on the 2001 S model

Dodgster

Does anyone know where the frunk emergency release switch is on a 2001 Boxster S? To cut a long story short the alarm went off in the early hours and I eventually had to disconnect both battery terminals forgetting in my sleep deprived state that the electric release mechanism can’t work without power.

I rang Porsche this morning and they stated that a silver pull cord with a loop should be able to be accessed by removing the lining of the front wheel arch, looked at both today and it’s nowhere to be found.

I'm desperate now as I can’t get the car to an auto electrician to sort out the alarm shenanigans and on a wider scale can’t use the damn thing at all.

please help guys!

On a 2000 it is tucked right up inside the arch on the passenger side near to where the brake lines come out of the ABS unit through near the front of the inner wing.

It is quite a fine wire loop.  I'd not fancy pulling hard on it just using a finger in the loop, may be make a hook out of something if it is a bit stiff.

I’ve just gone out again and looked in both the left wheel arch and the right, unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be anything of that description.

I’m finding that the 2001 S is quirky and always seems to be slightly different from other models so are there any guys out there with the same model? 

if so can someone pop the frunk and tell me where the release cable runs to?

Once again with the Boxster someting so simple is turning into a nightmare…

It’s not unknown for previous owners to “change stuff”.  They sometimes relocate the cable to the front towing eye outlet or up behind the headlights to make it “easier”

otherwise.  If your car is early (and I don’t know 986 that well) your frunk release is actually a cable and the electric part is an interlock on the switch. You can lift the switch and find the cable.  

or.  There is a method for putting power to a fuse on the fuse board.  Use a real battery or a jump pack with a boost override switch. 

or there maybe the pull out post in the fuse box. 

the original problem is possibly the battery on the siren. They die over time.  And when they do they constabulary try to charge from the car battery. Which drains to a point where the alarms triggers the “battery level below threshold think I am being stolen and wakes the dead” 

When you get that far.  You can just disconnect the siren.  

good luck. 

Thanks for your input my friend. I’ve just checked the towing eye and it’s not been relocated there. I can’t access the lights to check as i cannot currently open the frunk.

I’ve seen a few comments about the cable being accessed where the electronic release is however there is no facility to access them on mine.

I’ve also heard of a cable being near/behind the fuse board which I have checked but I’ll check again.

I fully intend to disconnect the battery on the siren once I gain access!

I’ll have to let you know when I eventually gain access. I’m going back out again to investigate near the fuse box. If I have no joy I’ll investigate both wheel arches further. Would be easier if I could remove the wheels but guess where the locking wheel nut is…the damn frunk!

note to me to ensure that it is kept in the car’s cabin at all times from now on….

Are there any guys out there who have a 2001 S and have overcome this issue? 
I'm thinking that as this was a “crossover” year as they were building up to the launch of the 987 that perhaps there are some oddities on this model as everywhere I’ve looked the release cord with the loop is not present. 
I am definitely going to get this rewired so it goes through the towing eye ….

1 hour ago, Dodgster said:

Are there any guys out there who have a 2001 S and have overcome this issue? 
I'm thinking that as this was a “crossover” year as they were building up to the launch of the 987 that perhaps there are some oddities on this model as everywhere I’ve looked the release cord with the loop is not present. 
I am definitely going to get this rewired so it goes through the towing eye ….

I doubt it..the 987 wasnt  launched until late 2004.

I stand corrected however the 2001 S still appears to have far too many quirks for my liking…but I guess that’s Boxster life!

I’ve found this which may clear things up for me…getting to it with my big hands may be problematic though…

Yes it does have two release levers but they are different to the ones in this video (no gap) and having removed the carpeted area near the fuse box I can confirm that there is no black cable…I wish that it was there as this would have been easy 

I think mine will be tucked behind the driver’s side headlamp (UK)….my only issue will be fishing it out as I can’t take my front right wheel off as the locking wheel but is in the frunk…I’ll need to jack up both sides, full lock and see what happens…

11 hours ago, Dodgster said:

Yes it does have two release levers but they are different to the ones in this video (no gap) and having removed the carpeted area near the fuse box I can confirm that there is no black cable…I wish that it was there as this would have been easy 

The bonnet/boot releases switch from mechanical to electric for the 2001 model year.  The release cable may or may not have switched sides at that time, there is no definitive evidence as to a cut off.