981 what to buy?

Dubdubz

16 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

So that's either a KTM or Ducati....

Don't stop.  Not everyone gets it hence the bias.

Don't stop  because of what you read.

It's not that not everyone gets it, just for some have a different perspective  / threshold on a particular risk.

I love bikes 👍

8 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

Statistically it is to do with training.

I do agree that of course a lesser protected human body is more likely to be injured when something happens to it, which is why a biker should wear the right kit, ride appropriately and be more aware of hazards than the average car driver who in my 41 years of motorcycling experience is a complete idiot.

There is the odd freak 'collision' I'm sure, but a significant number of 'accidents' are not accidents at all, but a lack of awareness or a lack of skill & totally avoidable.  If you don't have the capacity to manage the above , then definitely stay off motorcycles and bicycles come to that.  

Does your wife also ban you from football, rugby, horses, skiing, fell walking, s3x etc?

That's more realistic  ;)

• Like 1

I just put the other view point. Not suggesting anyone stops but even well trained and experienced riders can have problems with other road users, or just make a bad call as Andy seemed to do.

I competed as a rally nav for 11 years and played rugby.  Yes I got banged up a bit but never lost a fired playing rugby.  Did lose two fellow co-drivers on events I was competing in, one to a heart attack, not an accident but still on a stage and the other the car on the road immediately in front of us so we were first on the scene, but it didn't stop me getting in the car for the next event, 'cos it happens to someone else, not me.

The odds are not that you will have a 'big one' but you are more likely to on a bike.  Some of us buy lottery tickets at much worse odds of losing and are quite happy to do so.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I just put the other view point. Not suggesting anyone stops but even well trained and experienced riders can have problems with other road users, or just make a bad call as Andy seemed to do.

I competed as a rally nav for 11 years and played rugby.  Yes I got banged up a bit but never lost a fired playing rugby.  Did lose two fellow co-drivers on events I was competing in, one to a heart attack, not an accident but still on a stage and the other the car on the road immediately in front of us so we were first on the scene, but it didn't stop me getting in the car for the next event, 'cos it happens to someone else, not me.

The odds are not that you will have a 'big one' but you are more likely to on a bike.  Some of us buy lottery tickets at much worse odds of losing and are quite happy to do so.

Statistically motorcyclists on our roads are more 'likely' to have an incident if you look at the % of road users by vehicle type, but it's then down to percentages of percentages & identification of users.  Within the overall motorcyclist 'umbrella' there are the statistics I am referring to.  It is well recognised that advanced training reduces your chance of anything happening along with wearing good quality kit etc, not removing it totally so it is absolutely relevant.  Kids that get wiped out on illegal mopeds and stolen bikes etc will be labelled as 'bikers', but we know that's not really the case - for example.

We as humans do make mistakes & yes the consequences of those on a bike can be significant sadly.  The same can be said of many other forms of travel although being wrapped in a mainly metallic shell does protect you and also encourage people to feel immortal and drive like a55holes - these people we all need to watch out for.

Stay safe out there folks and watch out for bikes!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Woooaahhh!

This thread has me thinking I maybe need to sell my 1300cc, 160bhp, Adventure bike, stop touring Europe every year on it with my mates and cease enjoying riding 5000 miles a year on two wheels!

But then again, I have been riding for 47 years now without a major incident...on everything from 50cc mopeds, through the 600's and 750's, to the 1000cc superbikes - R1's, Gixxers, Fireblades and Ducatis, and now Adventure bikes.

Am I too old...?

It would be like asking me to stop breathing!

Totally agree with this. 

I'm getting married in December, it would desolate me if Lynn banned me from riding bikes as I simply cannot afford the cost of a second divorce.....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2023 at 4:44 PM, Scubaregs said:

Totally agree with this. 

I'm getting married in December, it would desolate me if Lynn banned me from riding bikes as I simply cannot afford the cost of a second divorce.....

A good friend of mine had a few years away from bikes after his mate ended his life on his. Now my mate is over that and has a nice new BMW but nothing too crazy, like a sport tourer - not sure. I've never had a bike so I've decided to just not do it. Its very very rare you hear of someone dying in a car crash. But with bikes it is definitely very possible. 

It's rare someone dies scuba diving, skydiving, abseiling, etc etc etc. 

If you go through life avoiding everything that carries risk, it will be a very sheltered and uneventful existence.

• Like 3

I got wiped out on my bike 8 years ago this month... Air Ambulance to hospital, broken back in 2 places, broken arm, 2 broken fingers, major bowel surgery...the works.

It was only my non bike riding friends that when visiting hospital said "are you going to carry on riding?".. my bike riding friends knew.

10 weeks later I was back at work, anther 2 weeks later I was back on my bike. We were both rebuilt!

My instructor back in the day gave me 2 pieces of advice ...

"Go on the basis that 50% of car drivers haven't seen you and the other 50% are trying to kill you" and "its all well and good taking the moral high ground as they are loading you into the ambulance"

Every biker knows the risks involved but as said above, everything in life has risks. I spent a few years as a PADI Scuba Instructor 20 years ago and in the 3 years I did that, 1 person unfortunately lost their life. They had a heart attack at 15 metres and held their breath on the way up so had a lung over expansion injury. Nobody knows the future, do what makes you feel good.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2023 at 10:51 AM, Scubaregs said:

It's rare someone dies scuba diving, skydiving, abseiling, etc etc etc. 

If you go through life avoiding everything that carries risk, it will be a very sheltered and uneventful existence.

Understood

I don't go through life avoiding stuff that carries risk. I just don't go looking to try new hobbies if the risk is high. 

I've never had a motor bike. Don't feel like I really really want one or I would go buy one.

It seems hard enough to enjoy a car on today's roads. Not sure I'd get much more enjoyment from a bike.

I do fancy a grown up scooter but not sure I am that bothered really. Its hard enough driving all that cars I've got already. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ATM said:

It seems hard enough to enjoy a car on today's roads. Not sure I'd get much more enjoyment from a bike.

Ain't that the truth, I don't think I've had a single journey in months that some utter ball-bag does something stupid. Jumping lights has become so prevalent I now treat traffic-light controlled junctions just like a standard give-way junction :(

5 hours ago, ATM said:

I do fancy a grown up scooter but not sure I am that bothered really.

Not sure what your scooter usage looks like but have you looked at e-bikes, de-restricted they are a complete hoot  :)

• 5 weeks later...

I’ve had three Boxsters, a 987 2.7 bought with 53,000 miles and all Porsche history. It cost an absolute fortune over the three years I had it. All new suspension, crossover pipes, air con pipes, condenser and more. 

so I bought an ex dem 2L 718, very much faster and with better handling and steering. It would have been excellent but it wasn’t reliable, all replaced under guarantee, but infuriating to have to keep returning to dealer. Failures included Turbo, heater fan, indicator switch, battery, failing to demist driver’s window and all the paint chipped off the sills. I swapped for Merc because they’re bulletproof. 

I missed the Boxster so decided to keep the Merc and buy another, this time a low mileage 981S with virtually everything on on it. 

I love it, as others have said the steering is vague after a Merc and it has the slightly unstable rear end of the 987, if not as badly. 

it’s quieter and ride better than the 718 because it has adaptive suspension and the six is quieter than a 987 or 718. 

like the 987 it feels a bit gutless, especially compared to the 718, which is a flyer, but it’s a superb car and I love it. 

however it’s bloody unreliable. I had two active engine mounts fail at 16,000 miles £2,500, then the battery and the heater fan packed up.

A year later another dynamic engine mount failed and on the way home from Porsche Swindon warning lights came on because a switch on the brake pedal failed. 

While Porsche were waiting for the parts, the battery went flat and the alarm has failed. This and the switch are £500

this is a virtually one owner car with all Porsche service history in as new condition. It cost a great deal. 

Over the same period I’ve run three C Class Mercs, all bought at about 18 month old and one had a window opener chip fail and the current cabriolet had a bit of string replaced in the hood mech. 

It’s well known VW have troubles and I presume what I’ve suffered is why. 

I don’t much want to sell the car and if I do I’ll lose lots. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 356C said:

but it’s a superb car and I love it.

Given you say the 981S is a bit gutless, the steering vague, the back end unstable and the car is unreliable what do like love about it? 🤔

No car is perfect, I really love my Boxster, it’s beautiful to look at, drives and ride beautifully. 

What does worry me is the seemingly endless unreliability. 

53028866996_8c883bb9a9_b.jpg

Edited by 356C
  • Like 1

It’s not the tyres, which are OE Pirelli’s. It’s how they are. Someone mentioned Test Drive Scotland who’s done a video on fitting bits from a 718 to fix it. 

I never had a 986, but I’m told they were worse, the 987 was an improvement, the 981 better again and the 718 fixed. They really handle, but the engine is a bit noisy. 

it’s on the limit on bumpy corners that’s it’s disconcerting, so not problem most of the time. 

I’d like to try, even buy a 718s. I prefer the power of the four because it’s everywhere whereas you have to scream the six to get it to go. In the USA they’re remapping them to get over 400bhp. 

2 hours ago, 356C said:

I really love my Boxster, it’s beautiful to look at, drives and ride beautifully. What does worry me is the seemingly endless unreliability. 

Elsewhere I made a comment about an old Mustang with an electric motor, and let's say reservations were quickly raised! We put up with some aspects to benefit from others.

The engine mount story is a disgrace though.

Any failures at 17,200 miles are a disgrace in my book. My Mercs are trouble free and the current one is quite quick. 

A heater motor is £699 (£69 from China), the brake pedal switch is £184 and the alarm £304. Parts prices are very high. 

52232755331_4c5f17a489_b.jpg

3 hours ago, 356C said:

It’s not the tyres, which are OE Pirelli’s. It’s how they are. Someone mentioned Test Drive Scotland who’s done a video on fitting bits from a 718 to fix it. 

OE Pirellis suck on the 981. Mine was borderline lethal in the wet with them. Have you tried Michelin PS4S? I did and it transformed the car.

It’s true Pirelli’s don’t have as much grip even in the dry as Michelins, but Michelins lasted 8,000 for a set on my 987 and Pirelli’s 12,500 on my much faster 718s. 

Tyres don’t cause the handling issues though in this instance 

Test Drive Scotland addresses the problem here. 

I might need to do some work on how I'm explaining things 😲

I'm not really addressing any problem with the car, I have to be honest and say that I don't agree with your comments. This is an excellent chassis and the rear end on mine was and still is very planted. I'd suggest you take a look at your suspension geometry because it sounds off.

What I've done is actually reducing rear end stability so to reduce inherent understeer. Of course firming it up helps the suspension to work more efficiently but the ride is slightly worse than before.

It's a trade off I'm happy with because I want the rear to move like this in order to make the car more playful, I felt it was too well behaved/planted and set up to understeer too soon.

You will have seen me firming up the rear end with a stiffer ARB and chassis bracing to make the car more pointy, it turns in with more urgency, it's easier to provoke it now on throttle and the rear helps to push the car around more than before when I lift.

The electric power steering likes good geometry and and a good reading on the steering angle sensor to work properly. Alignment and reset is quite important otherwise it feels quite odd.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2