981 what to buy?

Dubdubz

3 minutes ago, moonshine said:

It’s nice, (but manual) - i prefer PDK 

got all the toys.

Not a fan of the wheels.

price seems ok

I'm after manual. I was after newer 2015 to 2018 in S or GTS.

You think price is fair for a 2012?

2 hours ago, M12MTR said:

I'm after manual. I was after newer 2015 to 2018 in S or GTS.

You think price is fair for a 2012?

The 981 stopped in 2016 so you won’t find a 2018 one.

From my observations of very many adverts it seems like the year bears less relevance on the 981 than you’d expect.

However lower mileage does seem to bump up the prices.

It seems a bit daft when they should be built to shrug off the miles, and added to the fact that even as a weekend toy 5k a year is perfectly reasonable - but a 2012 car with 55k miles would often be called “leggy” here despite that only being 5k per year.

The golden rules do seem to be options, condition and miles. Not necessarily in that order as everyone has different priorities.  Plus there seem to be a lot of sellers describing cars as sounding like they’re “fully loaded” off the options list but when you check the pictures they are missing a lot.  These days I quickly scan through the pictures before reading anything about the car, can dismiss a car in 20-30 seconds almost from the thumbnails these days.

At one point I was speaking with a seller, his price seemed optimistic at best, a harsher term would be delusional.  The ad had that wording from the 70’s “first to see will buy”, he mentioned he’d had three viewers on it 😕

5 hours ago, moospeed said:

At one point I was speaking with a seller, his price seemed optimistic at best, a harsher term would be delusional.  The ad had that wording from the 70’s “first to see will buy”, he mentioned he’d had three viewers on it 😕

Yes I know. After either 981 or 718. S or GTS in manual. Tbh I'm leaning more to 718 from 2016.

I let go a (in hindsight perfect) 2017 7178 GTS 2 months ago, wish I'd bought it now.

So you spoken to the seller of this 2012 981 S?

Yes I agree, I cannot fathom £40k for an 11 year old model. It will no doubt require a lot ££££ in maintenance (coolant pipes, suspension, tyres, air con condensers etc possible, regular age related fixes).

Was the seller open to realistic offers? Or 'delusional' in that they expect to achieve that 'price'?

Daz will confirm but I believe the corrosion prone crossover pipes on the 987 are redesigned or better protected on the 981. 

Also be aware that the early 718s are rather noisier than the 981. I think they were quietened after 2019. Mine was a 2018 and noisy, but early models were louder still. 

I think there were two noise reductions. 

I’ve had my 981S with most options and 15k miles for two years. All Porsche history etc, but I still had engine mounts fail at £2,500. One went a second time too, but no charge. 

Worth checking with Porsche dealer  

I paid £42,500 for my 981S

Mine is clean too 2013 car but it's always garaged and mostly driven in the dry. The first thing to corrode on them is the short brake pipes from the caliper to the next connection point behind the arch, if they are clean and original the rest of it should be ok.

I wouldn't be hung up on age if it's been cared for.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, M12MTR said:

Yes I know. After either 981 or 718. S or GTS in manual. Tbh I'm leaning more to 718 from 2016.

I let go a (in hindsight perfect) 2017 7178 GTS 2 months ago, wish I'd bought it now.

So you spoken to the seller of this 2012 981 S?

Yes I agree, I cannot fathom £40k for an 11 year old model. It will no doubt require a lot ££££ in maintenance (coolant pipes, suspension, tyres, air con condensers etc possible, regular age related fixes).

Was the seller open to realistic offers? Or 'delusional' in that they expect to achieve that 'price'?

No, sorry for the confusion, the delusional seller was on an R8.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Mine is clean too 2013 car but it's always garaged and mostly driven in the dry. The first thing to corrode on them is the short brake pipes from the caliper to the next connection point behind the arch, if they are clean and original the rest of it should be ok.

I wouldn't be hung up on age if it's been cared for.

Agreed - mine is a 2012 & likewise no corrosion. 

I think another yardstick is the condition of the bonnet catch which is an easy tell if rust is around - saves grovelling around on the floor; anyone agree?

33 minutes ago, daz05 said:

If you honestly don't care about engine sound and manual is the most important part of the engagement the 718 2.0 6 speed really isn't a bad shout, they are a great steer otherwise.

I had a base 987.2.

It was nippy but want S or GTS now.

Edited by M12MTR

6 minutes ago, M12MTR said:

I had a base 987.2.

It was nippy but want S or GTS now.

Go and try a 2L 718 because you’ll be astonished at how fast it is after a 987, which I had. 

it was a lovely smooth easy to drive car, but it really needed screaming to get any power out of it. 

the 718 has power everywhere