Syncing key fob to open remotely

Dodgster

I know this has probably been done to death however I’ve recently had to renew my key fobs as not only were they not opening the car remotely they were contributing to the setting off of my alarm (see my recent other post).

I got two new fobs, had the keys cut and transponder transferred to the new units and both worked a treat-I’m now a happy camper!

since then I’ve not really used the car however yesterday evening I was on my way out and not one but both sets of keys failed to open remotely.

I’m at a loss as to why they are no longer working, batteries are brand new and the light illuminates when all three/six buttons are pressed.

Any ideas as why would they stop working?

surely if they were not going to work them shouldn’t they have not worked immediately after? 

I’m stumped guys!

Each remote transponder has a fixed number of times it can be used, after which it's basically dead. One of my keys is in that situation. It'll still open and start the car - I just have to be quick to disable the alarm.

Very unlikely to happen to two simultaneously though.

JMG Porsche have a very detailed write up pn then986 996 alarm system. At some point you just have to pay from new key fob electronics. Costs about £350 to £400 from indy or Porsche.

3 hours ago, AMacdonald said:

Each remote transponder has a fixed number of times it can be used, after which it's basically dead. One of my keys is in that situation. It'll still open and start the car - I just have to be quick to disable the alarm.

Very unlikely to happen to two simultaneously though.

2001 model so if the previous owners used them and swapped them around (as I have) then that’s a distinct possibility…

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

JMG Porsche have a very detailed write up pn then986 996 alarm system. At some point you just have to pay from new key fob electronics. Costs about £350 to £400 from indy or Porsche.

Wow! That’s a kick in the nuts!

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Dodgster said:

Wow! That’s a kick in the nuts!

I might have over done the price a bit, mine as £270 from Porsche 3½ years ago.  It is a limitation of the electronics of a car designed some 20 odd years ago.

The other thing to check is where there is or has been moisture int eh alarm system under the passenger seat.  Corrosion on the electronics in there can cause havoc of various sorts from no remote locking/unlocking to interior lights not working.

I did miss the point that it has been standing between attempts.  The electronics go into a deep sleep mode after 5 days on the 986 (7 days for 987).  Put the key in the driver's door and turn it left once.  The remote should then work if it is functioning OK.

18 hours ago, Dodgster said:

Tried loads of times. I’ve opened manually, put it in the ignition, taken it out, pressed for 10 seconds yet none of this synchs either keys 🤔

Have you actually started the car having put the key in the ignition?