981 what to buy?

Dubdubz

agreed. which is why I think I need to try a bigger engined one and one outcome is that I think, well that isnt that much quicker feeling than mine

I'm probably coming across as some hooligan that needs as iborguk said a missle - not so - I truly love my boxster its just always felt a little slow off the mark for me. 

and based on limited reference points I 'think' a 987.2 3.4 PDK would be the ideal but want to try a 981 too in case its the fast silky smooth evolution I am after

2 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

I'm probably coming across as some hooligan that needs as iborguk said a missle - not so - I truly love my boxster its just always felt a little slow off the mark for me. 

Nope you're not and like I said we all want different things.

The torque in my base 718 makes my previous 987.2 feel slow but again for me it's about the overall experience.

The 981 is the model in the series I haven't actually driven and would be interesting to hear how you feel about the 987.2 vs a 981 once you've done that.

• Like 1

also to add - I'm not after  escy style madness - just when I mash the throttle in the occasional spirited driving I want to be extra grinny on top of what it gives me.

If I go I'll report back. 987.2 is a 6hour round trip from me, 981 is about an hour...

Should be a interesting weekend for you, they are both great choices.

I went from 987.1S to 987.2S and then on to my current 981S.

My money is on the 981 but I’m biased 😂

You will feel the changes between 987.1 and 987.2 definitely more refined and quicker. My 987.2 was a very high spec and about 50k less mileage than my previous one. It was also my first PDK with I fell in love with on the first drive.

Looking forward to your thoughts and of course some pictures of the potential new cars👍

Re extra performance

Im an ex biker...

i get to use about 10% of my M5s performance.. so my 986S suits me fine.

somehow you can use more of a bike's performance than something with 4 wheels.

or maybe I'm an old git with an increased sense of self, and licence, preservation 😩

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dubdubz said:

also to add - I'm not after  escy style madness - just when I mash the throttle in the occasional spirited driving I want to be extra grinny on top of what it gives me.

If I go I'll report back. 987.2 is a 6hour round trip from me, 981 is about an hour...

I'm just down the A1 from you if you'd like a pillion in my BGTS just so you get a feel..

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, greenman986s said:

Re extra performance

Im an ex biker...

i get to use about 10% of my M5s performance.. so my 986S suits me fine.

somehow you can use more of a bike's performance than something with 4 wheels.

or maybe I'm an old git with an increased sense of self, and licence, preservation 😩

I'm more a biker than a car person & a bike is way easier to use at speed given the UK roads today.  It's a relative thing as my BGTS is what 340bhp (?) and weighs lots & my Ducati SFV4S is 208 bhp and weighs 185Kgs.  They both feel quick in their own way.

Funny how the topic of bikes has cropped up.

For months I’ve been looking at what £10k would upgrade me to from my car, the answer (in Boxster terms) is nothing, I haven’t found anything I’d even do a straight swap for.

However it has occurred to me that £10k would easily buy me an upgrade to my Vespa and a GPZ900R which I used to idolise when I had a GPZ500S. The only problem is that that I’d be killed. Not by the bike but by my wife.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, moospeed said:

However it has occurred to me that £10k would easily buy me an upgrade to my Vespa and a GPZ900R which I used to idolise when I had a GPZ500S. The only problem is that that I’d be killed. Not by the bike but by my wife.

I went to several international road safety conferences for work. I remember one comment that a big chunk of biker deaths was not 19 year olds as we might think but men over 40, who had got their licence at 18 and an accompanying small engined bike, left it for 20 years during marriage and kids, and then treated themselves to a nice 600+… without understanding just how much more powerful bikes had become over the years. 

Next time I’ll propose a survey of spouses. 

Edited by Menoporsche

6 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I went to several international road safety conferences for work. I remember one comment that a big chunk of biker deaths was not 19 year olds as we might think but men over 40, who had got their licence at 18 and an accompanying small engined bike, left it for 20 years during marriage and kids, and then treated themselves to a nice 600+… without understanding just how much more powerful bikes had become over the years. 

In the Road safety world commonly referred too as “The Born again Biker”

My wife is any orthopaedic surgeon  (and my father is a retired orthopaedic surgeon) 

I have a bike licence and have had a number of sports bikes.

My wife won't let me get another. The  Boxster is a way of keeping her happy.

They have both dealt with too many aftermaths of crashes involving bikes  and removed too many arms and legs and had patients die on the operating table to let me get another.

Edited by moonshine

On 6/4/2023 at 8:08 AM, Menoporsche said:

Yeah, I can understand that. For me it’s been a continuous thing for thirty years and riding for about 100 days a year so I’m not “born again” as such. Admittedly on a 125 now but previously up to 750s faster than the 900 I mentioned above. 

However the wife threat of death is very real.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, moonshine said:

My wife is any orthopaedic surgeon  (and my father is a retired orthopaedic surgeon) 

I have a bike licence and have had a number of sports bikes.

My wife won't let me get another. The  Boxster is a way of keeping her happy.

They have both dealt with too many aftermaths of crashes involving bikes  and removed too many arms and legs and had patients die on the operating table to let me get another.

..and they let you get into a car?  Don't these also crash and damage the occupants? Bicycles, planes, trains - anything can hurt you & it's how you use it.

Ridiculous.  Go get some advanced training or maybe don't leave the house and hope the roof doesn't fall in.

...tongue in cheek somewhat, but you get my drift!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Any updates on the original ops thoughts after his test drives?

Er didn’t happen as my current Boxster decided to have a strop. 
exhaust is now off as are the 6 cracked coil plugs 😮

• Sad 1

On 6/4/2023 at 7:51 AM, moospeed said:

Funny how the topic of bikes has cropped up.

For months I’ve been looking at what £10k would upgrade me to from my car, the answer (in Boxster terms) is nothing, I haven’t found anything I’d even do a straight swap for.

You can get a lot of classic bike for £10k.  My 1 owner 89 EXUP was 1/4 that price!!  My LC however you'd need that plus a bit..

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

..and they let you get into a car?  Don't these also crash and damage the occupants? Bicycles, planes, trains - anything can hurt you & it's how you use it.

Ridiculous.  Go get some advanced training or maybe don't leave the house and hope the roof doesn't fall in.

...tongue in cheek somewhat, but you get my drift!

It nothing to do with training.

It is the fact there is a disproportionate number of accidents involving bikes, the fact consequences of a minor off can be significantly more serious, and even if a crash is not your fault, the biker invariably comes off second best.

8 minutes ago, moonshine said:

It nothing to do with training.

It is the fact there is a disproportionate number of accidents involving bikes, the fact consequences of a minor off can be significantly more serious, and even if a crash is not your fault, the biker invariably comes off second best.

Statistically it is to do with training.

I do agree that of course a lesser protected human body is more likely to be injured when something happens to it, which is why a biker should wear the right kit, ride appropriately and be more aware of hazards than the average car driver who in my 41 years of motorcycling experience is a complete idiot.

There is the odd freak 'collision' I'm sure, but a significant number of 'accidents' are not accidents at all, but a lack of awareness or a lack of skill & totally avoidable.  If you don't have the capacity to manage the above , then definitely stay off motorcycles and bicycles come to that.  

Does your wife also ban you from football, rugby, horses, skiing, fell walking etc?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GTSMarky said:

I do agree that of course a lesser protected human body is more likely to be injured when something happens to it, which is why a biker should wear the right kit, ride appropriately and be more aware of hazards than the average car driver who in my 41 years of motorcycling experience is a complete idiot.

There is the odd freak 'collision' I'm sure, but a significant number of 'accidents' are not accidents at all, but a lack of awareness or a lack of skill & totally avoidable.  If you don't have the capacity to manage the above , then definitely stay off motorcycles and bicycles come to that.  

Does your wife also ban you from football, rugby, horses, skiing, fell walking etc?

We need to agree to differ. Nothing you say will change my position.

i suspect nothing i will say will change yours.

safe riding

end of discussion

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, moonshine said:

We need to agree to differ. Nothing you say will change my position.

i suspect nothing i will say will change yours.

safe riding

end of discussion

I stopped riding last year after 27 years of riding as I could tell my reactions were not that of a 20 year old and yet my pace was the same. I never had a major accident in all those years but it is a matter of time and think it takes experience and a real honesty to come to your conclusion which happens to be the same as mine.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

I lost a good friend 10 years ago last month who had been a biker for 15 years at the time, he'd gone from a Suzuki 600 to an Aprilia 1000 about a year before and had done advanced rider training on road and on track, he was a fit 43 year old who rode almost daily.  All the conclusions are that he simply made a mistake.  A similar mistake in a modern sports car may have left him in hospital for a few days and possibly casts for a few weeks, or he could have walked away feeling a bit stiff for a few days.  The people in the car he hit head-on were left with PTSD.

Bikers are more vulnerable; age and lack of fitness are cumulative factors.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

I lost a good friend 10 years ago last month who had been a biker for 15 years at the time, he'd gone from a Suzuki 600 to an Aprilia 1000 about a year before and had done advanced rider training on road and on track, he was a fit 43 year old who rode almost daily.  All the conclusions are that he simply made a mistake.  A similar mistake in a modern sports car may have left him in hospital for a few days and possibly casts for a few weeks, or he could have walked away feeling a bit stiff for a few days.  The people in the car he hit head-on were left with PTSD.

Bikers are more vulnerable; age and lack of fitness are cumulative factors.

I'm sorry to hear your story and for the loss of your friend.  I'm in no position to comment on the specifics and if the risk of riding a motorcycle is not for you, then for sure don't do it.

I've lost friends along the way too in cars & bikes.

Enjoy it while you can folks and let us all enjoy our Porsches!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Woooaahhh!

This thread has me thinking I maybe need to sell my 1300cc, 160bhp, Adventure bike, stop touring Europe every year on it with my mates and cease enjoying riding 5000 miles a year on two wheels!

But then again, I have been riding for 47 years now without a major incident...on everything from 50cc mopeds, through the 600's and 750's, to the 1000cc superbikes - R1's, Gixxers, Fireblades and Ducatis, and now Adventure bikes.

Am I too old...?

It would be like asking me to stop breathing!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Woooaahhh!

This thread has me thinking I maybe need to sell my 1300cc, 160bhp, Adventure bike, stop touring Europe every year on it with my mates and cease enjoying riding 5000 miles a year on two wheels!

But then again, I have been riding for 47 years now without a major incident...on everything from 50cc mopeds, through the 600's and 750's, to the 1000cc superbikes - R1's, Gixxers, Fireblades and Ducatis, and now Adventure bikes.

Am I too old...?

It would be like asking me to stop breathing!

So that's either a KTM or Ducati....

Don't stop.  Not everyone gets it hence the bias.