981 what to buy?

Dubdubz

7 minutes ago, iborguk said:

We like what we like.

I liked my two flat sixes.

I like my turbo four.

100% 

I'd love a 4.0 GTS but is it worth the minimum £20k premium over the 718 GTS 2.5 no way. It's the pick of the bunch for sure but its not a £20k better car. 

4 hours ago, ATM said:

I think the 981 in front is turning in later and getting a better exit speed from the corners.  So maybe that is why the 718 cant quite catch him.

Yes most likely the tyre’s because the 718’s rear end is more planted and it’s a bit faster cornering otherwise . 

Why car manufacturers bother to bring out new models beats me, go onto any car forum and the owners of the previous model will swear on their child's immortal soul that theirs is superior.

How they stay in business is a complete mystery as they constantly make their cars worse than the previous offering.  

Edited by Scubaregs
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, hopz121 said:

981 is highly modified and being driven better this video doesn't really show much!

Stock for Stock a 718 would be faster for sure, I am still a frim believer that a 718 GTS 2.5 would be quicker in most situations than a GT4 as well! 

The 718 Turbos really do shift also the steering is better too :)

Excuses excuses, it was put forward that a 2.0l 718 was a quicker car than a 3.4s, I've put forward evidence to contradict the statement, a 3.4 and a 2.5 having some fun, and the results speak for themselves. A heavily modified 981 makes a few more bhp at peak than standard probably half a car length in the real world. The chap in the 718 is doing just fine but all that torque isn't getting him anywhere because of an invention called a gearbox.

I'm not disputing that the 2.5 is the quicker car, but not the 2.0.

1 hour ago, 356C said:

Yes most likely the tyre’s because the 718’s rear end is more planted and it’s a bit faster cornering otherwise . 

Time to retract the statement not dig deeper holes. 👍

23 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Why car manufacturers bother to bring out new models beats me, go onto any car forum and the owners of the previous model will swear on their child's immortal soul that theirs is superior.

How they stay in business is a complete mystery as they constantly make their cars worse than the previous offering.  

Young men want their shiny new toy.  It is us older guys who start to appreciate the older versions.  The kids will always want the latest.

BUT

That might be changing now as ICEngines seem to be ending and therefore gems will command their value I think as supply will dry up.  So its possible the older is better narrative works due to the ridiculous environmental rules manufacturers are forced to adhere to.

8 minutes ago, ATM said:

Young men want their shiny new toy.  It is us older guys who start to appreciate the older versions.  The kids will always want the latest.

BUT

That might be changing now as ICEngines seem to be ending and therefore gems will command their value I think as supply will dry up.  So its possible the older is better narrative works due to the ridiculous environmental rules manufacturers are forced to adhere to.

Yes, but this argument has been the same since time immemorial, sea to land, crawling to upright, horse to car etc.

Many early computers are collectable, but it's not for their performance against their modern counterparts.

On 5/28/2023 at 2:02 PM, iborguk said:

Go drive some and see what options you like ? You'll also get the feel of the slightly bigger cabin and things like PDK.

I also wouldn't buy one worrying about residuals, they are cars, not an investment and no one has a crystal ball as to how their value will go, although currently the 981S is commanding a good premium. 

I'd buy the car you like at the money you feel comfortable at.

Electric steering rack, PADM mounts and aircon fans are not uncommon failure points.

Enjoy the hunt.

Sorry to quote this so long after the post but, could this be why my aircon only seems to blow cold air when the car is moving? If I'm sitting in the car park waiting for my missus to have her nails done it blows warm air with the aircon on 'Lo' and the ventilation fan running at full blast until we get moving again when it blows caold again. It's as if there's no air flow over the condensers when staionary.

If so, can I check the fans myself, and how?
Would a dead fan(s) show up on PIWIS?

1 minute ago, cozzykim said:

Sorry to quote this so long after the post but, could this be why my aircon only seems to blow cold air when the car is moving? If I'm sitting in the car park waiting for my missus to have her nails done it blows warm air with the aircon on 'Lo' and the ventilation fan running at full blast until we get moving again when it blows caold again. It's as if there's no air flow over the condensers when staionary.

Do you have manual aircon or the dual zone climate control ?

Hmmmm doesn't sound the classic symptom but below video may help you check the fan itself..

There are checks PIWIS can do on the cooling/heating system, don't know off the top of my head if that includes the fan...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Do you have manual aircon or the dual zone climate control ?

Hmmmm doesn't sound the classic symptom but below video may help you check the fan itself..

There are checks PIWIS can do on the cooling/heating system, don't know off the top of my head if that includes the fan...

It's dual zone climate, if that helps. 

1 minute ago, iborguk said:

Means you have a cabin temp sensor in the mix as well.

I'd maybe start with a free aircon pressure test somewhere like Kwikfit unless it's under warranty.

https://www.kwik-fit.com/air-conditioning/free-aircon-check

Thanks it's probably worth doing that.

I did wonder about a cabin temp sensor, and where it might be/whether it's working.

6 minutes ago, cozzykim said:

Thanks it's probably worth doing that.

I did wonder about a cabin temp sensor, and where it might be/whether it's working.

Sorry that link I gave you doesn't cover a free pressure test, see this link here re their paid for re-gas service

https://www.kwik-fit.com/air-conditioning

They say the re-gas is free if they can't improve the temp by more than 10%

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cozzykim said:

The easiest way to check if both fans are working is have the car running and hit the AC Max buttom, this fires up both fans, you can then put your hand infront of each front wheel near the vent and feel the draught blowing through the rads on each side.

It is common for these fans to get blocked by small stones, so if one isn't blowing you can remove the wheel arch liner and spin by hand and remove any obvious stones and try the above again to see if they start spinning

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CMA said:

The easiest way to check if both fans are working is have the car running and hit the AC Max buttom, this fires up both fans, you can then put your hand infront of each front wheel near the vent and feel the draught blowing through the rads on each side.

It is common for these fans to get blocked by small stones, so if one isn't blowing you can remove the wheel arch liner and spin by hand and remove any obvious stones and try the above again to see if they start spinning

Excellent, I'll try this, thanks.

Ha 🙄 neither fan is running with the aircon on MAX, I'm just looking up how to remove the wheel arch liner now.

Maybe I should check the relevant fuse first? Anyone know which/where it is?

Thanks. If I can fix this then there's only the PDK stalling/software update left to look at.

Sorry for the thread hijack BTW. :blush:

Edited by cozzykim

8 minutes ago, cozzykim said:

Ha 🙄 neither fan is running with the aircon on MAX, I'm just looking up how to remove the wheel arch liner now.

Maybe I should check the relevant fuse first? Anyone know which/where it is?

Thanks. If I can fix this then there's only the PDK stalling/software update left to look at.

Sorry for the thread hijack BTW. :blush:

I thought the blower fan was by the cabin air filter as per the video I posted above and this from @daz05  or have I misunderstood the problem ? 

6 minutes ago, cozzykim said:

Both fans are in the front wheel arch, just behind the radiators, and they're both jammed solid. Not easy to get the front arch liner out but I've already got one running, so looks like the fuses are okay.

If you're struggling to get the liner out a poke through the vent with a suitable stick (with ignition off!) might free it up

On 7/26/2023 at 2:46 PM, hopz121 said:

100% 

I'd love a 4.0 GTS but is it worth the minimum £20k premium over the 718 GTS 2.5 no way. It's the pick of the bunch for sure but its not a £20k better car. 

I think in 10 years time the opposite will be true when the 4.0 flat 6 is the absolute pinnacle of our mid engined (non electric) cars.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CMA said:

If you're struggling to get the liner out a poke through the vent with a suitable stick (with ignition off!) might free it up

I tried that, no luck, they were well jammed.

All sorted now and aircon working properly, so thanks and sorry again for the hijack folks.

5 hours ago, iborguk said:

I thought the blower fan was by the cabin air filter as per the video I posted above and this from @daz05  or have I misunderstood the problem ? 

The cabin heater blower fan is indeed up by the filter, but the aircon fans are one behind each aircon condenser.

My aircon is now freezing cold after about 20 seconds with the engine running, and the dual zone is also working as it should. 

I owe you a pint someday for the initial remark in your previous post which got me on the right track. 👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cozzykim said:

I tried that, no luck, they were well jammed.

All sorted now and aircon working properly, so thanks and sorry again for the hijack folks.

The cabin heater blower fan is indeed up by the filter, but the aircon fans are one behind each aircon condenser.

My aircon is now freezing cold after about 20 seconds with the engine running, and the dual zone is also working as it should. 

I owe you a pint someday for the initial remark in your previous post which got me on the right track. 👍

Wow, great result, especially as it cost nowt!

• Haha 1

If I wanted to go as fast as I could on 4 wheels I'd have a Caterham 620 (not top speed obvs..).

The 981 is a sweet spot of performance and experience, so that's feel and sound really isn't it?  the Porsche flat 6 is sublime and the 4 pot turbo was done for a specific reason & that reason wasn't to win over purists.

We're all different and there is no right or wrong.

...but remember this folks: 4 wheels move the body and 2 wheels move the soul!

Edited by GTSMarky