Original 1999 Boxster 986 radio and cd changer needed.

Stubacca

Hi All, new to this platform so i hope this the is the right area to ask the question. I've bought a 99 Boxster on a shoestring budget and would like to get the radio head unit  it back to factory , i know they are out dated and poor by todays standards but i don't like looking at the aftermarket one in there currently! Does anyone know of a working head unit and disc changer with the RCA fittings ? im in South Wales but regularly in Midlands , Corby and Guildford so happy to travel to get one. id really appreciate any help in re-instating the car to the way it left the factory. thanks Stuart. 

2 hours ago, Stubacca said:

I've bought a 99 Boxster on a shoestring budget and would like to get the radio head unit  it back to factory

I respectfully submit you've got your priorities wrong :) 

hi @Stubacca and welcome.

There are some good aftermarket but OE style units available from Continental.  Look of the 90s with 21st century functions like Bluetooth, handsfree and DAB+ to name a few.  Quite a few people on here have fitted them.

Continental Automotive - Radios (continental-automotive.com)

If you do go OE we can point you to someone who can give you a code to unlock it if it doesn't have one.  Reliable sources my be the usual Porsche breakers, Douglas Valley Breakers (Steve Strange on eBay), Status Porsche, 9apart and Porsche Heaven.

For other OE matters there is a lot of knowledge on here as to who were the OE suppliers to Porsche so sourcing directly from the likes of Brembo, Bosch, Bilstein, Sachs, Textar, TRW, to name a few, can save a lot of pennies but still get you exactly what Porsche supplied.  Keep pinging up the questions and you will usually get a helpful answer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, cookie_911 said:

do you know if any of those Continental units control the original multichanger in the front?

No, but they will stream music when connected to your phone...  

• Thanks 1

I’ve got a continental unit in mine I don’t ever use CD’s now as I can stream everything the DAB radio is also great

Plus it’s looks OEM

Edited by the baron

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2023 at 1:06 PM, Stubacca said:

Hi All, new to this platform so i hope this the is the right area to ask the question. I've bought a 99 Boxster on a shoestring budget and would like to get the radio head unit  it back to factory , i know they are out dated and poor by todays standards but i don't like looking at the aftermarket one in there currently! Does anyone know of a working head unit and disc changer with the RCA fittings ? im in South Wales but regularly in Midlands , Corby and Guildford so happy to travel to get one. id really appreciate any help in re-instating the car to the way it left the factory. thanks Stuart. 

I've got a CDR-22 (single CD player) in my 986S.

Booked in to be replaced on the 12th Sept, will be putting it up for sale afterwards, £150.

Will throw in the cheap Chinese bluetooth adapter that's currently plugged in to the back of it for free!

I also have the original code card that came with it.

I live in Guildford.

IMG_2813.jpeg?rlkey=laff0uf9yk736vs12uir

Edited by allatsea
reduce price!