981 what to buy?

Dubdubz

I was quite taken with the 987 Spyder I drove, it felt more alive, I felt more connected and I did quite like using a manual again..... But on the way home I realised that the 981s is really quite similar you can get all of the same feelings, what you lose in steering feel you gain with sound but it's at a faster pace, it's just a more competent version of the same car, tbh it's just more refined at lower speed, the tech is definitely a leap forward on the 981, pasm and pdk noticeably so.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, iborguk said:

The move to an electric steering rack ? 

It seems so predictable to admit it though doesn't it?

It's just so...competent, that it smooths off the 987's rough edges, maybe that's it, not the steering.

The 987.2 2.9 was the best car I've driven since my old Sapphire Cossie 4x4 back in the 90s, and the 981S is better still.

I would try a few 981s as they do feel different to the 987.1 & .2 , the earlier 987.1 feels a lot more like you are driving the car rather than a disconnected steering feel in the 981 you simply cannot get away from the electric steering feel and unfortunately it put me off buying one . I opted for the 987.1 S after having a 2.7 987.1 5 speed before and finding like you it was a bit slower than I expected . The 987.1S is in the higher tax bracket but is at least 8-10k cheaper than a 987.2 and 20k cheaper than a 981 , mine is 20mm lower than normal with a Carnewal exhaust ,6 speed  manual , sports chrono , sports seats , 19" wheels with new Michelin Pilot Sport  4s tyres . I have driven and owned a lot of cars but this is on another level with steering feel  so don`t discount them or be put off by the road tax . 

• Thanks 1

I've recently discovered a setting in Piwis that allowed me to change the steering setting to that of the 991 GT3. I think it has improved it but not significantly, I need to go back to the old setting to remember what it was like before.

You have to watch out for the sweeping statements on 981 steering, if the car had power steering plus they feel very artificial compared to a car without, so a 987 owner jumping into a car with that option enabled will feel traumatic and I don't use that term lightly.

Tyres and geo make a difference, particularly in ensuring that the steering angle sensor has been reset after geo has been adjusted, it can make them feel a bit off otherwise.

A well sorted 981 considering my points above isn't a problem and I can jump into a 997 or 987 and appreciate the improvement but not be blown away by it. The internet is full of these sweeping statements based on individual experiences so take them with a pinch of salt.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, daz05 said:

I've recently discovered a setting in Piwis that allowed me to change the steering setting to that of the 991 GT3. I think it has improved it but not significantly, I need to go back to the old setting to remember what it was like before.

You have to watch out for the sweeping statements on 981 steering, if the car had power steering plus they feel very artificial compared to a car without, so a 987 owner jumping into a car with that option enabled will feel traumatic and I don't use that term lightly.

Tyres and geo make a difference, particularly in ensuring that the steering angle sensor has been reset after geo has been adjusted, it can make them feel a bit off otherwise.

A well sorted 981 considering my points above isn't a problem and I can jump into a 997 or 987 and appreciate the improvement but not be blown away by it. The internet is full of these sweeping statements based on individual experiences so take them with a pinch of salt.

I agree with what Daz is saying, I’m on my 4th Boxster which is a 981S and as you drive the different models you can feel the evolution. The 986S feels much more by the seat of your pants around the lanes and if you’re after maximum driver input and steering feel that may be one but it doesn’t make the others worse or less involving just more refined.

Im no Grand Prix driver but if I hadn’t read about the change in steering on the 981 I doubt I would of noticed, it hardly feels numb and I find it very precise.

• Like 1

I don’t think I’ve really driven mine in anger in the rain but I know these Goodyears aren’t as good in the cold as my old Michelins on the black edition.

I m a big believer that a good alignment, recent quality rubber and correct tyre pressure’s make a big difference to all Boxsters.

That reminds me I need to order a new tyre inflater, I’m going to get a rechargeable one as the plug in one drives me up the wall 😂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

That reminds me I need to order a new tyre inflater, I’m going to get a rechargeable one as the plug in one drives me up the wall 😂

Picked up one of these a while ago https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08ZSR8N5P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 10:06 PM, Lonewolfgjp said:

I went through this about a year ago and did my research, made my purchase and then realised it wasn't rechargeable. So yes I also need one. Plugging it in constantly is such an ar*e. The one I had and loved for years was from Michelin. It had a screw on valve thing and you could set the required pressure then let it do its thing. Some I have seen require you to hold a button constantly and some only have clip on valve things. In the end this Michelin device just stopped charging. I tried to fix it by replacing the battery but it didn't work.

1 hour ago, ATM said:

I went through this about a year ago and did my research, made my purchase and then realised it wasn't rechargeable. So yes I also need one. Plugging it in constantly is such an ar*e. The one I had and loved for years was from Michelin. It had a screw on valve thing and you could set the required pressure then let it do its thing. Some I have seen require you to hold a button constantly and some only have clip on valve things. In the end this Michelin device just stopped charging. I tried to fix it by replacing the battery but it didn't work.

The Ring one I linked is set the pressure and press a button and it will do its thing, automatically stopping at the pressure set. 

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, iborguk said:

The Ring one I linked is set the pressure and press a button and it will do its thing, automatically stopping at the pressure set. 

Do like the look of that, how quickly does it add say 2 psi to a tyre? My ciggy lighter one takes an age to even add a couple of psi😡

I've read lots of negative comments about the 981's steering being electrically supported, but for me I think it's ace.  Not saying other Porsche cars aren't better, but my BGTS has fantastic feel through the wheel.

I would add that on P Zeros (N0 & N1) the steering was grim, but then the whole car was in comparison to MPS4S being put on, so bear that in mind when driving anything as Pirellis need to go in the bin!

51 minutes ago, JurassicBGTS said:

Do like the look of that, how quickly does it add say 2 psi to a tyre? My ciggy lighter one takes an age to even add a couple of psi😡

I was in Halfords yesterday and picked up a Michelin rechargeable one, it small and compact. Digital gauge either psi or pounds and automatic cut off. It took 30 seconds to add 2psi in my tyres.

Im very impressed 😎

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JurassicBGTS said:

About 10 seconds for 0.5 PSI on some 17 inch tyres today. But can walk away and let it do it’s thing as it will stop once it's reached the required pressure, which I’m sure other products can also do.

Edited by iborguk

1 hour ago, JurassicBGTS said:

My ciggy lighter one takes an age to even add a couple of psi

Decades since I studied physics but doesn't it depend at which psi you start from?

Though I do remember when I had an electric inflator for an air mattress it seemed to take freaking ages.

4 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Decades since I studied physics but doesn't it depend at which psi you start from?

Though I do remember when I had an electric inflator for an air mattress it seemed to take freaking ages.

29.5 to 30 PSI in 10 seconds in the case of my example above.

49 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I was in Halfords yesterday and picked up a Michelin rechargeable one, it small and compact. Digital gauge either psi or pounds and automatic cut off. It took 30 seconds to add 2psi in my tyres.

Im very impressed 😎

Can you post a link?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Just for @Menoporsche. According to Bard:

No, it does not take the same amount of energy to raise the pressure of a gas, regardless of the starting pressure. The amount of energy required to raise the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to the starting pressure. This means that it takes less energy to raise the pressure of a gas that is already at a high pressure than it does to raise the pressure of a gas that is at a low pressure.

Here is an explanation of why this is the case. The pressure of a gas is determined by the number of gas molecules per unit volume and the average kinetic energy of the gas molecules. When the temperature of a gas is increased, the average kinetic energy of the gas molecules increases. This causes the gas molecules to move faster and collide with the walls of the container more often. The force of these collisions is what creates pressure.

If the starting pressure of a gas is high, this means that there are already a lot of gas molecules per unit volume and the average kinetic energy of the gas molecules is already high. In this case, it takes less energy to add more gas molecules to the container or to increase the average kinetic energy of the gas molecules, because there is already a lot of energy in the system.

If the starting pressure of a gas is low, this means that there are not many gas molecules per unit volume and the average kinetic energy of the gas molecules is not very high. In this case, it takes more energy to add more gas molecules to the container or to increase the average kinetic energy of the gas molecules, because there is not a lot of energy in the system.

Here is an example of how this works. Imagine that you have a container of gas at a pressure of 1 atmosphere. If you add more gas to the container, the pressure will increase. However, it will take less energy to add the same amount of gas to the container if the starting pressure is already high, such as 10 atmospheres.

This is because there is already a lot of energy in the system when the starting pressure is high. The gas molecules are already moving fast and colliding with the walls of the container frequently. Adding more gas molecules to the container will not require a lot of additional energy, because the gas molecules will already have a lot of energy.

On the other hand, if the starting pressure is low, such as 1 atmosphere, there is not a lot of energy in the system. The gas molecules are not moving very fast and they are not colliding with the walls of the container very frequently. Adding more gas molecules to the container will require a lot of additional energy, because the gas molecules will need to be accelerated to a higher speed in order to increase the pressure.

• Thanks 1

Wandered off topic a wee bit but that is what I genuinely love about this Forum. 😍

I am looking to try a 987.2 S on Saturday and a 981 S on Sunday

yes they are £11k apart dosh wise, but if the 981 is magical and what I am looking for I’ll work out the extra moolah. 

also it’ll give me some real reference on my 987.1 2.7 and if actually it’s not that slow… and may mean I’ll save loads and just keep mine 🤨

I think having owned motorbikes my speed/acceleration stimulus is perhaps off and maybe I need a rewire 😂

I think if the acceleration felt quicker it would probably keep me in the 2.7, wondered about the pedal boxes but that’s for a 987 section search 👀 

You'll never get close to a bike in anything short of Tesla/Taycan.

The trick to acceleration in these cars is to use a higher rev range.

There's also actual acceleration vs perceived speed, which is where wind noise and exhaust noise factor in.