Oil level sensor being a tw@

Cocky

Over the weekend I got a check oil level code. I presumed because most of my drives are quite hard on the car perhaps I've just burnt through a bit? 

The reading was level with the minimum line as you could expect. I added 1/2 a liter to what I imagined would take it up two bars warmed it back up but it stayed put on the reading. So I added some more & got it to temp and still not really going up. Basically had to drop in what I had which in my mind was too much. 

Then got the oil too high fault code I presume that's via the gasses? 

So today I've dropped the oil and started again. I dropped out 8l including what was in the filter & I've replaced it with 7 with the intention of adding some more if needed. 

Anyway the cars still claiming it's over full so I'm going to have to drive it and hopefully it will sort itself out, otherwise I'll look at what I need to do to swap the sensor. 

Does anybody actually know what each bar on the 987 oil read holds? 

2 hours ago, iborguk said:

400ml per bar and if you get the car plugged into a PIWIS it can provide the actual oil level ml value.

I always worked on 200ml per bar - 1 litre between top and bottom.

According to the US Owners manual PDF I have (987.2) :

The difference between the minimum and
maximum marks on the segment display is
approx. 1.3 quarts (1.25 litres).
One segment of the display corresponds to a
top-up quantity of approx. 0.42 quarts (0.4 litre).

And from WM170101 Checking engine-oil level

If the oil level drops below the Minimum marking, the segment below starts flashing!

The difference between the Min and Max markings is approx. 1.2 litres, i.e. one segment of the display corresponds to approx. 0.4 litres of oil.

Never top up engine oil above the Max marking.