Re Gas Air con

Stark9

Sooo my last 981 I had for 6 years and never needed to be regassed. My current 718 which I bought from a dealer 18 months ago, now has no cold air at all. Last year I noticed cold was only coming out of one of the two central vents.

it’s still in warranty, so should I take it in or have it gassed elsewhere?

thank you 

It's possible it's not just needing a re-gas, could be a pinhole in one of the condensers rads. They are prone to stone damage or debris causing them to rot, in that case a re-gas wouldn't work and the warranty doesn't cover it. They may charge you a diagnosis fee in this instance if you take it elsewhere for repair

Kwikfit charge £65 and guarantee it works, so if you have a leak there is no charge. You could therefore try kwikfit, if it works you’ve spent less than your dealer, if it doesn’t then take it in for warranty work.

2 hours ago, BBB said:

Kwikfit charge £65 and guarantee it works, so if you have a leak there is no charge. You could therefore try kwikfit, if it works you’ve spent less than your dealer, if it doesn’t then take it in for warranty work.

Not quite a guarantee in the sense they stand by anything.The Vac / fill machine runs a  auto cycle .If it can’t hold a vac for ( insert time ) then it automatically doesn’t refill it .

At this point the fitter ( after the machines alerted ) will inform you and he will disconnect it and you drive away the same as you drove in .Charged zero . 
It’s all to do with the gas hygiene, you know holes in ozone etc .This protocol reckons to prevent refilling leaky systems…in theory. 

There might be a dye method ( for fee ) of them to ID the leaky part(s) in a upsell kinda way .

1 hour ago, Stark9 said:

Kwik Fit quote £129.95 for re gas 

ATS always have a deal on through Groupon and ive used them many times over the years.  

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/ats-euromaster-6

£93.99 and i tend to favour them over the local Kwik Fit. 

Edited by fizz

However if the unit gets damaged by a stone underneath, as that’s where I believe the unit is, you’re not covered by warranty.

let’s see how long the re-gas lasts and if less that a month then it’s definitely leaking 

15 minutes ago, Stark9 said:

However if the unit gets damaged by a stone underneath, as that’s where I believe the unit is, you’re not covered by warranty.

let’s see how long the re-gas lasts and if less that a month then it’s definitely leaking 

If you mean a stone hit to a condenser then I'd guess that's not covered although different folks appear to have got different responses re condenser replacements.

Edited by iborguk